Need Id and have other questions

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this coral yesterday from the LFS. Not sure the exact type, but it’s some type of green leather. I placed it on my rockwork and it just dropped over and wouldn’t stand straight. I moved it to the sand bed today and it’s not drooping as bad but still hasn’t opened up. The sand bed has more flow then the spot it was on the rock. So what is this coral and what’s the best placement? Is the drooping normal?

Salinity: 1.024
Ph: 8.1
No3: 8ppm
Phos: .02

IMG_2305.jpeg

OP
OP
jdubDaReefGuy

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this coral yesterday from the LFS. Not sure the exact type, but it’s some type of green leather. I placed it on my rockwork and it just dropped over and wouldn’t stand straight. I moved it to the sand bed today and it’s not drooping as bad but still hasn’t opened up. The sand bed has more flow then the spot it was on the rock. So what is this coral and what’s the best placement? Is the drooping normal?

IMG_2305.jpeg
I should add, it wasn’t open much more than this at the LFS

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2305.jpeg
I am FAR from any kind of expert here, but that looks more like some type of acropora to me than a leather. Acropora are an SPS coral with some serious requirements in the area of lighting and flow. Hopefully someone else will come on here with more knowledge than myself

OP
OP
jdubDaReefGuy

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am FAR from any kind of expert here, but that looks more like some type of acropora to me than a leather. Acropora are an SPS coral with some serious requirements in the area of lighting and flow. Hopefully someone else will come on here with more knowledge than myself
It’s definitely a leather. I don’t know of any acropora that droop. They tend to have a very stiff and hard skeleton from what I understand.

OP
OP
jdubDaReefGuy

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then heck, when you find out what it is, I would love to know because I prefer soft corals, and I like the look of this one.
The guy at the store just called it a green leather. From what I’ve seen, I think it’s either a sinularia or nephthea. But I haven’t seen any polyps yet. Even at the fish store there weren’t any polyps.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy at the store just called it a green leather. From what I’ve seen, I think it’s either a sinularia or nephthea. But I haven’t seen any polyps yet. Even at the fish store there weren’t any polyps.
Well hopefully it will become happy in your tank in a day or 2 and you will see some polyp extension.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like sinularia to me. Give it time it will fluff back up.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is a leather I doubt you will have to worry about it dying. They do like higher nutrients. I would bump your nitrates up to 10-15 and phosphates to .05-.1. If it is a sinularia it will look like this when it is happy.
246F2A48-BB8E-4DD8-83C0-07941DB93708.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 50 76.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.2%
Back