Nasty case of red cyano and my battle

Coralmaniac21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add flow if possible

I found flow doesnt do anything for cyano ive had it blasted directly with a power head and it still grows.

I used chemiclean and it didnt kill all of it in the 48 hours. So i dosed it again waited another 48 hours 90% of it was dead. Ao i dosed agaun then waited another 48 hours so 6 days total and it was all gone from what i could see.

Then i just put charcoal in the tank for a few days

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found flow doesnt do anything for cyano ive had it blasted directly with a power head and it still grows.

I used chemiclean and it didnt kill all of it in the 48 hours. So i dosed it again waited another 48 hours 90% of it was dead. Ao i dosed agaun then waited another 48 hours so 6 days total and it was all gone from what i could see.

Then i just put charcoal in the tank for a few days

Thank you, I have done the 6 day chemiclean also in the past. Myself I have better results with Ultralife and without the large water change after.

Before my most resent dose of red slime remover, I was dosing H2O2 16 ml daily split into two doses. I did notice that the cyano was reduced, but not going away. I might to another week of the H2O2 with a less of amount to see if that kill the trace amounts in the system.

I do agree with @DSC reef that antibiotics are not the answer and it is more of imbalance in the system.

Coralmaniac21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did a water change with chemiclean i straigjt dosed up every 48 hrs for 6 days then dumped in a bad of charcoal on my hob.. i had no money for salt so i didnt bother.. charcoal will get rid of any medication anyway water changes are meh after medicating for me anyway.

I probly should have at least vacuumed the sand bed all the dead cyano left alot of detrious from it floating around

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did a water change with chemiclean i straigjt dosed up every 48 hrs for 6 days then dumped in a bad of charcoal on my hob.. i had no money for salt so i didnt bother.. charcoal will get rid of any medication anyway water changes are meh after medicating for me anyway.

I probly should have at least vacuumed the sand bed all the dead cyano left alot of detrious from it floating around

Good point with the vacuum after the fact.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker any updates? I'm battling the same thing it's crazy how aggressive this can be!
Thank you for checking back.

Once again, I am treating the system with red slime remover. Next to balance out the nutrients and let the system ride for a month or so. :) Cyano gets frustrating at times, once I balance out my nutrients I should be good to go

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for checking back.

Once again, I am treating the system with red slime remover. Next to balance out the nutrients and let the system ride for a month or so. :) Cyano gets frustrating at times, once I balance out my nutrients I should be good to go
Just curious what is your PO4 and NO3 at now and what will you aim for? I will be doing the same with the attempt to raise nutrients minus the red slime remover.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I have noticed after rebuilding my gyre 130's and moving the gyres lower in the tank, that my cyano is disappearing without out doing little else. I do have one cluster in an area that has low flow. I am going to increase the flow in this area with two new gyre 330's and adjust the flow pattern with the new settings via the app with a forward and reverse flow to increase the flow.

My thinking is by increasing the flow to the dead areas and watching my nutrients will solve my cyano issues. This sound so simple, but like I have said and other have said in the past. Increase the flow :)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump?

I have cyano that I cannot get rid of! Nutrients are 25/0.1

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say I am cyano free now but that was because of a move. I kept all my rock wet and had it sitting in dark curing bins with saltwater and a powerhead for several months. Only thing that survived it was a mutant strain of hair algae that I still have lol.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump?

I have cyano that I cannot get rid of! Nutrients are 25/0.1
I started does vodka/carbon dosing 3 weeks ago to bring down my nutrients. I have also discovered that by changing my RO/DI filet regularly my Cyano is stay way.

I would suggest using a red slime remover, and then does vibrant to get rid of your cyano. Vibrant is a form of carbon dosing, I switch to vodka for a less expensive product.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say I am cyano free now but that was because of a move. I kept all my rock wet and had it sitting in dark curing bins with saltwater and a powerhead for several months. Only thing that survived it was a mutant strain of hair algae that I still have lol.
Check your nutrients, I would say the your nitrates are high.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your nutrients, I would say the your nitrates are high.
I'm intentionally running the tank on easy street so I'm not stressing it at the moment. PO4 is high and nitrates have been right around 10ppm. I'm trying to take the natural approach with grazers while hopefully letting coral outcompete while avoiding anything knee jerk at this point.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm intentionally running the tank on easy street so I'm not stressing it at the moment. PO4 is high and nitrates have been right around 10ppm. I'm trying to take the natural approach with grazers while hopefully letting coral outcompete while avoiding anything knee jerk at this point.
How are things going with your Cyano?

I am cyano free. ;Happy

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things going with your Cyano?

I an cyano free. ;Happy
Same here! So I moved a little over a year ago and kept all of my rock wet and aerated but in covered containers for several months before I set my system back up. That was the nail in the coffin for the cyano and I haven't had any since.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here! So I moved a little over a year ago and kept all of my rock wet and aerated but in covered containers for several months before I set my system back up. That was the nail in the coffin for the cyano and I haven't had any since.
That is a good feeling !!;Happy

I am currently dosing bio pellets and NitraPhos minus. These two are really getting my nutrients under control.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good feeling !!;Happy

I am currently dosing bio pellets and NitraPhos minus. These two are really getting my nutrients under control.
It really is! The funny thing is I have been running my system skimmerless since the move (with a relatively low fish load) and still no cyano. The strain that I had in the system was definitely unlike any other I've had in the past.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The strain that I had in the system was definitely unlike any other I've had in the past.
What is your observation on the difference? This would help others. :)

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It formed very thick, dark maroon mats that were resistant to high flow. I remember introducing it on a specific frag plug. IIRC it did change color with an H202 test but H202 dosing was not effective. Just overall it was a very tank adapted strain.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It formed very thick, dark maroon mats that were resistant to high flow. I remember introducing it on a specific frag plug. IIRC it did change color with an H202 test but H202 dosing was not effective. Just overall it was a very tank adapted strain.

lol,
After adding in that uncured rock last summer, I'm still working on getting my reef to be truly stabled back out.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 78.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back