Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

MasterBacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220g DT with a 55g sump/refugium that's around 6 weeks old... This will be a mixed reef..Everything seems stable.. I have 4 percula clowns, 1 yellow coris wrasse & 2 blue reef chromis & a mixed cuc. Could I put in 4 yellow tangs & maybe a regal tang ??
My Friend has a 180gal, he bought 5 out of the same tank at the store, Qt together and put in together. No problems with them over a year now. I think the key is having them together from start to finish. One is a little more dominant but still no problems. You have 220 gal. So maybe work. My .02, not experience just observation. If you try, pick from the same tank and get the shy ones.

DJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Friend has a 180gal, he bought 5 out of the same tank at the store, Qt together and put in together. No problems with them over a year now. I think the key is having them together from start to finish. One is a little more dominant but still no problems. You have 220 gal. So maybe work. My .02, not experience just observation. If you try, pick from the same tank and get the shy ones.

Hmmm..It's getting very tempting.. Do you know what other fish are in your friends tank ?? Many thanks for the reply

MasterBacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm..It's getting very tempting.. Do you know what other fish are in your friends tank ?? Many thanks for the reply
Can't remember them all but it's very busy. Emperor I remember, trigger and I think a least another tang. Large Fish. As for small, multiple smaller fish like 5 chromis, clowns, wrasse, and etc.

Clownfish456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have a 29 gallon biocube that has lots of live rock and corals. I currently have 1 black clownfish (not too big, maybe 2 inches), a six line wrasse, a scooter blenny, and a fire goby along with some hermit crabs and other some cleaning crew members. I'm wondering if my tank is already too stocked. I was also thinking about trading my six line wrasse for a clown. Maybe also down the road I might trade my blenny for mandarin. If I did these changes could I fit maybe one more fish. I've also heard that six line wrasses tend to be mean and will bother the other fish, is that true? Last question, Does anyone know any nice-looking fish that can be tank-raised(some smaller fish would be great)? Thanks!

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank?
How are your nitrate levels?

What kinda fish were you thinking of adding?

I personally find inverts to be really cool. A good compliment to the tank and often useful. A cleaner shrimp is nice looking and carries its weight. Cool looking crabs as well

Clownfish456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what my nitrate levels are but I would definitely check before going to buy a fish if I was to buy one. Say my nitrite levels were good, and my tank is about 3 years old, if I got one or two more fish, would that make my tank overstocked? Also I'm not too sure what specific fish id want but any suggestions on any tank raised fish would be much appreciated! Also I have many inverts already!

Clownfish456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would my tank be overstocked if say I had 3 clowns, 1 fire goby, and a mandarin plus shrimp, crabs,etc. And my live rock with coral?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have a 29 gallon biocube that has lots of live rock and corals. I currently have 1 black clownfish (not too big, maybe 2 inches), a six line wrasse, a scooter blenny, and a fire goby along with some hermit crabs and other some cleaning crew members. I'm wondering if my tank is already too stocked. I was also thinking about trading my six line wrasse for a clown. Maybe also down the road I might trade my blenny for mandarin. If I did these changes could I fit maybe one more fish. I've also heard that six line wrasses tend to be mean and will bother the other fish, is that true? Last question, Does anyone know any nice-looking fish that can be tank-raised(some smaller fish would be great)? Thanks!
Sixlines can definitely become a problem, especially the longer they are in the tank and toward new fish.

Adding another clown is possible, but when the clowns get ready to spawn they will become significantly more territorial, so if you want to add a greater variety of fish, stick with just one.

A mandarin can be a real challenge in a 29g.

Some tank raised options for after the sixline wrasse is removed include: yellow assessor neon goby, orchid dottyback, grammistes blenny, yellow head jawfish.

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do when you buy a fish and then figure out it isn't for your tank ? And the LFS won't take it back ?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon tank 9 months old. Currently I have a Splendid Dottyback, Fire fish Goby, Sa Oscelleris Clownfish-Bonded Pair, 2- Green Chromis, Engineer Goby, Yellow Tang, and A missing 6-line wrasse(over 2 weeks now) and I was considering maybe adding 2 or 3 more. Would this be too many for this size tank? I am looking for reef safe, active, and colorful. Any ideas on what's out there that would be compatible? Thanks in advance!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your parameters you should be able to add a few more fish, though the splendid dottyback may present some aggression issues. Some possibilities that should work would include grammistes, starry, or midas blenny, springeri, talvot, or azure damsel, neon or clown goby, a trio of zebra or scissortail dartfish.

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your parameters you should be able to add a few more fish, though the splendid dottyback may present some aggression issues. Some possibilities that should work would include grammistes, starry, or midas blenny, springeri, talvot, or azure damsel, neon or clown goby, a trio of zebra or scissortail dartfish.

Are the azure damsel aggressive like most other damselfish? What about yellowtail damselfish?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the azure damsel aggressive like most other damselfish? What about yellowtail damselfish?
No, they are not as bad as other damsels. They will claim a small territory, but aren't relentlessly aggressive in defending it. It is in the genus Chrysiptera, which as a whole is less aggressive than other damsels.

The yellowtail is also a Chrysiptera species, but is slightly more aggressive than the azure.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 185 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back