New Anemone Hiding

hsiFcixelsyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same problem with a green tip bubble, it went inside a hollowed out rock and has not come out in 2 days, when should I be concerened

hsiFcixelsyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, not the best pic.

543979047.jpg

KRay1260

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a beautiful new bta and he was good where I placed him for 2 days! Then my light fell and scared the hell out of everything in the tank! And me lol, but now my bta moved and is hiding? Dang he was so beautiful all open and eating! I hope he goes to a good spot? I also have a clown and he acts like he doesn’t even know what an anem is? Anyways I’m new to reefing as well so any insight is much appreciated. Thanks guys

Robot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten 2 different anemones in the last 3 month, one went to the back of the tank after about a week, then just disappeared and the second one disappeared the first night. I have not seen either for many weeks even after moving the live rock, no signs of either. Do they just die from starvation or lack of light.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have gotten 2 different anemones in the last 3 month, one went to the back of the tank after about a week, then just disappeared and the second one disappeared the first night. I have not seen either for many weeks even after moving the live rock, no signs of either. Do they just die from starvation or lack of light.

Usually they do not crawl behind the rocks and die, most of the time they eventually find their way out..

They usually crawl there because they are either looking for another spot because they do not like where they were or trying to get out of the light.
They may also move there because of too much flow but more likely light.

It is possible they are still there because they can retract into a pretty small hole and you did not see them.

Most likely if they died it is because something was wrong. They were not acclimated properly, tank parameters were not right, the anemones were not in great shape to begin with, shipping etc.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Robot welcome to r2r!! This thread is painfully old...please feel free to start a new thread to get more eyes on it as well as a meet and greet thread so we can welcome you properly! :)

Plaidjoker1321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hsi, I would give him at least a week to get used to what all is going on. If he is still there after a week, turn down flow, if he still doesnt come out, reduce lighting... I dont know what your setup is but i imagine he is there to just get used to the new surroundings, im sure everything is fine.

luceym

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a little bubble tip anemone my first ever one, yesterday he moved all the way across to hide behind a shell where there is no current, he has sort of sucked himself in and a few of the bubbletips are poking out still he is clogging to a bit of live rock behind the shell , is this normal behaviour?

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a beautiful rose bubble tip anemone. He was placed in my 75 gallon tank on the bottom and unfortunately he has decided to wedge himself in a cave-like area under a rock. He appears to be perfectly healthy and is a beautiful deep red. I did notice that one of the two clownfish has become aware of his presence and will go up to him, but he can not "host" it yet due to the position of the anemone. Will he eventually move out to a more "open" area as to fully extend the tentacles or is this permanent? Here is a photo:

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
I’m with you on this, I just got two RBTA yesterday, a medium sized one and one the size of the tip of my pinky! And within 30 min they both were moving all over my rock! The small one somehow managed to get across the sand and into a cave in my tank towards the bottom and the bigger one moved all the way to the top of my tank and is not attached to the glass lol. Hoping my clowns host it as they appear to be currently annoying my big purple bubble coral lol. You’re not in the learning process alone, best of luck!

hokey11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he is a day later. Looking better, waiting for the clownfish to notice.
100_8939.jpg

100_8939.jpg
I have heard captive bred clowns can be a bit “dumb” when it comes to using their anemones. Don’t be discouraged if your clowns don’t start using it right away. I have heard taping a picture of a clown in an anemone or playing a video on repeat of an anemone hosting clowns can help encourage them. As ridiculous as that sounds :)

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back