Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to everyone I’ve been deployed and have been working overtime so have not been able to keep up.

Hello, I have a 10’X5’x32” FOWLR aquarium. Working on proper stocking, current plans are coral cat shark and white spotted bamboo shark, miniatus grouper, blue dot grouper and a blue line grouper. I will probably at a yellow headed eel as well. Could I also add a wrasse or two to increase the activity in the aquarium? Also, I am open to other stocking ideas.
Dragon wrasse, red coris, red breasted Māori wrasse, and perhaps a banana (Thalassoma lutescens) or Lunare wrasse would be my suggestions. A hogfish would also work as would most relatives of the wrasse I suggested. Those are just the best imo.

I would also consider a big angel like a queen or king and perhaps some tangs.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased my first saltwater tank, a 15-gallon AIO cube, which is now fully cycled and I want some suggestions or critiques for my stocking list. :)

Current Wishlist:
- Hi Fin Banded Goby OR Yasha Goby (whichever one I can get ahold of at my LFS)
- Tailspot Blenny
- Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp
- Blue Tuxedo Urchin
- Potentially some small Hermit Crabs and Snails

Also, since I want at least 1 Ocellaris Clownfish in my tank would it be better to go with a pair of Clownfish, or to go with 1 Clownfish and 1 Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse?
I would go with either the blenny or a single clown. Saltwater fish are used to big spaces and generally need bigger tanks so small tanks can become aggressive fast.

Otherwise it looks great! Good luck!!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello hello! My 13.5 evo has recently become entirely fishless, so I've been considering stocking options. There are also no large shrimp, just my tuxedo urchin, some hermits, snails and micro brittle/harlequin stars. Tank is well-stocked with small but healthy coral colonies.

My current thoughts are:
1x Pink streaked wrasse
1x yasha goby - maybe a pistol shrimp with it.

Two fish feels alright in this tank, and I'm not sure adding more than two would overstock it. Thoughts?

Also any additional considerations for stocking options would be welcome.
Sounds great to me! I would say two is your max unless it’s mollies or tiny gobies.

Maybe try a cleaner shrimp though. They are always fun!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke hey there friend!
I see you said you were deployed so if the response takes time no worries!
I'm curious how normal it is for a wrasse to hide in the rocks?
Is it eating? It could just be nervous while it gets used to the tank.
Also we lost our Fox Face Tang overnight (RIP Brad) :disappointed-face:
Sorry
Do you feed them nori? You have a lot of herbivores and they may need it.

predatorFishie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it eating? It could just be nervous while it gets used to the tank.

Sorry
Do you feed them nori? You have a lot of herbivores and they may need it.
The Wrasse has been eating and he was swimming all over the tank then just one day found him hiding inside the rock structure and he stayed there a whole day.

Yes sir we feed them nori and brine shrimp as well as half shell clams now for the puffer but i've seen the others eating the clams too. Maybe we can up the nori amount to either 1 -1/2 sheets or 2 sheets; they're like 8in.X4in.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a somewhat related question.

I’m looking to school 3 (2f/1m) Bartlett or Bimac Anthias. What’s more of a pink fish, and two, what’s the easier fish to keep?
This would be a great separate thread as I have pretty much the same question

getreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 40g came in damaged by the shipper and i've since ordered an IM fusion pro 2 aio 50g and have revised my stock list. removed the firefish and the dragonet. (was worried the firefish would just be bullied the whole time and the dragonet would be more work than i desired).

x1 midas blenny
x1 oscellaris clown
x1 red-lined wrasse (replacing the dragonet)
x1 royal gramma
x1 blue sapphire damselfish OR school of chromis (replacing the firefish)
x1 wheeler's shrimp goby
x1 randall's pistol shrimp
x1 skunk cleaner shrimp
x3 sexy shrimp
x5 nassarius
x4 spiny star atraea
x3 trochus
x1 dwarf blue leg hermit
x1 electric blue hermit
x1 scarlet reef hermit
x1 halloween hermit
x1 polka dot hermit

-i tried to pick out a variety of fish that could stick up for themselves while also not being total serial killers. researched the wrasse a bit and it seems to be pretty tame, even towards cuc from what i've read around here.

-the gramma and damsel's are aggressive but i've seen so much conflicting information here that i'm willing to give it a shot on my own. i know the blue sapphire is probably the least aggressive of the small damsels but will expect it to patrol a swim zone territory. hoping the gramma is chill enough with some caves.

-if the damsel is really too aggressive i was wondering if i could replace with some blue/green chromis and how big of a school i could keep with this stocking plan.

thoughts?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 40g came in damaged by the shipper and i've since ordered an IM fusion pro 2 aio 50g and have revised my stock list. removed the firefish and the dragonet. (was worried the firefish would just be bullied the whole time and the dragonet would be more work than i desired).

x1 midas blenny
x1 oscellaris clown
x1 red-lined wrasse (replacing the dragonet)
x1 royal gramma
x1 blue sapphire damselfish OR school of chromis (replacing the firefish)
x1 wheeler's shrimp goby
x1 randall's pistol shrimp
x1 skunk cleaner shrimp
x3 sexy shrimp
x5 nassarius
x4 spiny star atraea
x3 trochus
x1 dwarf blue leg hermit
x1 electric blue hermit
x1 scarlet reef hermit
x1 halloween hermit
x1 polka dot hermit

-i tried to pick out a variety of fish that could stick up for themselves while also not being total serial killers. researched the wrasse a bit and it seems to be pretty tame, even towards cuc from what i've read around here.

-the gramma and damsel's are aggressive but i've seen so much conflicting information here that i'm willing to give it a shot on my own. i know the blue sapphire is probably the least aggressive of the small damsels but will expect it to patrol a swim zone territory. hoping the gramma is chill enough with some caves.

-if the damsel is really too aggressive i was wondering if i could replace with some blue/green chromis and how big of a school i could keep with this stocking plan.

thoughts?
The chromis is a good idea but don’t get a school. Just get one. Though they have a tendency to bring disease into a tank so read up on that.
I don’t find royal grammas to be bullies except to new additions. All damsels can be aggressive. A fire fish may work. Mine is out all the time in a big tank with tons of fish. You need a lid though.

stambo3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to buy three small fish - Zebrasoma scopas, Acanthurus pyroferus and Ctenochaetus binotatus. I would like to use the Hybrid TTM, but I only have two 10 gallon tanks to transfer. If I may ask, will it be a problem in such small gallons for three tang fish to survive the TTM method or will the fish fight during the quarantine? If they don't show aggression now, when they grow up will they start fighting?
My DT tank is 150 gallons and only has two little clowns in it.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to buy three small fish - Zebrasoma scopas, Acanthurus pyroferus and Ctenochaetus binotatus. I would like to use the Hybrid TTM, but I only have two 10 gallon tanks to transfer. If I may ask, will it be a problem in such small gallons for three tang fish to survive the TTM method or will the fish fight during the quarantine? If they don't show aggression now, when they grow up will they start fighting?
My DT tank is 150 gallons and only has two little clowns in it.
I think I’d try and do them separately. The Cten first, the zebra second, and the acan last just because you want to add them in order of aggression and 10 gallons is too small for more than one. In all likelihood aggression will decrease rather than increase in the long term. That is a fairly safe mix of tangs though so hopefully should work out.

I will say that tangs aren’t really my thing so you may want a second opinion.

predatorFishie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some suggestions for new fish in our tank again..... We have lost 3 in 2 weeks.... We have someone who takes care of the "numbers" when it comes to the water, so we think there is something else going on with personalities maybe.

RIP Fox face Tang (Brad) had been in the tank for over a year
RIP Porcupine Puffer (PuffKat) was fairly new
RIP Banana Wrasse (Skittles) was a new addition with the puffer

Current residents:
Sailfin tang (Jerry)
Chocolate Tang (Lemon Drop)
Blue line Grouper (Mr. Grumps)
Rabbit Fish (Bunnie)
Magnificent Fox Face (Queen Cleo)
Engineer Gobi (Noodle)
Lionfish (Leo)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some suggestions for new fish in our tank again..... We have lost 3 in 2 weeks.... We have someone who takes care of the "numbers" when it comes to the water, so we think there is something else going on with personalities maybe.

Current residents:
Sailfin tang (Jerry)
Rabbit Fish (Bunnie)
Engineer Gobi (Noodle)
Lionfish (Leo)
Hmm? Maybe we need some help from an expert @lion king?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current residents:
Sailfin tang (Jerry)
Rabbit Fish (Bunnie)
Engineer Gobi (Noodle)
Lionfish (Leo)

1st did these fish just show up dead one day without any warning; no loss of appetite, flashing, swimming at the surface, cloudy eyes, breathing, etc? Where there any physical signs; abrasions, puncture wounds, signs of stress in any way? What size tank are we talking, have you tested for ammonia? Do you qt, if so what is your protocol? Did you get them from the same source? I hope you are not asking about getting a new fish before you figure this out, losing 3 fish in 2 weeks is not normal. You do not have any serial killers and overall should be a pretty agreeable bunch providing they are in a properly sized tank.

Last edited:

nathanielt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to hobby. I have a Red Sea Max Nano Peninsula (100L/26G overall capacity; 87L/23G in display). Two months old (the picture was when new; I'm now in an ugly stage). No corals yet (I figure 4-6 months out for me to learn and for tank to stabilize before going there).

Current inhabitants:

Pistol shrimp
Peppermint shrimp
Tuxedo urchin
Tiger conch
Various hermits and snails

In quarantine:
Yellow watchman goby--to be released Christmas day

Wishlist:
2x Ocellaris clown
Tail spot blenny
Purple firefish
Kaudern's cardinal
Royal gramma basslet
Blue sapphire damselfish

Highest priority are the clowns and the blenny, but my thinking is clowns last because greatest risk of aggression. And tank is probably too small for the entire wishlist.

What do I strike from the list?

And how many can I QT together, and in what order (QT is 10G, with Seachem Tidal 55 HOB + air pump / Sera sponge filter)?

IMG_1876 (1).jpg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to hobby. I have a Red Sea Max Nano Peninsula (100L/26G overall capacity; 87L/23G in display). Two months old (the picture was when new; I'm now in an ugly stage). No corals yet (I figure 4-6 months out for me to learn and for tank to stabilize before going there).

Current inhabitants:
Pistol shrimp
Peppermint shrimp
Tuxedo urchin
Tiger conch
Various hermits and snails

In quarantine:
Yellow watchman goby--to be released Christmas day

Wishlist:
2x Ocellaris clown
Classic. Tough but sometimes aggressive
Tail spot blenny
Good
Purple firefish
Good if you have a lid.
Kaudern's cardinal
I'd strike this one because they are pretty boring and surprisingly aggressive
Royal gramma basslet
Same as the clowns. May want to pic just one or the other.
Blue sapphire damselfish
I'd also strike this because it is the most aggressive on the list.
Highest priority are the clowns and the blenny, but my thinking is clowns last because greatest risk of aggression. And tank is probably too small for the entire wishlist.
All true
What do I strike from the list?
I'd strike cardinal, damsel, and maybe basslet
And how many can I QT together, and in what order (QT is 10G, with Seachem Tidal 55 HOB + air pump / Sera sponge filter)?
2 or 3

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 41 28.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 30 20.5%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 53 36.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back