Mystery Shark Egg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately I think the shark didn't make it through out the morphing stage, I don't see it moving or and breathing, I wasn't able to take a video as requested but I will most likely buy another. I'm going to leave the egg in it's casing and in the tank for a couple days to make sure but if I don't see it breathing by then I'm to open the egg case and take it out.
That sucks! I am sorry for your loss.
Did you gain any knowledge that might have given you any insight as to what went wrong. Sometimes we do something early on and then find out it was a bad idea or do you think it was just bad luck.

OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately I think the shark didn't make it through out the morphing stage, I don't see it moving or and breathing, I wasn't able to take a video as requested but I will most likely buy another. I'm going to leave the egg in it's casing and in the tank for a couple days to make sure but if I don't see it breathing by then I'm to open the egg case and take it out.
Update: the shark egg is moving again and he keeps knocking over the gg from what I can see he looks healthy I will get a video of him moving as soon as possible

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Update: the shark egg is moving again and he keeps knocking over the gg from what I can see he looks healthy I will get a video of him moving as soon as possible
What ?? WOW !!!

Damian reef boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Jejejeje (evil laugh btw)

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I got it !!! I know what kind of shark this is . . . . . . . .

IT'S A CAT SHARK ! IT HAS NINE LIVES ! :D :D :D

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an egg from a stegostoma fasciatum- aka zebra shark. As they near hatching the movement in the egg will decrease and they will even appear to stop breathing. They grow quickly. Up to 30 inches in the first year. I had luck with mysis and chopped Fresh clam. It’s ok too if it doesn’t eat right away, they will not have an appetite until the yolk sac is completely gone. It’s best to hang the egg with the opening side down for easier hatching. There is a good article out of Scipps about them and the hatching from the elasmobranch husbandry manual that is worth a read. Im pretty sure it was vol I, for which I have attached a link. It could have been from the shark supplement in Drum and Croaker too. As for that rapid growth to 30 inches. Most of it is tail. They are a slender, light shark, but they do need to be fed frequently, the uneaten food removed and minimal to no decor in the tank. I would start with a 40 breeder and move up from there. The tank you have would be very difficult to work with due to the height. Those swimming pools or poly stock Tanks are a better longer term solution. Good luck they look incredible as a pup. Also Add a screen to the top of the tank. Mine decided to go surfing one day.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back