My tang is covered in white spots. Ich braking out in my dt?

Zero_Cool

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I'm thanks. I've decided to treat the entire DT 1st with Polyp Lab Medic over 20 days. Hopefully I've caught it fast enough
I recently went the Polyplabs Medic (plus Ruby Reef Rally Pro) route and while it helped the symptomatic fish (Purple and Gem tangs) it was not without consequences. All of my LPS and Mushrooms are in bad shape and I am losing 90% of the acans that I have. I also lost a Mandarin and 3 Lyretail anthias that had been healthy in the tank prior to treatment. YMMV.

Good luck.

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went the Polyplabs Medic (plus Ruby Reef Rally Pro) route and while it helped the symptomatic fish (Purple and Gem tangs) it was not without consequences. All of my LPS and Mushrooms are in bad shape and I am losing 90% of the acans that I have. I also lost a Mandarin and 3 Lyretail anthias that had been healthy in the tank prior to treatment. YMMV.

Good luck.
Thanks.
I've read quite a few of the horror stories vs happy endings on this product. I'll also be using the Ruby Rally pro approach. This is my 1st marine tank only 2 mths old & the purple tang is absolutely beautiful. I'm very upset it's claiming him as the others are fine
Blue tang seems to be affected as well. I have 9 in the tank. He's swimming strong. Breathing fine, eating well, I hope it doesn't get any worse than this. I'll be keeping a journal throughout the treatment of course & just hope I can control this. I'm sorry to hear the Ill effects you encountered. Hopefully you can replace what you lost.

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
I've read quite a few of the horror stories vs happy endings on this product. I'll also be using the Ruby Rally pro approach. This is my 1st marine tank only 2 mths old & the purple tang is absolutely beautiful. I'm very upset it's claiming him as the others are fine
Blue tang seems to be affected as well. I have 9 in the tank. He's swimming strong. Breathing fine, eating well, I hope it doesn't get any worse than this. I'll be keeping a journal throughout the treatment of course & just hope I can control this. I'm sorry to hear the Ill effects you encountered. Hopefully you can replace what you lost.
Good news so far, I've been doing with the ginger for 2 days until I was able to buy the peroxide salt. The tangs skin is clear, either they've fallen off or the ginger helped. I've done 1 day of peroxide salt dosing and so far everything is ok. I'm doing it with the lights off n UV off. He's clean is the main thing. I'm hoping he won't be attacked again though.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news so far, I've been doing with the ginger for 2 days until I was able to buy the peroxide salt. The tangs skin is clear, either they've fallen off or the ginger helped. I've done 1 day of peroxide salt dosing and so far everything is ok. I'm doing it with the lights off n UV off. He's clean is the main thing. I'm hoping he won't be attacked again though.
This is the natural cycle of the parasite to fall off, reproduce, then attach to their fish host in a few days. Epsom salt is a freshwater treatment. Is there a reason you don’t want to use an appropriate treatment like copper?

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the natural cycle of the parasite to fall off, reproduce, then attach to their fish host in a few days. Epsom salt is a freshwater treatment. Is there a reason you don’t want to use an appropriate treatment like copper?
Because it's broken out in my DT and I have 9 fish in there. Only the purple tang is showing signs of being affected and blue tang a little. I took 6 fish from another tank added to my new 2 mth old DT. They had no spots and very healthy when I took them but added them all straight in. Either the stress or environment change may have caused it. I took 6 at once.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it's broken out in my DT and I have 9 fish in there. Only the purple tang is showing signs of being affected and blue tang a little. I took 6 fish from another tank added to my new 2 mth old DT. They had no spots and very healthy when I took them but added them all straight in. Either the stress or environment change may have caused it. I took 6 at once.
They likely had subclinical disease. Adding 9 fish to a new 60 gallon tank is a huge stress to the biological filter and to the fish. Are the all large fish/tangs? I would try to find a couple used 20 gallon tanks or 40 breeder for QT and run copper. They don’t have to be elaborate. Just a heater, airstone, and cheap hang on filter. You may be able to find used scratched tanks for almost nothing.

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They likely had subclinical disease. Adding 9 fish to a new 60 gallon tank is a huge stress to the biological filter and to the fish. Are the all large fish/tangs? I would try to find a couple used 20 gallon tanks or 40 breeder for QT and run copper. They don’t have to be elaborate. Just a heater, airstone, and cheap hang on filter. You may be able to find used scratched tanks for almost nothing.
I have a QT. But can I treat 9 fish in there. Big purple tang
Regal blue tang
4 clownfish.
Foxface
Chromis
And I think another tang type

Attachments

• 16909877298952332822918520334532.jpg
    16909877298952332822918520334532.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no where to put them while running DT fallow 8 weeks

Apayson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a few extra bucks you should get either a few more 10 gallon quarantine tanks or maybe a 55 gallon aqueon tank to treat more fish at once....only If you can keep with with those water changes.... Petco usually has good tank deals in the summer time.
Here's a video on how to identify Ich. (Step by step guide to treat ich is here) I've never heard of the meds you're trying out but Copper is known to be the most effective.
It also recommended to use nitrofurazone with copper. PSA: research your fish's sensitivity to these meds before treating them.

(Rock & ceramic media absorb medication....I noticed those in your QT)

Sounds like you set up this system too fast if it's really been set up 2 months. General rule is to never double your bio load in 30 days. (as in do not double the amount of fish)

Treat the fish who are most in danger, showing extreme symptoms. It's true that it would take almost 80 days with no fish for the ich to disapear on it's own. So looks like you'll have to manage as best you can.

Last edited:

Apayson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a few bucks you should get either a few more 10 gallon quarantine tanks or maybe a 55 gallon aqueon tank to treat more fish at once. Petco usually has good deals in the summer time.
Here's a video on how to treat for ich. I've never heard of the meds you're trying out but Copper is known to be the most effective. It also recommended to use nitrofurazone with copper. PSA: research your fish's sensitivity to these meds before treating them

Sounds like you set up this system too fast if it's really been set up 2 months. General rule is to never double your bio load in 30 days. (as in do not double the amount of fish)

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a few extra bucks you should get either a few more 10 gallon quarantine tanks or maybe a 55 gallon aqueon tank to treat more fish at once....only If you can keep with with those water changes.... Petco usually has good tank deals in the summer time.
Here's a video on how to treat for ich. I've never heard of the meds you're trying out but Copper is known to be the most effective.
It also recommended to use nitrofurazone with copper. PSA: research your fish's sensitivity to these meds before treating them.

(Rock & ceramic media absorb medication....I noticed those in your QT)

Treat the fish who are most in danger, showing extreme symptoms. It's true that it would take almost 80 days with no fish for the ich to disapear on it's own. So looks like you'll have to manage as best you can.
Yes thankyou.
I bought redsea 90 lights from a shut down tank & was offered his livestock. Being a new tank I thought I would handle it. I only had the foxface and 2 juvenile Nemo's. I was aware of the risk but his tank looked lovely & fish very healthy. His was established 5 years. He's otherwise very healthy. Swimming strong, eating well and breathing fine. Ill just have to go a day at a time but I will try treating 22 days of peroxide in case it helps to contain it

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thankyou.
I bought redsea 90 lights from a shut down tank & was offered his livestock. Being a new tank I thought I would handle it. I only had the foxface and 2 juvenile Nemo's. I was aware of the risk but his tank looked lovely & fish very healthy. His was established 5 years. He's otherwise very healthy. Swimming strong, eating well and breathing fine. Ill just have to go a day at a time but I will try treating 22 days of peroxide in case it helps to contain it

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you are going to be in this hobby a long time with larger tank upgrades in the future. I know it hurts the wallet spending on things that don’t go into the display or are nice to look at. A good QT , or several, setup will save you headaches in the future. Check let-go and other classifieds for cheap tanks to use. As above I bet you could find a cheap 40 or 55 that would be perfect for QT.

Apayson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thankyou.
Sometimes the fish can have diseases like ich but show no symptoms. The move into a new tank likely stressed them out so much that it caused an outbreak.

Even if a fish looks healthy in someone else's tank they should always be quarantined as a preventative measure before adding them into your display tank

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thankyou.
Is that QT big enough to house a Purple tang for a copper treatment of all else fails, it'll be my first sick fish and use of the QT

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the fish can have diseases like ich but show no symptoms. The move into a new tank likely stressed them out so much that it caused an outbreak.

Even if a fish looks healthy in someone else's tank they should always be quarantined as a preventative measure before adding them into your display tank

I think it's more likely that his original 3 fish had Ich (and were not affected), and the addition of 9 fish (with TWO tangs in there) in a 60G triggered a massive stress event on not just the fish but the tank itself, as well as spreading that ich to healthy fish he received

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's more likely that his original 3 fish had Ich (and were not affected), and the addition of 9 fish (with TWO tangs in there) in a 60G triggered a massive stress event on not just the fish but the tank itself, as well as spreading that ich to healthy fish he received
My tank was 2 mths old & it's a "she " not "he"!

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original 3 were quarantined after the DT was cycled. The Purple tang moved from a 3 ft to my 4 ft so should settle in well. All parameters have remained stable I'm just curious what I've introduced from a 5 yr est tank

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was 2 mths old & it's a "she " not "he"!
Apologies, always accidentally default to he, I should start being more cognizant and use "their" more. Meant no offense.

But 2 months is still VERY new in terms of tank age, and definitely cannot handle 3 big additions (ones that do not fit 60G to boot), not to mention the additional 6 (which again, do not fit the 60G)

Back