Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29 gallon cube here. I'm new to saltwater aquariums, and my tank is doing well with 6 snails (astrea and margarita), a peppermint shrimp, two emerald crabs, and a small galaxea frag. Water levels are staying constant and everything seems to be happy.

I'm ready for my first couple of fish, and honestly have no idea where to start. I want some small, colorful, yet hardy fish to start out with. I'd like to get two fish in the next couple of days. What are my options!?

Thank you so much for any input and help.
Firefish, royal gramma, yellow assessor, neon goby, are a few I would consider.

bing_ph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

My 90 gallon tank is almost cycled ( IMO :D ) and I plan to add the following fishes in time

Pair of clowns
HYT
Bi color blenny
Foxface
6 line wrasse
Banggai cardinal
Mandarin ( if i can populate pods in the fuge)

Will the tank be Over stocked?

TIA

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

My 90 gallon tank is almost cycled ( IMO :D ) and I plan to add the following fishes in time

Pair of clowns
HYT
Bi color blenny
Foxface
6 line wrasse
Banggai cardinal
Mandarin ( if i can populate pods in the fuge)

Will the tank be Over stocked?

TIA
The bioload should be fine if you add slowly. But sixline wrasses don't make good tankmates for a mandarin.

bing_ph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bioload should be fine if you add slowly. But sixline wrasses don't make good tankmates for a mandarin.
thanks @eatbreakfast ! yup i won't rush adding the fishes and my plan is to add every 2 to 3 weeks spread in between.

oh never thought that the wrasse and mandarin will have complications...need to decide what get if that is the case...i love both those species :(:(:(

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks @eatbreakfast ! yup i won't rush adding the fishes and my plan is to add every 2 to 3 weeks spread in between.

oh never thought that the wrasse and mandarin will have complications...need to decide what get if that is the case...i love both those species :(:(:(
I have found airlines to become problematic with quite a few fish.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixlines and mandarins both eat 'pods. Lots of 'em. Sixlines, being larger, faster, and much more willing to eat the food you drop in for the other fish, can often out-compete the mandarins.

Sixlines, from what I've read and heard via personal communication, can also be surprisingly aggressive for such a small fish. (A shame, really, 'cause they're absolutely gorgeous!)

One of my son's friends recently shut down her tank, and I've inherited her remaining corals and her sixline. He's well-behaved enough in QT, but hasn't been introduced to the fairy and flasher wrasses, or the dragonets, in the DT yet. I've got a 220 gallon tank waiting in the wings, and I'm kind of hoping he won't try to take over the whole enchilada.

~Bruce

bing_ph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixlines and mandarins both eat 'pods. Lots of 'em. Sixlines, being larger, faster, and much more willing to eat the food you drop in for the other fish, can often out-compete the mandarins.

Sixlines, from what I've read and heard via personal communication, can also be surprisingly aggressive for such a small fish. (A shame, really, 'cause they're absolutely gorgeous!)

One of my son's friends recently shut down her tank, and I've inherited her remaining corals and her sixline. He's well-behaved enough in QT, but hasn't been introduced to the fairy and flasher wrasses, or the dragonets, in the DT yet. I've got a 220 gallon tank waiting in the wings, and I'm kind of hoping he won't try to take over the whole enchilada.

~Bruce
hi bruce (@Maritimer )

whoa! a 220 gallon tank! how i wish i can have something like that too!

with that size of a tank the 6 line wrasse will love swimming all over and forget being a bully! and for sure he will love swimming in and out of the rock works! this i realy want to see!

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce

Have you see the melanarus wrasse? Beautiful and supposedly peaceful

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2yr old 40B. Currently home to a Banggai, 6Line and YWG/Pistol. Would love to add 1-2 more fish. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Perhaps a blenny, such as a midas, starry, or algae blenny, or a flame or longnose hawk.

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you have a red mandarin and a green one if they are opposite sex?
I have a 125 gal

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that in my 65 gallon reef, with a female target mandarin established for many moons, adding a green mandarin pair brought out her temper - several weeks later, she still assaults the greens on sight. Hopefully, on moving the whole kit'n'kaboodle a few times and ending up in a much larger (220) tank, she'll settle down some. None of them pay a speck of attention to any gobies.

~Bruce

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish, royal gramma, yellow assessor, neon goby, are a few I would consider.

Are firefish known to hide out the first few days in a new tank?

I got one yesterday, floated him for 20 minutes, and did a drip acclimation for an hour. Got him in the tank and he darted around a bit. Left the lights off for about four hours and turned them on. About and hour or so being in the tank he just seems to lightly swim forward in one area in front of where the protein skimmer is. I put some food in and he swam to it. Then later on he was in the same area lightly swimming forward every few second and then being pulled back towards the bay that the protein skimmer is. I checked on him this morning and I guess he was hiding out. Couldn't find him.

Is this typical behavior? This is my first fish in the tank, so not sure what's abnormal.

Thanks everyone!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back