Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snowflake clown, a black clown, a yellow tang and firefish. Any suggestions on what else I could add with lots of color?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snowflake clown, a black clown, a yellow tang and firefish. Any suggestions on what else I could add with lots of color?
How big is your tank?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon till I can get 150 out of my basement. Probably be fall b4 I get it up
There are a number of wrasse that you could get for the tank, they would add a lot of color to the tank. You could also add a blenny, Basslets or a dottyback (but they can have some anger management issues lol)

Last edited:

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the aggressiveness is what is making it hard for me. I am use to African cichlids and they can pretty much hold their own with each other. But I want my reef tank to be peaceful

darthparj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I have a 50 gallon (36x18x18) and currently have the following in my mixed reef tank:

2 black snowflake clownfish
3 chalk bass
1 midas blenny
1 melanarus wrasse

Was thinking of adding either a flame hawkfish or linespot flasher wrasse, do you think i'm already overstocked? if no, which of the 2 do you recommend to add.

Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even some of the easier anthias such as randalls or dispar, zebra dartfish are great, yellow assessors would work too.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I have a 50 gallon (36x18x18) and currently have the following in my mixed reef tank:

3 chalk bass
1 midas blenny
1 melanarus wrasse

Was thinking of adding either a flame hawkfish or linespot flasher wrasse, do you think i'm already overstocked? if no, which of the 2 do you recommend to add.

Thanks!
You are pretty much at capacity I would say but if you had to pick one I would go with the wrasse over the hawkfish because they will eat/try to eat shrimp and most wrasse will not

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

3 chalk bass
1 midas blenny
1 melanarus wrasse

Thanks!
In your tank the flame hawk would be the better choice. The flasher may work, but they can be pretty active.

Fish behavior and nutrient levels will indicate if you are overstocked, if they are fine you should be good to go.

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon reef. I am also gonna set my 150 gallon up this fall. My question is can I have a naso tang with my current livestock? My current live stock is a black clown, a snowflake clown, a purple firefish, a Christmas island anthias, a yellow tang, and 2 cardinal fish. Can the naso live with the yellow and the others?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of fish for a 75, how soon will you have the 150 up?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon reef. I am also gonna set my 150 gallon up this fall. My question is can I have a naso tang with my current livestock? My current live stock is a black clown, a snowflake clown, a purple firefish, a Christmas island anthias, a yellow tang, and 2 cardinal fish. Can the naso live with the yellow and the others?
It is possible, but a yellow tang in a 75g is going to be pretty territorial toward any tang added. I would suggest waiting on the naso until the 150 is set up.

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably have the 150 up in roughly 6 weeks. The yt always seemed really passive. I wonder if I put yt in sump for a few hours and let naso settle in would work. I was more worried about the naso since it is a little bit bigger.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would just wait, there is not reason to rush it. Wait until the 150 is up and you have it all moved over then get the naso

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably have the 150 up in roughly 6 weeks. The yt always seemed really passive. I wonder if I put yt in sump for a few hours and let naso settle in would work. I was more worried about the naso since it is a little bit bigger.
Naso tangs are generally a lot more peaceful. I like having a large naso in a tank with other tangs, as it seems to keep the feistier tangs "in line", yet doesn't cause any issues itself.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish should all be compatible.

There may be a degree of aggression between the blennies and between the tangs, but nothing too worrisome.

Scrap the idea of a particular amount of inches of fish per gallon, that is one of the worst myths in the hobby.
Ebf I'm sorry I don't agree. Although you're right it is a myth I think it's still the best starting point for someone new to marine fish tanks. I recommend one inch of fish per 10 gallons of tank. That's a safe level for most new to the hobby as they learn the skills to keep fish and works with most filter systems. Not everyone has a sump half the size of the display, a skimmer recommended for twice the water volume in the display, wave makers, etc. So it's best to start with a small load and only add more as you become more adept. It's common for newcomers to try and relate the amount of fish in a saltwater tank to the amount they see in freshwater tanks.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had more than one tang at a time but I would like to add another to my 210. I have a four inch sailfin and would like to find a tang that won't be an issue with it. Thinking along the lines of a clown tang. Any experience of mixing tangs with a sailfin or suggestions to add a little color.

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is cycled. 75 gallon. I have a 30 gallon sump. Reef octopus 1000sss skimmer. I am more concerned with aggression than bio load. I have Rodi filter and lots of instant ocean. Water changes not a problem. Plus maybe this will help me speed up the 150 project. All I really have to do is drill the overflow and return. Everything else is ready.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back