Welcome!
welcomeXD.gif

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!
My story is different; as in 'everything old is new again', and so is my learning curve on salt tanks. Been in the fish game for close to...let's just say 40+ years, BUT, I've been away from all things fishy due to serious illnesses.
I plan on doing either a 60 gal cube or build my own faux drop off. I'm moving next year; and so I don't want to get anything too big til after my move, but I don't want to wait 'til next October 2020.

I've managed 3 fish depts/stores, trained ferocious parrots; babysat a sick lion, and have been trapped in a room with a leopard cut that got away from the vet...yea really, but getting back in the salt game intimidates me. It really does. There's so many new gadgets on the market, but I don't buy like a fool, I am a researcher.

I'm going to do a seahorse species tank, either 60-70 cube, or a 48 drop down. I've got my specs, and going to build it myself with help from a friend of mine that is building himself a catamaran, so I count myself lucky there.
I need advice on which you guys think the dwarfs will like better size wise, i.e. I have some reservations about a drop down for them, and flow issues in that sort of tank. (Hence saying I may stick with a larger cube; & then that is a no brainer for a cube. I would just build a drop down for another use.

Thanks for listening, and if any of you have already built a drop down, let me know...OR if you do NOT recommend it for the horses, let me know that too. (P.S.) I know their care/enviroment needs already, been there, done that in the far past.)

@HunterW Welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
HunterW

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you are feeling better and back in the game. I started back in 1973, so you're not the only old fossil posting here ;)
Yes, old fossils are treasured for generations to come; just not the current one...btw, I am getting a 90 bow front for a steal, but it's coming from 1700 miles away, so I am arranging for courier pickup and or packing, and of course shipping.
It is a steal, the tank, the pumps. I have a bunch of equipment, and going to make my own sump. I'm 67 years young...lol.."black don't crack" although I have a hard time remembering sometimes, and for that reason, I have pulled out my old fish manuals, a la Theil for e.g.
Ok, thanks for listening.

OP
OP
HunterW

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome hunter ! Look forward to You sharing your knowledge . I know what Ya mean about illness been dealing with it since last September. Hard to keep the faith when not feeling good. Hope Your feeling better !
Thank you so much for the wellwishing. I have been feeling SO much better. It took a quick trip to the doctor, but hey, it happens. Oh, I am doing a posting tomorrow in the afternoon. I just got a 90 gallon bow front, well, let me be honest, I have committed to paying for it on the 3rd of June. It's not going to be shipped to me til July, by my behest, for I will be traveling and super busy in June and splitting the payment. Paying for the tank itself in June (right around the corner) and paying for the shipping in July. The tank is a steal, the guy was great, and although it does not come with a stand, my bf is going to help me build one (as soon as I ask him)...lol..he was going to help me build a drop down, but I like the idea of him just building the stand. I have a stand for a bow front, but not one that is 90 gallons. Well, I'm real excited about all this, and keep an eye on my postings over the next couple of weeks, for we both are good at this BUT, I never did corals back in the day. Thanks for listening. Hunter.

OP
OP
HunterW

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure will, I posted at like 3 a.m. and will do so soon! Thank you:)

I just sent a question to a moderator; I'm so tried from classes, I will read the response tomorrow evening. Read my post if you wish; and/or I'll let you know when it's up. Got a tank on the way in July; although paying for it in June......night now.

OP
OP
HunterW

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, Hunter!
Don't over think things. Go with what has proven to work. I'd do the cube. Many things have changed but the basics will always stay the same. Fortunately, with a seahorse tank, lighting will be simple. We look forward to hearing from those that have kept seahorses and there are some subforums on the subject. Can't wait to hear what you choose and to be able to tag along as you progress
Share and Like often!
OMgosh, I have overthought things all my life; I just sent something to a moderator that would make you laugh...and I wish I'd have read your reply here to me before I did so...lolol...
Bottom line, (as you can probably read my post later, but I wouldn't recommend it...lol) I am getting a 90 gallon bow front for an unbelievable price! The catch is the shipping may be a bit, I'm researching it tomorrow a.m. He said 40 bucks, but I don't want to take advantage of a person, so I am making sure that I use the right company. (UPS..FEDEX...whatever, as I have an account with)
The horses on their own with have plenty of holdfast in a 90 so I am tickled pink...well tickled caramel pink. Thanks for the feeback, it WAS needed for me to hear that.

OP
OP
HunterW

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a leopard cub for sale if you would like????? - you can forget about the tank. (Just kidding lol). welcome to R2R - someone will have an answer for you - if I (think) I know what you mean by a drop down - I dont see why a seahorse would have a problem
LOLOLOL...! I love this forum.
Want my killer Shih Tzus? Don't answer that...LOL...nite

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMgosh, I have overthought things all my life; I just sent something to a moderator that would make you laugh...and I wish I'd have read your reply here to me before I did so...lolol...
Bottom line, (as you can probably read my post later, but I wouldn't recommend it...lol) I am getting a 90 gallon bow front for an unbelievable price! The catch is the shipping may be a bit, I'm researching it tomorrow a.m. He said 40 bucks, but I don't want to take advantage of a person, so I am making sure that I use the right company. (UPS..FEDEX...whatever, as I have an account with)
The horses on their own with have plenty of holdfast in a 90 so I am tickled pink...well tickled caramel pink. Thanks for the feeback, it WAS needed for me to hear that.
Ah! Congratulations on your choice! Keep us all posted and be certain to start a build thread.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back