Neptune trident

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my unvarnished take on the Trident so far:

I just want to say that I am seriously thinking about getting a Trident.
One problem is I still have a Reefkeeper controller, however, I've had this for many years and while I've been very happy with it, I don't expect to last forever, and was considering getting an Apex sooner or later.

So I've been following the lead up to the introduction of the Trident for quite some time and I saw all the info that Neptune sent out on Youtube. My interest is not sparked so much by the auto testing (I don't mind testing manually) although they do claim a much smaller margin of error than a hobbyist test kit, but I like the ability to automatically dose based on those results. To me that is very desirable.

So in rolling out the product they were saying it dosed in 4/2/2, 6/3/3, 8/4/4 ALK CA MG . The obvious question, which many people asked, was why not 2/1/1. While that's still more than most people test it seemed reasonable particularly if the shelf life of the reagents was limited.
The response from Neptune seemed like a "yes" for 2/1/1 but it wasn't what I'd call definite. I am somewhat disappointed that they decided against it.
For me, I knew that the reagents would be more expensive even @ 2/1/1 compared to my Hobby kits, but with the error rate they were promising it would have been well worth it. But at the minimum testing of 4/2/2 that adds quite a bit of additional expense.
Still, those error parameters such as +/-.05 for Alk is incredible and might be worth the extra money.

That segues into the purported performance of the Trident:
Earlier today I saw a video by a well known reef pro who compared the Trident with the Alkatronic. I thought he really did an objective comparison of the 2 machines.
My interpretation of his presentation was if you already have an Apex you almost certainly want to go with the Trident, if not, you might consider the Alkatronic since it has a built in pump to adjust Alkalinity. But for ease of use/setting up, cost of reagent, and accessibility the Trident seems to have the edge.
However there was one issue that I saw where the Trident appears to be lacking. It involved performance. The Alkalinty results for both machines were compared against a well known colorimeter device and an equally well known Hobby grade test kit. Three results, each, were taken for the device and the test kit and then averaged for a result of 7.5 DKH. The result from the Trident was 7.2 DKH while the Alkatronic gave a result of 7.6 DKH.
It was just one test. It could be an aberration, but the Trident may need more work.
BTW the Alkatronic also purports to have a margin of error of +/- 0.05

So basically, I'm sitting on the fence for now. I have no doubt Neptune will make updates and improve the model, and I'll wait.
I hope they have plans for going to a 2/1/1 dosing regimen. And if that is possible would that involve a software update or a new machine?

Finally, here are a few criticisms I have for Neptune:
I won't talk about their motivation but they clearly link the Trident directly with the DOS pump, with the direct threat that if you don't use our pump "you are on your own". This is not in the "reefing" experience that I've come to know.

Also, while I wasn't considering getting one until most of the reviews are in, I was amazed that after visiting all the websites I usually purchase from, none had any Triton's available - mere hours after they went on sale.
Considering the pent up demand that existed for a product that was two years in the making, I would have thought Neptune would have done a better job at recognizing demand.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And your horrible experience with Neptune and their products was?
I can answer this - I bought the Apex 2016 - right up front - in fact I thought I was buying a 2016 when I bought a 'gold package' from BRS - in fact it was the older model (all good I used it on another tank) - then the new apex failed - resulting in probably 1000 $ loss of fish. Due to a 'chip problem'. Fast forward 6 months - power outage - (while we were gone - no alerts (and yes the programming was correct) - another $500 fish lost. BUT - with all due respect Neptune tech support was outstanding in working out these problems. Fast forward another year - (of course on vacation) - the EB failed. The house sitter noticed the water was 'cold'. Of course she didnt realize that the lights/pumps, etc were off...... But in any case the only way I found this out was going to fusion and seeing the temp was 71 (I received no alert). In any case - my neighbor and the house sitter plugged everything into a standard 'surge suppressor'. when I got home - called Neptune sent in the equipment and they replace (free of charge - thanks Neptune) 2 chips one in the EB and one in the Apex. Since then no problem.... The tech support and Neptune in general I love. BUT - I will never again - ever - trust my system / livestock to an 'automatic' process. I now have a 24/7 house sitter when we leave - and use the Apex as a backup. Many others have suggested this as well..... TO those who are planning on immediately dosing CA/AlK with trident - My guess is that the vast majority of you will have no problems. For the rest - re-read this post.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TO those who are planning on immediately dosing CA/AlK with trident - My guess is that the vast majority of you will have no problems. For the rest - re-read this post.

I worry about that also. I have gone a tad over board with apex modules - thus good news for me that the new AOS increases the number that you can attach - but in almost all cases I either just use Apex to monitor/alert, or if I do use it to control something I have a separate, redundant facility as well. I do find the prospect of using a DoS to supplement my CaRx as necessary intriguing though …..

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I look at it in all products and services. The more hyped up and bigger the company the more disposable the product becomes.

I'm in the construction field. What I see is craftsmen work alone. Because if your a true craftsmen not to many can match your work. And you care so much about giving a great product you do it alone. Than theres the rest. From the owner to the guy hacking. With the just get it done I need my money mentality. They even have crews to fix all the mistakes visible to the eyes.

The answer I get most from the bug guys is if you want to go big let go. Really??

I chose to be a craftsmen and not chase the money. I'm happy!

Sorry I just don't like these poor product everyone is making a killing on now days. I'll leave you alone now.

Remember more hype usually equals more problems.
Sounds to me like you are hyping yourself by bashing others

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worry about that also. I have gone a tad over board with apex modules - thus good news for me that the new AOS increases the number that you can attach - but in almost all cases I either just use Apex to monitor/alert, or if I do use it to control something I have a separate, redundant facility as well. I do find the prospect of using a DoS to supplement my CaRx as necessary intriguing though …..

I'm all about redundancies as well. One is none and two is one.
I am pretty reliant on the Apex though and hope in the case of a failure the EB's I have will always go to their fallback state because several of my redundancies fall after them.

After I move I'm planning on adding a second fragging system that won't be connected to a common sump. The one question I don't recall seeing is if more than one Trident can be connect on the same bus. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible but would be good to know for sure.

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like you are hyping yourself by bashing others
Maybe that's something you do Larry. Just had really bad experiences (plural), with the neptune apex. And when I mentioned out of the box I meant month or two in.

And yes I'm a little thrown back with everyone's acceptance to poor products. "That's what warranties are for." So you people are all good with satisfactory products as long as it comes with a warranty?

I see it at work and in this hobby.
Some chase dollars/ and some do a good job. Both is fine. You just need to remember the good job first.

Time will tell. Let's wait for reviews. I'm not the only one. I'm the only one that jumps on in the middle of fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys and Gals, the rudeness to one another has got to stop. I know you are passionate but this is a hobby first and we're not two sides pitted against one another. We have always prided ourselves in being a friendly place to discuss and even debate reefs. Lately the Trident topic has caused a lot of animosity between members here. This is not the fault of Neptune rather a fault in ourselves for losing our temper and forgetting that this is a hobby and we are at Reef2Reef, NOT FACEBOOK! I'm not yelling just emphasizing. :)

I am going to ask everyone to please refrain from personal, hateful posts, comments, words and actions. I am going to ask you not to post in threads that are going to get you to say and do things that are not in line with our community standard of being friendly and courteous to one another. We are going to be forced to remove members from hot topic threads and we hate to do that. We want the community to moderate itself by doing the right thing.

Thank you.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Trident is "out for delivery." I'm giddy.
I just got mine and I’m pumped. But, they are selling for $1k+ on ebay. It’s taking all my willpower not to list it and make a quick dollar.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not sarcastic a fact of what you should have read that they have written. Have a read on their write up on alk cal and mag.
You wrote "Plus or minus 15ppm for cal and mag. Not that good hey." You think that +/-15ppm is not good for Ca and Mg? It is fantastic and amazing.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+/- 15ppm when we're looking at values of 400+ for Ca and 1200+ for Mg is good enough for me.

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wrote "Plus or minus 15ppm for cal and mag. Not that good hey." You think that +/-15ppm is not good for Ca and Mg? It is fantastic and amazing.
If your happy if running cal at 400 and accepting -15 ppm that your standard.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was one of those that ordered at 3am (midnight) last week. I thought my order had gone threw but was informed a day later by BRS that they had encountered an error on inventory and I would not be receiving it. Just to let everyone know I was notified by BRS today with a UPS tracking number and shipping info. It will be here on Tuesday so basically a week later than originally- I guess inventory is rolling out as stated by Terrence.

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my failed first attempt at obtaining a trident on release day where the initial order went through only to be cancelled due to and over sale I was able to actually score a Trident earlier this week when Premium Aquatics had a couple in stock. Expected delivery is sometime this afternoon. Guess I know what I’ll be doing late.... something other than manually checking alkalinity, calcium, or magnesium. Psych’d

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my failed first attempt at obtaining a trident on release day where the initial order went through only to be cancelled due to and over sale I was able to actually score a Trident earlier this week when Premium Aquatics had a couple in stock. Expected delivery is sometime this afternoon. Guess I know what I’ll be doing late.... something other than manually checking alkalinity, calcium, or magnesium. Psych’d

Lucky [emoji256]

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally the day I’d been waiting for at least 2 years so far has come!!! Just finished with all the firmware updates in my apex and modules and getting ready for tomorrow all day installing and playing with the TRIDENT [emoji823] main and unique weapon from Poseidon the God from Oceans and thunderstorms [emoji23]. I’ll open and star my tank thread after 3 years and getting the main component.

KUDOS to Crimsons Reef [emoji106][emoji225][emoji886]

7db682f11d3e774de3209c3804dbff1b.jpg
23d6f1744f1d07f3ac83b07b6eec4c09.jpg
e56ef4d700f35997eecbc9204606facf.jpg

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the Trident, but like others and annoyed by the fixed testing times. I don't have an issue per say with the amount of tests. Four a day is excessive, but I can live with that. My issue is with the fixed times and how you can't adjust it to your light cycle. For instance, I dose differently from 10:00-22:00 when my lights are on than 22:00-10:00 when my lights are off. It would be a great addition to be able to set say the first test of the day, then it could test every 6 hours based on that time instead of starting everything at midnight.

Curious and maybe someone who tried this can chime in. Can you spoof the time in Apex to be a couple hours off and in doing so cause your Trident testing to start when you want it to?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the Trident, but like others and annoyed by the fixed testing times. I don't have an issue per say with the amount of tests. Four a day is excessive, but I can live with that. My issue is with the fixed times and how you can't adjust it to your light cycle. For instance, I dose differently from 10:00-22:00 when my lights are on than 22:00-10:00 when my lights are off. It would be a great addition to be able to set say the first test of the day, then it could test every 6 hours based on that time instead of starting everything at midnight.

Curious and maybe someone who tried this can chime in. Can you spoof the time in Apex to be a couple hours off and in doing so cause your Trident testing to start when you want it to?

My understanding is yes, you can change time zone. But you would then have to change all the programming for everything else... more of a pain than it’s worth

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back