OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read through the previous 18x pages - but how certain are you on it being Cyano, vs dinos/spirulina/diatoms/other algae, etc

It was cyano, and pictured and discussed.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem turned my light off four three days and it all died and never returned. Corals were fine. Fish of course were fine.

I that has worked for others, I wanted to find out why the cyano was coming back and fix the issue.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, turned down the white light spectrum Friday 12/1/17 from 8 hours to 5 hours and algae is all gone.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, turned down the white light spectrum Friday 12/1/17 from 8 hours to 5 hours and algae is all gone.

That's awesome. I just treated my tank with chemiclean...tried all the usual stuff - more flow, less white light, nutrients in check. I think I just had an overwhelming bacterial load. It's gone now...hoping that with my nutrients back from ridiculous levels it will stay gone.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. I just treated my tank with chemiclean...tried all the usual stuff - more flow, less white light, nutrients in check. I think I just had an overwhelming bacterial load. It's gone now...hoping that with my nutrients back from ridiculous levels it will stay gone.

Several thing that I saw as I am reflecting back.

Balancing the phosphates and nitrates.

Cyano cleans work, but I found that my system almost became amune to the cleaner and the cleaner stop being as effective and the first time I dosed

Clean the substraight

Right now I am only running filter socks 3 days a week.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah. I'd like to thank mud and Bactria for this award , my toothbrush and of course the ocean. ;Couchpotato

I am so jealous that you have the Ocean in you backyard and can do water changes without mixing.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am back to the battle with cyano.

After having a conversation with @DSC reef and the suggestion of using Dr Tim's Waste Away, I think I will give this a try. Dennis also suggest bring in @Fishfinder for some input on dosing and the success using waste away.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waste away worked good for me, it wiped my cyano out. The only issue is that it came back about 2 weeks later. I think its a flow problem in that particular area. But yes it worked good

So now i just live with it until i can adjust my flow

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good results with adding a different strain of bacteria. Led me to believe a bacterial imbalance can be a cause for cyano.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After having a conversation with @DSC reef and the suggestion of using Dr Tim's Waste Away, I think I will give this a try. Dennis also suggest bring in @Fishfinder for some input on dosing and the success using waste away.

I have been using waste away for about a year. I use once a week a capful for my 40b have not noticed any ill effects. So i dont forget i dose microbacter 7 and 2 ml of vibrant at the same time. (Bio sundays)

I have also been battling red cyano since i had an issue with my work schedule and forgetting i left my doser dosing n and p. Po4 reached like 6ppm no3 like 60ppm

Started seeing it going away using a reactor of purigen and a reactor of gfo. For the large amount of po4 it has locked up i also put 8 tablespoons of phosguard in my filter sock. Dump and re add every 3 days with the sock change.

I did also do a single dose of ultralife red slime remover.

With the intent the media above will remove what is broken down instead of being available for more cyano. This was the “i am never home” cure i came up with. Starting to see my rock again and po4 is now at a .48 ppm so slowly getting there.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like its a spring thing. Maybe not since you are in Fla. Was it the same time last year or the year before? Light coming in the window differently?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did also do a single dose of ultralife red slime remover.

Yes, I am doing Ultralife now. Sunday is when the 48 hr are up.

Sounds like its a spring thing.

I tend to agree, I really think it is the C02 in the house. The tank is in my home office and I workout of the home office quite a bit.

Light coming in the window differently

I have a thick window shade and very little light gets in. I was thinking it might be my LED light from my desk.
E5A8D2F2-62D8-4F09-8C2E-FC01BA304533.jpeg

It has been a frustrating battle and trying to discover the source that is feeding it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.7%
Back