New 75g Reef Set Up - Questions on Equipment

TheSilentHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef community, this is my first time posting but I've been following some of the threads on here for a few months now.

I've been keeping fish (freshwater community and cichlids) for about the past 15 or so years and I'm about to dive into saltwater and reef keeping for the first time. When I first wanted to start this endeavor 5 years ago, I started reading a number of books (Robert Fenner's The Conscientious Marine Aquarist for one) and recently have looked through revhtree's The Supreme Guide To Setting Up A Saltwater Reef Aquarium. My problem comes with even though I have the basic "set up" knowledge as described by these resources, many of these previous articles and resources seem to be outdated with technology and previous brands that may have been "top of the line" may not be so anymore.

Right now, all I have is a 75 gallon tank (not drilled) and stand. I know I'd like to keep some soft corals and possibly LPS corals (I figure STS would be too advanced right now). With this in mind, I'm looking for recommendations on the equipment I'd need and some recommendations on brands/models for them?

Starting off with the filtration, I know I'll need a HOB Overflow due to my tank being tempered glass (I can't drill it). Any recommendations on brands here? I'd like to have a sump/refugium below the stand. What is your take on creating your own from an old tank vs. buying one (like a Trigger Systems Sump - http://www.marinedepot.com/Trigger_...-Trigger_Systems_LLC-6E81644-FIFRBSCU-vi.html) .

Next would be a protein skimmer. I've heard that Reef Octopus is solid for the amount of money you spend, but I've also heard that the Vertex Alpha is the absolute best (again, through opinions on the message boards). Money wise, I think the Alpha is a bit out of my range, but would the Vertex Omega be better than a Reef Octopus since they seem to be around the same price? I'm not married to either of these brands, they just seemed to be the most talked about recently.

Since I have to send the water back from the sump somehow, I'll need a pump. How would I figure out how much GPH flow is enough for a sump? Does anyone have any good brands here?

Lighting is something I've been incredibly confused about. When I first started researching saltwater tanks years ago metal halides were the standard and T5 lighting seemed to be an up an coming option. Now I see LEDs are available and I would probably prefer them due to their configuration options. However I can't just follow the X watts per gallon rule for corals with these. Realizing that there's a whole discussion board on LED lighting alone, this may be a topic for that thread, but any help in this department to keep LPS corals and the fish happy would be great (as well as brands and where to find them).

In terms of flow inside the tank, what should be the recommended flow for power heads inside of the tank? How many should I have?

Lastly, I know I'll need heaters and a chiller due to the temperature fluctuations within my home. I'm very unfamiliar with chillers and what to look for, but I had heard Eheim heaters were good so I was thinking about going with them unless that's changed over the past few years?

I understand that this is a lengthy post and I've asked a bunch of questions that normally a broken out into a number of threads and discussion boards. If anyone has a thread or resources where any of these questions are answered, I'm more than happy to read them instead of repeating questions to things that are already out there. If I'm forgetting anything that you might need to help you (or I've completely forgotten about a piece of necessary equipment) let me know and I'll be sure to fill in the gaps. Eventually, I'd like to connect everything to an aquarium controller, maybe even right from the start, so if the items are able to be controlled with one, even better.

I know price is always a deciding factor for many of the choices. While I don't want to break the bank and spend thousands on one piece of equipment, I also don't want to skimp. I'd rather pay a bit extra to get a quality piece of gear that will ultimately make the reef a safer and more stable environment for the fish and corals.

Thanks again and happy to finally be posting!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off - Welcome to R2R! The first thing that I would recommend is to make sure your tank is actually tempered. IMO, a drilled tank is much more desirable. Is just your bottom tempered, or the whole tank? Likely it would just be the bottom. You can drill the back glass (assuming it is not tempered), instead of the bottom, if you use a Glass-Holes or Ghost Overflow that does not involve a hole drilled in the bottom of the tank.

Nothing wrong with the Trigger sumps. A lot of people use those and I have never heard anything negative about them.

You may not need a chiller, unless you are wanting to use metal halide lighting, or keep your A/C set higher during the day when you aren't home. I think with the advent of the LED lighting systems, chillers are becoming less common.

bklynreef123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting from scratch you should really really conscider getting a reef ready tank or a tank that can be drilled. HOB overflows are temperamental and tend to no start to siphon on their own if there is an interruption in power.

OP
OP
T

TheSilentHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome and the response!

Is just your bottom tempered, or the whole tank?
I had just assumed it was the entire tank since there was a big sticker on the glass. I'll have to double check since I would like to drill it over having an overflow. Is there a way to determine if glass is tempered or not (I don't have a sticker telling me tempered on each panel).

Unfortunately, I live in an old house that doesn't have central A/C and just window units. I'll probably need the chiller just for the piece of mind (and that it gets hot in here even with the window unit on).

OP
OP
T

TheSilentHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I checked out some of the videos and I ended up trying the polarized lens test. I was able to see my cell phone screen after distorting through the glass, so I'm thinking all of the panels are tempered. I realize that a reef ready tank would be ideal, but I'd assume the other equipment wouldn't necessarily be impacted that much whether the overflow is in the tank or not.

edinphilly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded from a sumpless 29 standard to a 75 with sump. Got reef ready.

You could go sumpless and do a HOB skimmer but I wouldn't. And I wouldn't use a non-drilled overflow.

A standard 75 couldn't have set you back much. Worst case scrap it and get one you can drill or that is reef ready.

I bought a used 65 and a small sump for my upgrade and wasn't happy during the test set up in the garage with the dimensions and size. I sold them at a loss and am very glad I did. Better to get it right from the start.

Oh and my best piece of advice... I too went fresh to reef... get a quality auto top off e.g. Tunze.

OP
OP
T

TheSilentHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What manufacturer made the tank?

It's a Marineland. Tank dimensions are 18"L x 48"W x 21"H.

Oh and my best piece of advice... I too went fresh to reef... get a quality auto top off e.g. Tunze.

Thanks, edinphilly. I forgot to mention an auto top off. Appreciate the pointer on Tunze, I'll definitely check them out.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked on the Marineland web site for you. I found this in their Q&A section:

75.jpg

This Q&A section of the Marineland website where I found this information is HERE

The reason that most tanks only have tempered bottoms, is that the tempering process (heat) can leave optical imperfections in the glass. Not good, visually, for an aquarium. As far as drilling the tank voiding the warranty, that is pretty much standard with any manufacturer, unless they drill the tank themselves. I think many of us have voided warranties by drilling tanks. It really isn't difficult to do. No guts, no glory. :)

OP
OP
T

TheSilentHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for looking that up, Fin. I really appreciate it. I was trying to find it on their website last night but wasn't having any luck.

Alright, I'm assuming I should drill the back and put on a retrofit overflow (any suggestions on brands here that people like/where to get them)? And if I go through with this, what would be the recommendations on the other equipment?

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go with smaller and less expensive overflows, but this is what I would personally use on that tank - 16" Synergy Reef Overflow

This overflow offers low profile inside the tank and an external box that allows for the installation of a silent Bean Animal style overflow set up. It does have an external box (about3") on the back of the tank, which may not be suitable, if you need the tank up against the wall. But, if you drill the back, it will require some space between the tank and wall for plumbing anyway. It also offers a little more surface skimming area from some of the other overflows.

OP
OP
T

TheSilentHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that overflow looks pretty nice. I've added it to my purchase list!

Any recommendations for that the next step? Skimmer/Pumps/Powerheads/Heaters/Chillers?

Back