New extractor fans in the fish room

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive just had new extractor fans put in the fish room, because it was getting so humid. It got me wondering how many people notice the hunidity increase dramatically in their rooms with their aquariums, and what they do about it? And if its a problem for them. I think large tanks in living areas may be a problem for comfort?
1000023107.jpg
1000023104.jpg

1000023104.jpg

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC helps reduce humidity assuming it's the type which constantly has it's fans running. Why I installed a Carrier Infinity which is variable meaning the fans are always on even if the cooling isn't. My condensate is considerably more than my prior two stage and my skin no longer feels clammy. Next is trying to get an air handler to manage excess co2. Not sure how that affects humidity since living in south Florida means 65% plus most days outside and the ERV is exchanging stale inside with out.

Something to consider with those extractors is how is air being added back in. I forget if it's positive or negative pressure but one happens because more air is pushed out than is received. Something an ERV solves.

OP
OP
FishOkay

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC helps reduce humidity assuming it's the type which constantly has it's fans running. Why I installed a Carrier Infinity which is variable meaning the fans are always on even if the cooling isn't. My condensate is considerably more than my prior two stage and my skin no longer feels clammy. Next is trying to get an air handler to manage excess co2. Not sure how that affects humidity since living in south Florida means 65% plus most days outside and the ERV is exchanging stale inside with out.

Something to consider with those extractors is how is air being added back in. I forget if it's positive or negative pressure but one happens because more air is pushed out than is received. Something an ERV solves.
That's exactly what I was worrying about now, the adding fresh air back in. So I think now it should be negative pressure. It will draw some fresh air from the gaps in the garage door and such, but I think I may now need just a vent to allow fresh air draw. Air con is definitely a good solution for humidity and cooling, I feel maybe expensive to run though if heats constantly being generated? But It's probably like that anyway in florida lol

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I was worrying about now, the adding fresh air back in. So I think now it should be negative pressure. It will draw some fresh air from the gaps in the garage door and such, but I think I may now need just a vent to allow fresh air draw. Air con is definitely a good solution for humidity and cooling, I feel maybe expensive to run though if heats constantly being generated? But It's probably like that any in florida lol
Look into a mini split. Serves both the purpose of cooling and heating while removing excess moisture. Less than two grand to install and diy ready if you're the handy man type. I'm not. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Gone is the need for heaters that might malfunction unless different tanks need to be maintained at different temperature. Cheap to run since you're not cooling a large space and the condensate could be run through RODI and reused vs dumped outside.

Dehumidifier another option where condensate could also be reused. Both might introduce metals based on construction and that's likely all the RODI would be removing.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back