Need help, clownfish not looking good

ReefJuice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the YouTube link, it's mought is pale here

That coloration is definitely not normal, maybe a bacterial infection but I'm no expert on fish disease. This is a pinned thread on this forum. Hope it helps:

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That coloration is definitely not normal, maybe a bacterial infection but I'm no expert on fish disease. This is a pinned thread on this forum. Hope it helps:
you think so ?, is looks fine now and it wasnt really fungus like to me irl

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it have been just from stress as i freaked out and turned the tank lights on ?

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OKAYY i turned all light off in my room and i can see the smaller clown freaking out again and swimming really fast against he glass and top

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their face are always their lightest part and gets darker last as they grow up.

You seem to have quite strong lights and flow - at LFS they have much less light in fish only tanks maybe you just havent spotted their lighter face color before.

I would turn flow down a bit and maybe adjust lights a little bit as well until they get used to their environment.

Were they asleep and you turned the lights up on them?

ReefJuice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it have been just from stress as i freaked out and turned the tank lights on ?
It's possible. But one thing I should say is any rapid changes in reef tanks tend make things worse, so get as much information as you can. If some more senior members of the community weigh in here see what they have to say. Keep observing them and see if anything else changes. Here's another thread about stress:

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their face are always their lightest part and gets darker last as they grow up.

You seem to have quite strong lights and flow - at LFS they have much less light in fish only tanks maybe you just havent spotted their lighter face color before.

I would turn flow down a bit and maybe adjust lights a little bit as well until they get used to their environment.

Were they asleep and you turned the lights up on them?
there was definitly a colour change and also yeah possibly because this clown was at the back i turned the lights on because i saw the other clown freaking out against the glass. i have turned my lights off since and my lights were off for the first 6 hours after adding them. also turned my powerhead off

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it certainly looks different than the behaivor of any other fish, this is really common for new clowns that haven't yet found a "home" which would be a coral or an anemone. Once the hosting happens the odd looking behavior will look more normal.

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it certainly looks different than the behaivor of any other fish, this is really common for new clowns that haven't yet found a "home" which would be a coral or an anemone. Once the hosting happens the odd looking behavior will look more normal.
Well thats a relief, I need to stop freaking out everytime. I'll post an update tomorrow on hoe they are doing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can you post a couple still pics under white lighting ? The face is very faded and this may very well be Brooklynella but want to confirm.

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a couple still pics under white lighting ? The face is very faded and this may very well be Brooklynella but want to confirm.
The face is coloured again now and the room is completely dark now and I don't think it will be a good idea to turn the lights on again or it might cause stress. I will post more tomorrow and the video I sent earlier was after this faded face

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats a relief, I need to stop freaking out everytime. I'll post an update tomorrow on hoe they are doing.
I thought mine were done. They'd fluttered sideways at the top of the water. In nature they would have been picked off by a bird or something. Mine were pen raised like I'm sure yours are so it takes a little time for them to fall into the right behavior. Now they host two giant anemones and hatch eggs about every 3 weeks.

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought mine were done. They'd fluttered sideways at the top of the water. In nature they would have been picked off by a bird or something. Mine were pen raised like I'm sure yours are so it takes a little time for them to fall into the right behavior. Now they host two giant anemones and hatch eggs about every 3 weeks.
dang I would've had a heart attack, I would love an anenome but I'm trying not to impulse buy right now. My plan it to wait a couple months and get my water tested by a red sea test kit etc and then maybe buy a BTA. These things aren't cheap where I live either lol

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably a good plan. Good news is the BTA's are pretty hardy and have a lot of forgiveness. They're actually really good to have because they'll change their appearance if they're not happy but will struggle and work with you till you get things right. Much better than the unforgiving options that tell you things aren't great by death.

ReefJuice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang I would've had a heart attack, I would love an anenome but I'm trying not to impulse buy right now. My plan it to wait a couple months and get my water tested by a red sea test kit etc and then maybe buy a BTA. These things aren't cheap where I live either lol
Technically you don't need an anemone for a clown to host. They're perfectly fine without them. They may not even immediately take to it if you added it to the tank. Also keep in mind that anemones can wander, so if you don't have a lot of tank real estate and you have corals or plan to have corals in your tank the sting of the tentacles can damage or kill them. Also getting your water tested by the LFS is okay, but I would highly recommend you buy your own test kits and test the water yourself. It's best to keep a running track of your tank's water parameters because they can change daily, that way you at least have more information if something goes wrong.

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Similar behaviour the next day and I added a bit of flakes ( I had pellets but was told by lfs flakes are better for these small ones ) which the ignored a bit so I added some mixed with garlic essence which they also ignored for the most part. Do they look okay in the video ? The lights were just turned on but I have my bills up so they can easy get used to it getting lighter.

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats definitely good it didnt went south overnight!

I'd just watch them and maybe read up on diseases in general and create a plan what you gonna do if it goes south.

Careful with feeding not to foul the water - you can feed them with a tweezer instead of just throwing stuff in the water - that way if they dont eat it you can just take it out. Long fish tank tweezers are also very useful to remove uneaten food flying around in water.

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This doesn't look too good, I noticed a white spot on one of the clownfish. ( I'm told the stingy poop is normal for the bigenning by my lfs because I think they feed mysis)

Back