Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on the stocking list for an IM 25 lagoon I'm setting up.

Pair of clowns (Ocellaris or Percula)
Tailspot Blenny
Yellow Watchman Goby w/ Pistol Shrimp
Pink Streaked Wrasse
Court Jester Goby

Not sure if that would be overstocked.
Its a lot of fish for a 25 but they are all very reasonable.
Some alternatives we've looked at are Royal Gramma and Yellowtail or Pavu Damsel.
These are all too much for a 25 I think.
I'm new to saltwater tanks so would appreciate advice on CUC too - types and numbers to start.
I would suggest some dwarf nerites, a few small hermits like the blue legged, and maybe 3 -5 medium snails. Trochus are the best medium snail but astrea, margaritta, ceriths, etc would all work. Finally a 2-4 nassarius or a fighting conch.

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a lot of fish for a 25 but they are all very reasonable.

These are all too much for a 25 I think.

I would suggest some dwarf nerites, a few small hermits like the blue legged, and maybe 3 -5 medium snails. Trochus are the best medium snail but astrea, margaritta, ceriths, etc would all work. Finally a 2-4 nassarius or a fighting conch.
Thanks so much! Would the order of adding them make any difference?

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a McCosker's and Exquisite wrasse coming in soon for my tank. Recently I've been looking at the Flame wrasse as a possible addition, would there be any problems if I were to try and introduce one with these two already existing in the tank?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a McCosker's and Exquisite wrasse coming in soon for my tank. Recently I've been looking at the Flame wrasse as a possible addition, would there be any problems if I were to try and introduce one with these two already existing in the tank?
Nope. Should work just fine. Though there are multiple fairy wrasse called a flame they all should do well with those two.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that fish is endemic to Hawaii so no longer available. C shutmani and C efatensis are available though.

I'm a Hawaii resident, collection is allowed for our personal home aquariums so I'm all good to go on that end. The hardest part I think would be actually catching the fish lol, the flame and a yellow tang are on my list of "If I see it in a tide pool, I just might"

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have friends that regularly go spearfishing, etc. so I may also ask them to try if they see anything while they're out in the water

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a Hawaii resident, collection is allowed for our personal home aquariums so I'm all good to go on that end. The hardest part I think would be actually catching the fish lol, the flame and a yellow tang are on my list of "If I see it in a tide pool, I just might"
Oh!
I was just in Maui for work. I loved diving there and was so excited to see A chrysocephalus. One of my favorite wrasse. Never saw a jordani though sadly.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh!
I was just in Maui for work. I loved diving there and was so excited to see A chrysocephalus. One of my favorite wrasse. Never saw a jordani though sadly.

Yeah I'm gonna try a mix of scouring tide pools and having people look out in the reef once I get a QT tank set up. It's pretty crazy how easily accessible some species are out here. I'm like 5 minutes out from the nearest beach so it's just a matter of loading up a bucket with a net/rod and I'm all good to go

RI Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to determine what has killed the various shrimp in my tank. I am thinking it is either the cherub angel fish or the melinarus wrasse? What do you guys think?

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am ready for new fish to an established 90g fowlr tank that has 1 bristletooth tang and some hermits/Nass snails/short spine urchins
Want an input for fish stock as I have a decent idea of what I want.

My husband really likes the bangai cardinals. So I was thinking 2 but I know They can pair off and be aggressive. Is the tank big enough for a pair? Would I have to worry about them being jerks?
*must have is a Starry blenny, flame hawk and a heni banner fish
Additional add on would be a coral beauty or a flame angel, possibly a one spot foxface,
Red head solon fairy wrasse
Would also like to add a purple dottyback or some type of Basslet. Would love some anthias but not sure if they will be good in my tank or if I'd be able to accommodate them.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am ready for new fish to an established 90g fowlr tank that has 1 bristletooth tang and some hermits/Nass snails/short spine urchins
Want an input for fish stock as I have a decent idea of what I want.

My husband really likes the bangai cardinals. So I was thinking 2 but I know They can pair off and be aggressive.
They will be fine if you get a male and a female. Sexing is possible but difficult. Males have bigger more robust jaws. Otherwise not that aggressive. Though being nocturnal they can be a bit passive (boring during the day)
*must have is a Starry blenny, flame hawk and a heni banner fish
Hawkfish can be aggressive and the banner fish may get a bit big for your tank.
Additional add on would be a coral beauty or a flame angel, possibly a one spot foxface,
Get one angel and the fox. Two angels would probably fight.
Red head solon fairy wrasse
Good
Would also like to add a purple dottyback or some type of Basslet.
Basslet definitely. Dottybacks are very aggressive. Basslets are far more peaceful
Would love some anthias but not sure if they will be good in my tank or if I'd be able to accommodate them.
Get one. They actually do better singly just remember they need food very regularly so if you don’t have an auto feeder or someone around to throw food in a few times a day it will probably starve.

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be fine if you get a male and a female. Sexing is possible but difficult. Males have bigger more robust jaws. Otherwise not that aggressive. Though being nocturnal they can be a bit passive (boring during the day)

Hawkfish can be aggressive and the banner fish may get a bit big for your tank.

Get one angel and the fox. Two angels would probably fight.

Good

Basslet definitely. Dottybacks are very aggressive. Basslets are far more peaceful

Get one. They actually do better singly just remember they need food very regularly so if you don’t have an auto feeder or someone around to throw food in a few times a day it will probably starve.
Awesome thanks. I'll pass that info along to my husband to see if he's still interested in getting the banggais. Any suggestions for a substitute?

I recently lost my hawk and he was such a model citizen, we loved him. My heni (actually is the one pictured in my profile along with my foxface) they both recently died of old age (were 12) It's my favorite fish so that's why I'd love to have one again, same with the foxface.

Definitely wouldn't get two angels, just one or the other but not sure which one would be a better fit.

noted on the anthias. One would be awesome, I'm a stay at home mom so I am able to care for the tank all day so feedings would not be an issue. Any suggestions for a hardy species to start with?

Thanks again!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks. I'll pass that info along to my husband to see if he's still interested in getting the banggais. Any suggestions for a substitute?
You can always go with another wrasse. Like a flasher
I recently lost my hawk and he was such a model citizen, we loved him. My heni (actually is the one pictured in my profile along with my foxface) they both recently died of old age (were 12) It's my favorite fish so that's why I'd love to have one again, same with the foxface.

Definitely wouldn't get two angels, just one or the other but not sure which one would be a better fit.
They are very closely related. I like the flame because it really stands out.
noted on the anthias. One would be awesome, I'm a stay at home mom so I am able to care for the tank all day so feedings would not be an issue. Any suggestions for a hardy species to start with?
Dispar, ignitus, squares, lyretails
Thanks again!

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just restarting my 32 gallon Biocube after a move.

Been running for almost a month now and things are going great. Parameters are steady. Diatoms are dying down and my CuC and Linear Blenny (Ecsenius lineatus) are thriving.

My local Petco is my only saltwater supplier and I have been watching this Regal Damselfish (Neopomacentrus cyanomos) for over a month now. It's a beautiful fish and holding it's own in a tank with 5 tomato clowns (cause Petco).

Wondering if anybody has kept this fish before and if it's the horror most damsel fish are?

Very impressed it's survived a month at a Petco especially in a tank with a bunch of bully clowns chasing it and it still looks healthy as a horse.

Just want to know more about the fish itself and other people's experiences with it?

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just restarting my 32 gallon Biocube after a move.

Been running for almost a month now and things are going great. Parameters are steady. Diatoms are dying down and my CuC and Linear Blenny (Ecsenius lineatus) are thriving.

My local Petco is my only saltwater supplier and I have been watching this Regal Damselfish (Neopomacentrus cyanomos) for over a month now. It's a beautiful fish and holding it's own in a tank with 5 tomato clowns (cause Petco).

Wondering if anybody has kept this fish before and if it's the horror most damsel fish are?

Very impressed it's survived a month at a Petco especially in a tank with a bunch of bully clowns chasing it and it still looks healthy as a horse.

Just want to know more about the fish itself and other people's experiences with it?
Unfortunately I have no experience with this fish. I suggest copying this post into its own thread as that will get more eyes on it.

MissingYuengling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about a year into my 100g as a brand-new reefer. I have had problems with GHA on and off the past year, impacting my skills at keeping many coral (have zoas and GSP right now). I have the following fish doing well in my tank and generally getting along (listed in order I introduced them). I do have a decent amount of rockwork for fish to hide in:

1. 2x Midnight Lightning Clownfish
2. Sailfin/Algae Blenny
3. Aiptasia Eating Filefish
4. Royal Gramma Basslet
5. Yellow Watchman/Prawn Goby

I am looking to add so more fish, in this order:

6. 1x Lyretail Anthias
7. Flame Hawkfish
8. Bristletooth, tomini, or powdered Brown Tang
9. Yellow Tang
10. One-Spot Foxface

Thanks for any feedback. Do you recommend different or additional fish?

Cheers,
M.Y.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back