Need help, clownfish not looking good

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two clownfish today after I got my water tested qt my lfs and they looked good and even ate but now idk what happing but one is swimming rlly fast against the glass while the other is at the back and I think he is breathing heavy. Help

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two clownfish today after I got my water tested qt my lfs and they looked good and even ate but now idk what happing but one is swimming rlly fast against the glass while the other is at the back and I think he is breathing heavy. Help

Post some photos. Also post your water parameters.

The LFS doesn't do true QT. They medicate their systems out of necessity as they are always adding new fish to inventory and do this to keep disease at bay.

ReefJuice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on a number of factors, but I would guess that it is likely stress from relocation. I've had two clowns in my tank for 4 months now, and just only recently they seem to be getting more comfortable. The first few weeks the pair of them just hid in the corner of the tank. They may not have a safe spot for them to hide in. I wouldn't be too worried yet.

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now both of them are swimming against the glass which isnt too bad i guess, i was more worried about my larger clown is the back of the tank not swimming much ( also expected ig because its close to night time ) but opening and closing its mouth really fast. i cant really see its gills

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on a number of factors, but I would guess that it is likely stress from relocation. I've had two clowns in my tank for 4 months now, and just only recently they seem to be getting more comfortable. The first few weeks the pair of them just hid in the corner of the tank. They may not have a safe spot for them to hide in. I wouldn't be too worried yet.
oh okay, i do have a bunch of caves etc but they dont really go there, and yea mine really stayed at the back for the first few hours

PlumbTuckered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy breathing is indicative of DISEASE and not stress.

As has been suggested, post photos.

Swimming against glass may be flow reflecting off the glass. Fish with Brtook or Velvet will swim into flow to increase their oxygenation over their gills.

ReefJuice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy breathing is indicative of DISEASE and not stress.

As has been suggested, post photos.

Swimming against glass may be flow reflecting off the glass. Fish with Brtook or Velvet will swim into flow to increase their oxygenation over their gills.
Judging from his video it's hard to tell if that's heavy breathing or not. But we don't know that much about the tank. How much flow he has, how much gas exchange he has going, the water parameters, what are the other tank inhabitants. If he just got the fish today and it occurred between the LFS and his tank it's tough to say. Did he acclimate them before he put them in? Were there any signs at the LFS? If it is trouble with breathing then it may be as you describe, but if he's panicked and isn't 100% sure if it's breathing or just stress then it may be jumping the gun to say it's disease. Just my two cents. If it IS disease, then there's a lot more questions that need to be asked. From his video I'd say don't get too worried yet, but as always monitor your tank inhabitants. Also since they're already in your display it's a done deal, but in the future consider a quarantine tank for any new fish you may pick up.

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m convinced some Lfs sell clownfish with bad husbandry. Try to get bigger ones that look healthy and you know they have good clownfish. Also try uploading a video to YouTube or Imgur or something and then post the link

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • No

Votes: 143 78.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 19 10.4%

Back