New build 800+ DT mixed reef with 1300 g total system

nytegti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this will be a factor or not, but can the tile stand the weight without cracking? I'd think epoxy would be your best bet. plus cleaning grout is not my idea of a good time.

OP
OP
nitrox36

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call i was going over just that today, I think I might just do a boarder around the wall instead? What do u think

OP
OP
nitrox36

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping tommorw my buddy mark will be finished with my stand.

OP
OP
nitrox36

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st snag....... Ok the roof in my house has seen its last days... gotta replace it, so my project has been put on hold for a couple weeks... buying wise at least. Im still going to continue the building. going to try to knock out the 2nd wall frame.

OP
OP
nitrox36

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this is when it pays to have a steady full time job.... otherwise this dream would have been kaboshed... for a while...lol.

OP
OP
nitrox36

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was doing an inventory of what ill need and what i have lol...... wow i have accumulated a lot of stuff over the years.

OP
OP
nitrox36

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people don't like ASM Skimmers, but i got a big one that does a great job. I went to a few stores and saw what they used on their big systems.I am confidant that this will be great in the new system.

nytegti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the boarded idea is great, just make sure you either lay the stand in its final position first, or measure the tile perfectly!

OP
OP
nitrox36

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha yea, that woulda set me back a little while!

well i tell ya the insurance company want a to of $$$ and so do the roofers., of course they will pick out a ton of crap to report to the insurance company, but whatever!! as long ads its fixed. My wife and I hit the idea around of just paying out of pocket, but i think this bad boy is going to cost about 6 or 7k. so no thanks, thats what i have insurance for. The last storms we had were brutal to the roof and I think that the last ice storm did it in....

OP
OP
nitrox36

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now my wife presented a funny problem... My current tank. I think i will let the new system run for 3 or4 months before i break the old one down.??? what you all think? then lol i have to sell the other one sheesh that will take a few lol

nytegti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use some rock from the old one to seed the new one. Pour in a bunch of ammonia and cycle it through. that way you seed the new rock with old. here's a calculator to use for calculating how much ammonia. if you eyeball it it's ~10-15ml/100gal to get you to 4ppm Ammonia. This way you can kill 2 birds with one stone. get some of rock out of your current DT, speed up the cycle, & speed up the breakdown. thus making wife happy?

NJHC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use some rock from the old one to seed the new one. Pour in a bunch of ammonia and cycle it through. that way you seed the new rock with old. here's a calculator to use for calculating how much ammonia. if you eyeball it it's ~10-15ml/100gal to get you to 4ppm Ammonia. This way you can kill 2 birds with one stone. get some of rock out of your current DT, speed up the cycle, & speed up the breakdown. thus making wife happy?

+1

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

chadderboxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I say cycle it with a couple pieces but leave your 500. So 3m of cycle and then you have to wait on me to get mine running so I can take your equipment so that's like 6 more months there. Lol how's glasscages doing with the what 3rd tank now?

Last edited:

ReEfErAdDiCt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man and you said lots of people would love to have a setup like mine!? Lol Outstanding project. Hopefully one day I can be on your level!!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
nitrox36

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I say cycle it with a couple pieces but leave your 500. So 3m of cycle and then you have to wait on me to get mine running so I can take your equipment so that's like 6 more months there. Lol how's glasscages doing with the what 3rd tank now?

Lol just waiting on the tank call so I can go get it. They can take there time, gives me more to complete lol.

OP
OP
nitrox36

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man and you said lots of people would love to have a setup like mine!? Lol Outstanding project. Hopefully one day I can be on your level!!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
No level here man lol, just a addict, I learn everyday. And cuz of this site I meet cool people who have better ideas that I take it upon myself to try and use lol. But thanks for he compliment

OP
OP
nitrox36

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill tell you this with out forums I could have never upgraded from my 35g over 11 years ago lol

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 39 27.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 30 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 14 10.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 50 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back