My very first ich outbreak!! Yay?

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread alone is why I prefer coral over fish.

If my clown perished I don't think I'd get another fish unless I had a dedicated qt.

Idc if I have to spot feed zoas haha not qting a dt sounds like Russian roulette

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems you have it under control. What's the problem? You have the expertise to deal with the issue you just gotta go deal with it.
I just ain’t too sure about the setup. It’d be an old 10 gallon top fin, but there’d be no special filtration and whatnot, just a tank filled with saltwater and an air stone. So I’m just wondering what maintenance should be done.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ain’t too sure about the setup. It’d be an old 10 gallon top fin, but there’d be no special filtration and whatnot, just a tank filled with saltwater and an air stone. So I’m just wondering what maintenance should be done.
I'd assume ammonia badge and more water changes than normal

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo... is QT and fallow unnecessary? Should I just keep maintaining the tank??

Everything is still swimming eating and there’s no scratching but the spots are undoubtedly ich.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo... is QT and fallow unnecessary? Should I just keep maintaining the tank??

If getting RID of ich is your goal then you need to
If trying to just keep ur fish alive long as possible withiut fallow then yeah u don't need to.
My clown came clean but within a day had a few bumps they went away and came back on its face a few weeks later (was changing lights out and adding live stock so stressors) no he's been clean for a month.

I know it was stress induced ich. Do I wanna go fallow? No. Did I even want fish? No. I will let my fish run its ichy course and if it dies it dies. I am in the hobby for coral tbh and I got the fish from liveaquaria and don't get me started on how bad they shipped it.

So in short. Depends your mind set. For me it's not worth it to go fallow for 1 fish and no plans to get more, just coral. If you want more fish yeah you have to go fallow.

Welcome to the ichy thunderdome of fish care

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If getting RID of ich is your goal then you need to
If trying to just keep ur fish alive long as possible withiut fallow then yeah u don't need to.
My clown came clean but within a day had a few bumps they went away and came back on its face a few weeks later (was changing lights out and adding live stock so stressors) no he's been clean for a month.

I know it was stress induced ich. Do I wanna go fallow? No. Did I even want fish? No. I will let my fish run its ichy course and if it dies it dies. I am in the hobby for coral tbh and I got the fish from liveaquaria and don't get me started on how bad they shipped it.

So in short. Depends your mind set. For me it's not worth it to go fallow for 1 fish and no plans to get more, just coral. If you want more fish yeah you have to go fallow.

Welcome to the ichy thunderdome of fish care
I mean, if I clean my tank often enough and keep them happy...will they survive? How hardy/ich resistant are clowns, firefish, royal grammas, and sharknose gobies?

how long will the fish survive? Long enough for me to address the situation? Or will they start dropping dead soon?

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, if I clean my tank often enough and keep them happy...will they survive? How hardy/ich resistant are clowns, firefish, royal grammas, and sharknose gobies?

how long will the fish survive? Long enough for me to address the situation? Or will they start dropping dead soon?
Certain fish are more hardy to it than others. Stressors will affect if the ich flourishes or not. Maybe even introducing a weak immune system fish could start it popping up on all fish.

If you no longer see white dots it's in the tank just not active. Like fishy herpes.

You won't be eradicating any ich in that tank with fish still in. Must be fallow and you must treat the fish or EVENTUALLY ich will return to the display.

In my case I point out that yes my tank for sure has ich cause my clown had it. It probably has stomach parasites too as my clown popped white strings for the first month but now is completely fine.

Keeping them happy will prolong its life but it's death will inevitably be from ich.

In my opinion putting another fish in that tank while you leave it Un eradicated is dumb and a waste of money.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There's no timetable for how long fish can live with ich. Many fish never show any serious issues, while others succumb quickly. Even if you battle it back and don't see signs, it's there and will come back up when you introduce a new fish. So you're going to be stuck with not being able to get new fish as long as there is ich in the system.

The one thing to consider is overall fish health and responsibility. At best there are little parasites biting into the fish and causing irritation and stress and probably gill damage. At worst, they die. We've all had to decide at some point what level of discomfort we're OK with vs. the difficulty of actually solving the problem.

It's not SUPER hard to fix. You just have to get the fish out and put them somewhere safe for a bit, and make sure you're feeding/monitoring the main tank so corals get what they need. It's not great, but then you're setting yourself up for success.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no timetable for how long fish can live with ich. Many fish never show any serious issues, while others succumb quickly. Even if you battle it back and don't see signs, it's there and will come back up when you introduce a new fish. So you're going to be stuck with not being able to get new fish as long as there is ich in the system.

The one thing to consider is overall fish health and responsibility. At best there are little parasites biting into the fish and causing irritation and stress and probably gill damage. At worst, they die. We've all had to decide at some point what level of discomfort we're OK with vs. the difficulty of actually solving the problem.

It's not SUPER hard to fix. You just have to get the fish out and put them somewhere safe for a bit, and make sure you're feeding/monitoring the main tank so corals get what they need. It's not great, but then you're setting yourself up for success.
+1 this

If I were you I'd just go out and buy a cheap qt set up that can be set up for 70+ days. The more you put into the problem now the less of a headache the problem inevitably becomes. If I planned on keeping more fish I for sure would've bought a smaller AIO for convenience QT. In my opinion it's worth the money and saves your DT from crap like this.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 this

If I were you I'd just go out and buy a cheap qt set up that can be set up for 70+ days. The more you put into the problem now the less of a headache the problem inevitably becomes. If I planned on keeping more fish I for sure would've bought a smaller AIO for convenience QT. In my opinion it's worth the money and saves your DT from crap like this.

I use the 30 gallon aquatop AIO! Love it! Comes with a little skimmer and everything :)

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna look into this tank for qt once I upgrade from my Fluval to a 60 plus gallon

This is the one I have. I think the pandi-inflation hit it. I got it for sub 400 in early march.....

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass is very very nice. Reminds me of my xl300, so very nice for a QT. I'm using chelated copper when I run it, so I can turn it into a nano tank later :)

Even had a glass top ....I stepped on it..........;(

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass is very very nice. Reminds me of my xl300, so very nice for a QT. I'm using chelated copper when I run it, so I can turn it into a nano tank later :)

Even had a glass top ....I stepped on it..........;(
Ooooo that's really nice! Thanks for the tip! Gunna check this out.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FCA4FAAC-329B-4C0B-BC9A-4AB829CD0B78.jpeg

S***.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots are very tiny, though. Is it velvet? I suppose all find out which one based on how fast they drop...
It's for sure ich. There is no time table for how long you have. It affects all fish different. Surprised your clown didn't get it first. It's usually clowns I see in an ich tank get it first.

Now you should 100 percent go buy a qt and fallow your DT while treating fish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back