Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about stock lists for a future rsr250 (DT is ~55g roughly 36” x 20” x 21”)

I will have a normal sand bed, planned on mixed reef lps+sps

Definite wants:
2x clown
Some sort of wrasse (I used to have a six line, but they are hit and miss in terms of aggressiveness, maybe a flasher wrasse pair?)
Will you have sand? I suggest a small Halichoeres, fairy, flasher, or leopard.
Such as a yellow or radiant
A Lubbock, or bruneus fairy
Blue, filamented flasher
Blue star or any leopard

Don’t pair. Get two different species
Possible additions:
Goby of some sort..any recommendations?
High fin, orange spotted, clown, vampire, yasha, yellow
I really wanted a tang, but even for a tomini tang I hear really should be 75g+
Yeah maybe a brennt though
Royal gramma
Good
Should be first fish as they are shy
Need a lid too (same for wrasse)
Probably typical cuc, likely no shrimp

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add a black tip reef shark with my clown goby?

In all seriousness, does anyone have experience with a clown trigger or a humuhumunukunukuapua`a trigger with small fish? e.g. damsels, clowns, etc...
You might get away with it but I’ve even found the more peaceful triggers to be aggressive. Will certainly make adding more fish more difficult

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of "pod eaters" in my tank I have 3 Banggai Cardinals and a McCosker's Wrasse, and there's also an Exquisite Wrasse coming in. Would any of these cause problems if I were to add in a Mandarin? I feel like I'm getting close to having a good enough pod population to sustain one.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of "pod eaters" in my tank I have 3 Banggai Cardinals and a McCosker's Wrasse, and there's also an Exquisite Wrasse coming in. Would any of these cause problems if I were to add in a Mandarin? I feel like I'm getting close to having a good enough pod population to sustain one.
None of those are pod eaters. All are open water feeders rather than rock peckers. A mandarin is of course a rock pecker aka it eats pods from the rocks and sand.

Does that make sense?

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those are pod eaters. All are open water feeders rather than rock peckers. A mandarin is of course a rock pecker aka it eats pods from the rocks and sand.

Does that make sense?

Ah I guess I was speaking more in terms of who I've seen picking off pods from the glass. But yeah they probably wouldn't have any overlap then

NanoNana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Y’all. Things with the first tank are coming together.
Found a used 24 gallon aquatop with nice pump and skimmer upgrades and tons of extras like testers, filter media, power heads temp probes, ato, vacuum four 5 gallon lidded containers for RO/DI, rock, stand etc. pretty much everything that nickels and dimes you to death all for the low low price of 1/3 of my budget.
Installing RO/DI system in the basement this weekend so I can bleach the old live rock and my noopsyche has shipped.
I’m thinking ahead to fish and trying to get a stock list together.
Based on dimensions and math, the display area is 20.3 gallons minus displacement from rock and sand.
As I’ve stated, this tank is for the enjoyment of my family and especially of my elderly parents.
I gave the 3 grandkids and my parents photos of appropriate nano fish thinking surely at least 2 of them would choose the same fish….. no. They all chose a different one which equals too many fish. Choices were:
1) Azure damsel (middle grandson reminds him of Dory)
2) Royal Gramma (the two year old has good taste)
3) Pink Spotted shrimp goby with a red banded pistol shrimp( 11 year old grandson)
4) Blue green Chromis (my mom. Actually said I don’t care what else goes in as long as I get one of these ‍♀️)
5) Coral beauty or flame Angel (my dad)

Someone is going to have to learn to live with disappointment lol. Only softies and maybe some LPS like hammers will be in the tank as far as corals.

What grouping of the above would you recommend or any substitutions you’d suggest.

Things on the list that I liked but did not make the cut were Midas blenny, tailspot blenny, yellow clown goby.

This will be a clownish free zone

CUC will be standard fair of snails some crabs, other shrimp. I do want a clam.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Y’all. Things with the first tank are coming together.
Found a used 24 gallon aquatop with nice pump and skimmer upgrades and tons of extras like testers, filter media, power heads temp probes, ato, vacuum four 5 gallon lidded containers for RO/DI, rock, stand etc. pretty much everything that nickels and dimes you to death all for the low low price of 1/3 of my budget.
Installing RO/DI system in the basement this weekend so I can bleach the old live rock and my noopsyche has shipped.
I’m thinking ahead to fish and trying to get a stock list together.
Based on dimensions and math, the display area is 20.3 gallons minus displacement from rock and sand.
As I’ve stated, this tank is for the enjoyment of my family and especially of my elderly parents.
I gave the 3 grandkids and my parents photos of appropriate nano fish thinking surely at least 2 of them would choose the same fish….. no. They all chose a different one which equals too many fish. Choices were:
1) Azure damsel (middle grandson reminds him of Dory)
They can be quite aggressive
2) Royal Gramma (the two year old has good taste)
Best pick. Great fish
3) Pink Spotted shrimp goby with a red banded pistol shrimp( 11 year old grandson)
Another great one
4) Blue green Chromis (my mom. Actually said I don’t care what else goes in as long as I get one of these ‍♀️)
Can get uronema so you want to be careful.
5) Coral beauty or flame Angel (my dad)
Too big probably for a nano.
Someone is going to have to learn to live with disappointment lol. Only softies and maybe some LPS like hammers will be in the tank as far as corals.

What grouping of the above would you recommend or any substitutions you’d suggest.

Things on the list that I liked but did not make the cut were Midas blenny, tailspot blenny, yellow clown goby.
These are all great picks though the Midas is a bit big for that tank.
This will be a clownish free zone

CUC will be standard fair of snails some crabs, other shrimp. I do want a clam.
Clams can be difficult but if you have a lot of light and it’s a good size you can succeed.

Overall the best picks are the gramma, the goby&shrimp, and a blenny or clown goby. The chromis will work but you have to fear disease with them. You could also do the damsel but definitely a last fish.

I would do 3 fish. 4 maybe if one or two are gobies.

NanoNana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be quite aggressive

Best pick. Great fish

Another great one

Can get uronema so you want to be careful.

Too big probably for a nano.

These are all great picks though the Midas is a bit big for that tank.

Clams can be difficult but if you have a lot of light and it’s a good size you can succeed.

Overall the best picks are the gramma, the goby&shrimp, and a blenny or clown goby. The chromis will work but you have to fear disease with them. You could also do the damsel but definitely a last fish.

I would do 3 fish. 4 maybe if one or two are gobies.
Thank you so very much for such a detailed reply. I love the idea of a clown goby personally and it IS my tank after all ;).

I think the gramma, and the two gobies would be a nice start. See how that goes for a bit and maybe try a sapphire or azure. I would imagine middle grandson will fall for an invert before it’s time to add a potential 4th fish anyway. But I can’t think of another small blue fish so I’ll put that on the wait and see. Perhaps I could steer him toward a fire fish. :D

I’d wait quite a while on my clam. Lots of research to do there.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so very much for such a detailed reply. I love the idea of a clown goby personally and it IS my tank after all ;).

I think the gramma, and the two gobies would be a nice start. See how that goes for a bit and maybe try a sapphire or azure. I would imagine middle grandson will fall for an invert before it’s time to add a potential 4th fish anyway. But I can’t think of another small blue fish so I’ll put that on the wait and see. Perhaps I could steer him toward a fire fish. :D

I’d wait quite a while on my clam. Lots of research to do there.
Definitely get a skunk cleaner shrimp. They are easy and a ton of fun!

Groovynewbie420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this stock list work in a 180 Gallon FOWLR tank??? Are these possible to find? 1. Orange-back angelfish (Centropyge acanthops) 1.Black Cap Basslet(GRAMMA MELACARA). Group of 4-6 Blue Gudgeon dart fish(PTERELEOTRIS HETEROPTERA). Group of 4-6 bicolor chromis (CHROMIS MARGARITIFER) 1. Pink skunk clownfish (AMPHIPRION PERIDERAION) do I need an Anemone or no?? 1.Splendid Dottyback(PSEUDOCHROMIS SPLENDENS)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this stock list work in a 180 Gallon FOWLR tank??? Are these possible to find? 1. Orange-back angelfish (Centropyge acanthops) 1.Black Cap Basslet(GRAMMA MELACARA). Group of 4-6 Blue Gudgeon dart fish(PTERELEOTRIS HETEROPTERA).
Generally better alone but with a big tank you should be good.
Group of 4-6 bicolor chromis (CHROMIS MARGARITIFER)
Watch out for uronema. I would suggest a school of anthias instead but just because I find them prettier
1. Pink skunk clownfish (AMPHIPRION PERIDERAION) do I need an Anemone or no??
Nope
1.Splendid Dottyback(PSEUDOCHROMIS SPLENDENS)
Watch out as they can be very aggressive

Flyangler33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

New to the hobby and just started my first reef tank. IM Fusion 2 50 AIO tank and am trying to get a stock list together. I really only have 1 dream fish but will be a long while before I acquire one, that being a mandarin. That being said, I think I would count 2 clowns, and some form of goby. Outside of that I am open to suggestion, I like bright colors. I would really like a yellow tang, but not sure 50 gallons is big enough, would a small one work and rehome it as it outgrows the tank?

Any input is much appreciated!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

New to the hobby and just started my first reef tank. IM Fusion 2 50 AIO tank and am trying to get a stock list together. I really only have 1 dream fish but will be a long while before I acquire one, that being a mandarin. That being said, I think I would count 2 clowns, and some form of goby. Outside of that I am open to suggestion, I like bright colors. I would really like a yellow tang, but not sure 50 gallons is big enough, would a small one work and rehome it as it outgrows the tank?

Any input is much appreciated!
I would go with a yellow wrasse, Halichoeres chrysus, instead of the tang. Or a Midas blenny or both. Radiant wrasse is also good and very pretty.

A basslet like a royal gramma is great. A dwarf angel is a risk with corals but very pretty. Then a small flasher or fairy wrasse.

Groovynewbie420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Watch out for uronema. I would suggest a school of anthias instead but just because I find them prettier

Nope

Nope

So u are saying pretty much my stock list should work , other then watching out for a few things??

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back