Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy, flasher, and leopard wrasses :)
I'd love to get leopard wrasses but worried about how to feed them. Will they do ok with pellets flake twice a day and LRS fish frenzy at night?

Nooreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any crab can be opportunistic and take advantage of an easy meal, such as a sleeping fish or damaged coral. Overall, however,my experiences with emerald crabs have been positive. They are less destructive and opportunistic than many other crabs and have a definite preference to plant matter. Emerald crabs top out at 2.5". A word of caution. I have seen a few other crabs in shipments of emeralds that were more destructive. Avoid crabs with black tips on their claws.
My emerald crab has been inactive for a few days now. It's been sitting at one spot on live rock. It reacts to my touch and moves away but he won't eat. He used to grab pieces of seaweed i give him and go crazy with it. Now he doesn't want to eat anything. What could be going on with this guy?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need suggestions for my next fish. I have a 120 gallon (4x2x2) reef tank with a rock wall. Lots of caves. I have 3 green chromis, 2 pajama Cardinals and a Hippo tang that is ready to come out of quarantine. I would like colorful fish but open to all suggestions.
Colorful reefsafe fish would include the aforementioned fairy and flasher wrasses, royal gramma, yellow assessor, sunburst anthias, purple tilefish, yellow coris wrasse.

My emerald crab has been inactive for a few days now. It's been sitting at one spot on live rock. It reacts to my touch and moves away but he won't eat. He used to grab pieces of seaweed i give him and go crazy with it. Now he doesn't want to eat anything. What could be going on with this guy?
If iodine levels are low it may be having trouble molting, possibly being sensitive to rapid changes in water salinity or other chemistry.

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular order for stocking these suggestions (Yellow assessor, wrasse and royal gramma) or does it matter? How about purple firefish with current stocking?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular order for stocking these suggestions (Yellow assessor, wrasse and royal gramma) or does it matter? How about purple firefish with current stocking?
Any order will work, they're all peaceful. A purple firefish would work well.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need as they will hunt these. Another fish that I don't think pics or vids do it the same justice.
Thanks, I will put those on my "when the tank is a bit older" wish list!

Just hope my flame angel doesn't take offense to one!

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otherwise the stock list looks okay? Do I have room for an orchid dottyback or stick to what I want here?

Thank you!
Chris
30x30x18
Diamond tail wrasse pair-single diamond tail wrasse
2-3 leopard wrasse
Fathead sunburst anthias
Mccoskers flasher
Clown pair

I've two additional questions, I'm not sure if this is the right place for both. I was able to pick up a gold assessor basselet for $5 from a guy getting out and I couldn't pass it up. Will he be alright in this tank?

It would bring the stock list to;
Diamond tail wrasse pair-single diamond tail wrasse (male jumped out of quarantine :()
2-3 leopard wrasse
Fathead sunburst anthias
Mccoskers flasher
Clown pair
orchid dottyback
gold assessor basselet

2nd question
What should be the order of addition for fish? I already added my two leopard wrasse because I thought they would be the most delicate.
I'm thinking diamond tail wrasse next, then maybe the fathead sunburst anthias, then mccoskers flasher? I want to keep clowns and orchid dottyback until last.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've two additional questions, I'm not sure if this is the right place for both. I was able to pick up a gold assessor basselet for $5 from a guy getting out and I couldn't pass it up. Will he be alright in this tank?

It would bring the stock list to;
Diamond tail wrasse pair-single diamond tail wrasse (male jumped out of quarantine :()
2-3 leopard wrasse
Fathead sunburst anthias
Mccoskers flasher
Clown pair
orchid dottyback
gold assessor basselet

2nd question
What should be the order of addition for fish? I already added my two leopard wrasse because I thought they would be the most delicate.
I'm thinking diamond tail wrasse next, then maybe the fathead sunburst anthias, then mccoskers flasher? I want to keep clowns and orchid dottyback until last.
The assessor will be fine. The order doesn't really matter in this case, just add the dottyback last.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back