Need help replacing burnt cord on skimmer pump

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cord got burned by my heater presumably. Heater is always fully submerged so not sure if the heater would be able to burn through it or not but here we are. Is there a way to replace the cord or just cut out the bad section? I’ve done this before for outdoor extension cords but I am assuming I cannot just splice and duct/electrical tape it. What’s the best course of action for this? Do I need a whole new pump? All new cord? Or can I slice and use some heat shrink or something to ensure to electric leakage into the tank? Any help appreciated.
FFE1D017-EA9E-465D-9F61-3FF32111E8FC.jpeg

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cord got burned by my heater presumably. Heater is always fully submerged so not sure if the heater would be able to burn through it or not but here we are. Is there a way to replace the cord or just cut out the bad section? I’ve done this before for outdoor extension cords but I am assuming I cannot just splice and duct/electrical tape it. What’s the best course of action for this? Do I need a whole new pump? All new cord? Or can I slice and use some heat shrink or something to ensure to electric leakage into the tank? Any help appreciated.
FFE1D017-EA9E-465D-9F61-3FF32111E8FC.jpeg
Which skimmer/pump? Can cut, solder and heat shrink…there is heat shrink out there that is waterproof. I would heat shrink each wire and then again over entire splice.

OP
OP
B

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which skimmer/pump? Can cut, solder and heat shrink…there is heat shrink out there that is waterproof. I would heat shrink each wire and then again over entire splice.
Thanks for the reply. It’s an old Reef Octopus. Waterproof heat shrink sounds like the plan. Any recommendations on brand?

OP
OP
B

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just the covering on the chord? Are the individual electrical leads insulation within intact? If so, I’d shrink wrap it and call it a day.
I believe the individual wires themselves are fine as I didn’t get shocked when I had my hands in there with it on trying to clean the Venturi.

OP
OP
B

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll also add that once I took it out of the water and straighten the cord it was running fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree on shrink tube and a bead of silicone over the top

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just the covering on the chord? Are the individual electrical leads insulation within intact? If so, I’d shrink wrap it and call it a day.
Only issue with this is getting a heat shrink tube large enough to go over the plug and still shrink small enough to seal…reason I suggested cutting and doing each wire and then the whole splice.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. It’s an old Reef Octopus. Waterproof heat shrink sounds like the plan. Any recommendations on brand?
Brand doesn’t really matter, just find some that is adhesive lined. Amazon has some, branded the same as what’s carried in most marine equipment shops.

Edit:
Wirefy 95 PCS Heat Shrink Tubing Kit - 4:1 Dual Wall Tube - Adhesive Lined - Marine Shrink Tubing - Black https://a.co/d/dmamXq5

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were mine and the insulation on the individual conductors was still intact there is no way I would cut and splice the part that will be under water. I would be more likely to cut the plug off so that I could run some of the marine grade heat shrink down to the bad spot then just put a new plug on the end of the cable.

You said that when you straightened the cord it ran fine, does this mean that with the cable bent it didn’t run? If so then you will likely have to cut and splice the wire where it is burnt.

OP
OP
B

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were mine and the insulation on the individual conductors was still intact there is no way I would cut and splice the part that will be under water. I would be more likely to cut the plug off so that I could run some of the marine grade heat shrink down to the bad spot then just put a new plug on the end of the cable.

You said that when you straightened the cord it ran fine, does this mean that with the cable bent it didn’t run? If so then you will likely have to cut and splice the wire where it is burnt.
I’m honestly not sure now that you say it. It was in my sump. Wouldn’t run. Tried turning in on and off a couple times on Apex. Plugged it into a wall socket just to make sure it wasn’t the Apex and still nothing. Took it out of the sump and detached the pump and started inspecting the cord aka straightening it and looking for damage and found this. Dried it all off and plugged into a socket again and it turned right on. So not sure if straightening it was the fix or something else. I didn’t see any damage on the exposed green one but I’ll do a more in-depth inspection tomorrow.

OP
OP
B

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only issue with this is getting a heat shrink tube large enough to go over the plug and still shrink small enough to seal…reason I suggested cutting and doing each wire and then the whole splice.
Thanks. Going to inspect it more tomorrow and see what the damage is besides the main cord.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, plastic that has been heated to crispy will probably crack all up over time. Even if you get it waterproof you will need to make it stiff too so it never bends.

Smart people on here

Could you cut it out and do a splice with heat shrink and then embed it in epoxy in a small plastic can.
I was going to say film canister but no one knows what those are these days.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 70 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 32 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back