OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question(s): when setting up a qt tank — does the nitrogen cycle no longer matter in desperate times? Or should I use some of my tank water to fill the qt tank? Or should I purchase nitrifying bacteria to fill the water? Also, is no real filtration fine? How would you guys go about setting up a qt tank, using an old top fin 10 gallon starter kit?
Also, what is the best way of transferring fish without stressing them more (especially for the firefish, who is honestly doing the worst of them all right now)?

Reefertime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience if whatever reason you can’t quarantine I’d suggest just keeping your water as clean as you can and feed them really good food with a lot of vitamins, most the time I’ve had it go away but velvet that’s a different story

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience if whatever reason you can’t quarantine I’d suggest just keeping your water as clean as you can and feed them really good food with a lot of vitamins, most the time I’ve had it go away but velvet that’s a different story
I think it’s ich but the firefish is covered, and definitely has a more speckled velvety appearance than the sharknose goby. Maybe (hopefully) it’s ich, I guess I’d know in a day or two if it’s still alive or not whether it was velvet. I’ve been cleaning my tank weekly and have been feeding omega one garlic infused pellets, which is supposedly really healthy. I’ve also tried brine shrimp, but it wound up mostly uneaten and fowling up the water. Everything is acting and eating fine minus the firefish occasionally striking against the glass and sometimes gasping at the top for a few minutes. I’ll probably quarantine. Having a fish tank with the stress factor that one day the ich can take over since it’s always there seems unsettling. I’d rather eliminate it and be done with it. I thought I could get away with throwing livestock right into the DT like I have with FW all these years, but I suppose I’ve learned my lesson.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is one of the many tanks on the list of why I won't get another fish no matter how pretty or perfect it is for my tank until I can qt. It's just not worth the money time and energy to NOT.

Reefertime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s ich but the firefish is covered, and definitely has a more speckled velvety appearance than the sharknose goby. Maybe (hopefully) it’s ich, I guess I’d know in a day or two if it’s still alive or not whether it was velvet. I’ve been cleaning my tank weekly and have been feeding omega one garlic infused pellets, which is supposedly really healthy. I’ve also tried brine shrimp, but it wound up mostly uneaten and fowling up the water. Everything is acting and eating fine minus the firefish occasionally striking against the glass and sometimes gasping at the top for a few minutes. I’ll probably quarantine. Having a fish tank with the stress factor that one day the ich can take over since it’s always there seems unsettling. I’d rather eliminate it and be done with it. I thought I could get away with throwing livestock right into the DT like I have with FW all these years, but I suppose I’ve learned my lesson.

Yeah if there gasping for air at the top sounds like velvet I would start a quarantine ASAP

Reefertime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is one of the many tanks on the list of why I won't get another fish no matter how pretty or perfect it is for my tank until I can qt. It's just not worth the money time and energy to NOT.

My tank was running fine for years but I just had to get one more fish and I lost everything even after treating my main display with cupramine which did nothing to the velvet even at high dosage

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was running fine for years but I just had to get one more fish and I lost everything even after treating my main display with cupramine which did nothing to the velvet even at high dosage

Congrats now YOUR tank is on the list

So glad I'm more into coral the fish are just a nitrate source

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s less spots on the firefish today, so I’d imagine they’ve fallen off. During this window I’ll begin QT preparations, and only hope they’ll all pull through. I don’t think it’s velvet anymore, as all my fish are still alive. Interestingly enough, the firefish is the only one right now who looks infected. Perhaps he is the worst at fighting it off? He’s acting relatively normal minus occasionally going to the surface and lots of scratching on surfaces. You know, the usual.
8D42AEAD-0726-4DAD-98D3-5517C94B7BD2.jpeg

1B8335AE-1646-47A6-AC28-318D332D2602.jpeg

A2CFB3AB-EAC8-4427-A6D5-CFAAAF692581.jpeg

859CD47C-50CE-44AF-BCDE-6691665E7B32.jpeg

Last edited:

brian2kgt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out for info on setting up a quarantine tank...

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At The lfs I go to by my house the guy has it growing so thick it plates off the glass I’m happy to just see a couple spores here and there
Oooooooof

At that point id literally be one of those people who only buys from WWC and super clean facilities. Even then though No thanks!

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone go through with me all the steps of quarantining, just so that I don’t mess up when I do?

This is what I'd use:
  1. small tank (crappy 10g is fine since your fish are small)
  2. a hang on back filter
  3. cheap power head
  4. heater
  5. ammonia alert badge
  6. some sort of bacteria in a bottle (dr Tim, fritz, bio-spiral, whatever)
  7. Copper power
  8. API copper test kit
  9. PVC elbows for the fish to chill in
What you do (simplified edition):
  1. get all the gear in the tank
  2. mix in new water
  3. add in enough copper power to get to 1ppm
  4. add the fish
  5. raise copper to 1.5ppm in 48 hours
  6. over the following 48 hours get to 2.0ppm
  7. over the next 48 hours get to 2.5ppm
  8. leave the fish in 2.5ppm copper for 30 days (so its 30 days in 2.5ppm. NOT 30 days total)
Use the nitrifying bacteria to soak the hell out of the sponge in the HOB. To further keep ammonia down: water changes & net out any uneaten food. its easier if you feed tiny bits and make sure each piece is eaten.

Speaking of water changes!!!! pre-dose the water change water to 2.5ppm. do NOT let the copper level drop. do not add new water then try to guess how much copper you have to add. Its 100x easier if the water is pre-dosed.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I'd use:
  2. a hang on back filter
  3. cheap power head
  4. heater
  5. ammonia alert badge
  7. Copper power
  8. API copper test kit
  2. mix in new water
  4. add the fish
  8. leave the fish in 2.5ppm copper for 30 days (so its 30 days in 2.5ppm. NOT 30 days total)
Use the nitrifying bacteria to soak the hell out of the sponge in the HOB. To further keep ammonia down: water changes & net out any uneaten food. its easier if you feed tiny bits and make sure each piece is eaten.

Speaking of water changes!!!! pre-dose the water change water to 2.5ppm. do NOT let the copper level drop. do not add new water then try to guess how much copper you have to add. Its 100x easier if the water is pre-dosed.
Thanks! Luckily, the firefish is losing the cysts and is acting better. This gives me a bigger window to set up the qt tank properly before the ich resurfaces.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I'd use:
  2. a hang on back filter
  3. cheap power head
  4. heater
  5. ammonia alert badge
  7. Copper power
  8. API copper test kit
  2. mix in new water
  4. add the fish

+1000 the water change advice.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back