Neptune trident

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you are correct with the last statement of being careful what you buy thus the Latin saying...Caveat emptor. You are not really being fair by stating your opinion that first buyers are test dummies and we disagree. Neptune had a similar run with their Cor pumps and a similar launch with high demand but low number of product available. Within a week or two more products started to roll out and inventory started to equalize.

First buyers are not test dummies. That is why they run their beta tests. Those test results may or may not delay the product. By the time the product reaches us usually it is pretty solid and will do as it states. I picked up a Cor 15 upon launch and it is going strong a year and half later. I have 2 Cor 15's and later picked up a Cor 20. Never once felt like a test dummy by picking up the Cor 15 at launch. You want to see a failed product launch go look at Vectra return pumps...

Also I'm not sure what you mean by saying "just a hyped up expensive throw away company". I think you mean product. The product isn't going anywhere and it is cheaper than other products and integrates seamlessly if you have an Apex ecosystem. If you already have the ecosystem in place then chances are high you have a dosing system from them which means even more control. I will say that their products are not the prettiest with regards to form factors but to say they are throw away I'm not sure you understand, or maybe acknowledge, that they are the primary controller in our hobby next to GHL.

They didn't get that way by being expensive or developing throw away items. It doesn't mean they don't have product failures or other issues. I don't think my opinion is going to change yours or yours mine though which is fine.

By throw away I mean, it's a throw away society in general. Things made to last a year if that. Washing machines, cars, ovens ect.. they break we throw them away cause it's less than fixing.

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, it is getting kind of hard to follow all these threads for the serious questions what with all the hand wringing and griping. So, I created the "Official" FAQ thread just for that purpose. That said, it is quite polluted now too so I am working on that with R2R. I would like to keep one, clean thread, to take questions and give answers - then we can update our official company Trident thread with those that become "Frequent" here is the link:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/trident-faq-official.595650/

Sorry, have had horrible experiences with your products and company. I will not keep silent.

acjobim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I look at it in all products and services. The more hyped up and bigger the company the more disposable the product becomes.

I'm in the construction field. What I see is craftsmen work alone. Because if your a true craftsmen not to many can match your work. And you care so much about giving a great product you do it alone. Than theres the rest. From the owner to the guy hacking. With the just get it done I need my money mentality. They even have crews to fix all the mistakes visible to the eyes.

The answer I get most from the bug guys is if you want to go big let go. Really??

I chose to be a craftsmen and not chase the money. I'm happy!

Sorry I just don't like these poor product everyone is making a killing on now days. I'll leave you alone now.

Remember more hype usually equals more problems.

This makes absolutely no sense at all. Try again.

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes absolutely no sense at all. Try again.
Bigger the company, the more hype there is. The less quality you get.

Bigger companies are just chasing a buck. Quality is somewhere down low on the totem pole. It's all about numbers.

Seams like most don't even know what a craftsman is anymore.

U

User1

View Badges
By throw away I mean, it's a throw away society in general. Things made to last a year if that. Washing machines, cars, ovens ect.. they break we throw them away cause it's less than fixing.

Well not sure what income bracket you are in but most people will fix a washing machine, car, oven, etc. You are right that we throw away a chair in some cases or printer, or hard drive or similar cheap item say like a Jeabo return pump.

I understand you had a bad experience or several with Neptune. But how do you handle those of us who have not? As I noted my Cor return pumps purchased at launch or later after are still running after a year? What about the Apex system, ATO, dosing unit, etc? You had issues I do not. Again - the company wouldn't be in business if it was consistently bad.

Even with the Vectra pump issue they recovered and launched a better product and doing well. So no, don't be silent but at the same time you need to be reasonable when other people do not have the same experience as you let alone bash a product you do not intend to buy or have even used (Trident).

I mean come on, let us be somewhat fair and unbiased.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, have had horrible experiences with your products and company. I will not keep silent.

I have had 3 Apex systems over the years and NEVER a problem. Maybe you got a bad part or maybe operator error...I don't know. What I do know is you are not doing this community any good with your rant and are ruining this thread. Please stop. I get you don't like Neptune products...the majority of us do and have had great success with them. Thanks.

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And your horrible experience with Neptune and their products was?
Heaters randomly coming on 2 1000 waters (heats up fast). Dose got stuck on rite out of the box. Ato stuck on a screaming rite out of the box.

Luckily my local store is cool and kicked a little back. But I couldn't get a full refund on a defective product. They did it out of kindness.

Than it just fried and my tank went haywire. Luckily I generally work 5-10 min from home.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wasn’t asking you to. I was responding to a person who wanted their legitimate question(s) answered. Nothing was addressed to you. No need to apologize.

And for the record, I make enough money to have tossed my two year old Visio TV but instead found the capacitors necessary to fix it for $10 and an hour of my time. I also have, in the past, repaired my Washing machine, dryer, refrigerator, and many other things. So, no, I am not part of this throwaway society you speak of. I think this is a red herring.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters randomly coming on 2 1000 waters (heats up fast). Dose got stuck on rite out of the box. Ato stuck on a screaming rite out of the box.

Luckily my local store is cool and kicked a little back. But I couldn't get a full refund on a defective product. They did it out of kindness.

Than it just fried and my tank went haywire. Luckily I generally work 5-10 min from home.

Did you every come here or go to the Neptune forum to troubleshoot? Maybe you had things plugged into the wrong outlets or programmed wrong. I can't see all these things being defective when so many of us have no issues. Sounds to me like operator error. I can see one thing being defective...but so many??? I don't buy it.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am super excited the Trident has been released. I hope I can get my hands on one before I go to Europe this summer. Would be nice to be able to monitor my values while I am away!

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you all are fine with products that break within a year. With the mentality of, it's okay the company made it rite, or it's a cheep fix. Whatever happened to quality? That's where I'm at.

All I know is I'm out some coin on these products. And it almost killed a lot of money in live stock.

I'll leave you apexers alone now. Good luck with your STUFF.

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you all are fine with products that break within a year. With the mentality of, it's okay the company made it rite, or it's a cheep fix. Whatever happened to quality? That's where I'm at.

All I know is I'm out some coin on these products. And it almost killed a lot of money in live stock.

That's what a warranty is for.

I need to unsubscribe from this one. Could we get this thread re-named to un-useful

acjobim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger the company, the more hype there is. The less quality you get.

Bigger companies are just chasing a buck. Quality is somewhere down low on the totem pole. It's all about numbers.

Seams like most don't even know what a craftsman is anymore.

I have had a Trident since the first week of February. It is a precision instrument and very "crafty". It is obvious that it was conceived and crafted by a collection of craftsmen, hobbyist, and scientist. As a craftsman, you should get one......

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an observer, I find this to be very interesting. As with most new products, a certain percentage of us get all excited and cant wait to own one. I'm sure a psychologist might be able to make a comparison to those that have to have the latest iPhone or clothing trend. Then there are those that automatically resist the "trendy" and find all the reasons why the other side is wrong. Personally I find that I am able to keep KH very stable using a simple dosing system that I adjust every few weeks based on test results I do myself. Is that the "best" way. For me? yes. For others no. I do question that a significant percentage will actually go to the trouble to maintain their items per warranty guidelines similar to going to the dealership to keep there car under warranty. In the end, personality typing would estimate that there will be a near 50% population on either side and that there is no wrong or right, rather just preference. They would also say that it is genetically predetermined. But even though predictable, as this seems to happens often with new, higher priced items, it is interesting to watch.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good call dude. See you later

MJNTWise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bless your [emoji173]

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#ApexFanBoy
#TridentFanBoy

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, it is getting kind of hard to follow all these threads for the serious questions what with all the hand wringing and griping. So, I created the "Official" FAQ thread just for that purpose. That said, it is quite polluted now too so I am working on that with R2R. I would like to keep one, clean thread, to take questions and give answers - then we can update our official company Trident thread with those that become "Frequent" here is the link:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/trident-faq-official.595650/

To be fair, the few times Neptune visits these threads is to complain or be defensive about the topics people are discussing. The original FAQ thread suffered from this issue as well. It would be better if some of the many question were actually answered. That alone would keep the discussion on point.

It seems silly to "work with R2R" just because you don't like what some people have to say. Some will have concerns about certain aspects of the product/launch/price/whatever, and some will not. Its a discussion forum. No thread will ever be "clean" but that doesn't mean you can't focus on using the thread for its original purpose.

Sorry if this post comes across sarcastic or anything. Its just, at this point you've already addressed the people (like me) who have issues with the launch or servicing. There are plenty of good questions (that a lot of us are curious about) that could be addressed instead.

Edit: Looking through the FAQ thread just now, its only 12 pages and the vast majority of the comments seem to be on topic. Edit: 12 was cut down to 5 pages...

Last edited:

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my perspective I think there has definitely been two sides of the coin. I feel as though Neptune has put out a product many will find useful while others have simply no need or desire for said product. I think the marketing bit off more than they could chew by announcing the Trident so early and then the avalanche of inquires came down on them which for the most part were handled well but there were a few remarks that i found a tad unsettling --- I wouldnt classify myself as a nay sayer or fanboy but I was curious on the information of a product from a source I have had success with in the past. I am sure neptune would have done things differently in terms of their release but hindsight is 20/20. I think the only thing I am frustrated with is the amount available and in turn me not being able to purchase or even preorder one--- that is frustrating when I have decided on a product--- which has been released and it gets in peoples hands to make a buck rather than to the hobbyist it is meant for (See picture below of EBAY right now). However, that's business and I moved too slow to get one. That's on me but its not life or death and so many people have such strong feelings surrounding this product and the company that produces it. If I could reiterate one thing --- I would say that if this isnt a product you intend on purchasing or havent already then maybe commenting on an item you wont have any hands on experience with is a waste of your time. thats my 2 cents--- Can I have it back though? I need it to try to pay for a trident lol
C:\Users\zach\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back