New member after advice

Matt1912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys so after a 8 year hiatus from marines after a tank crack!!! I’ve just returned from Egypt and having snorkelled there and seeing the stunning reef there I’ve decided to jump back in to keeping an aquarium!! Right firstly I’ve my heart set on a 72” x 24” x 30” with an 350l sump, with regards to lighting, I see it’s moved on quite a bit in the 8 years since I last used 400w halides!! Any advice on led’s? Also what skimmers are people using and water movement also. Thanks guys any advice is much appreciated, obviously I don’t have a bottomless pit of money but I don’t want skrimp either! Cheers

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! There are still plenty who use and love halides, but as far as LEDs, I like Kessils, but radions are a close second. I use cheap powerheads, but am looking to upgrade to either ecotech vortechs or the new AI Nero pump. I don't have a skimmer but I hear good things about Reef Octopus.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Be prepared to read pages and pages of comments on lighting. You'll get 12 different answers from 6 different people lol. Leds have come a long way in recent years. I'm very fond of kessil lighting and will always recommend them to anyone looking to get into LEDs ;)
ezgif-6-e3f059e4827c.gif
#WelcometoR2R

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys so after a 8 year hiatus from marines after a tank crack!!! I’ve just returned from Egypt and having snorkelled there and seeing the stunning reef there I’ve decided to jump back in to keeping an aquarium!! Right firstly I’ve my heart set on a 72” x 24” x 30” with an 350l sump, with regards to lighting, I see it’s moved on quite a bit in the 8 years since I last used 400w halides!! Any advice on led’s? Also what skimmers are people using and water movement also. Thanks guys any advice is much appreciated, obviously I don’t have a bottomless pit of money but I don’t want skrimp either! Cheers
Welcome aboard ;)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I used Metal Halide as well in the nineties. I have a pretty small tank now so a single black box LED was sufficient (SB Reef Lights Extreme WiFi 16”). I have some basic electrical skills and like that I can customize or repair the light box if I wish. For water movement I am very happy with my gyre (IceCap 1k). All just my opinion on my 45 gallon tank.

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and thank you for your service!

The options can be overwhelming now!

I really like the Aqua Illumination HD Series for lights. If I was running a hood on my tank I would probably run an Aqualitc Life T5 hybrid fixture which allows you to mount most of the led options mentioned here inside of a T5 fixture. It seems like the Hybrid setups are the way to go now. That said I currently run the Aqua Illumination Hydra 26 HD's on my tank but have had good results with cheaper and more expensive options. The main thing with LED's is that most of the main stream options are capable of frying corals so be mindful.

For flow the Gyre style pumps move a LOT of water! I have been happy with all of the ones I have used and am currently running the Icecap 1K's. All of the other main stream options are good as well. If you are looking to keep things cheaper then Jebao pumps have been good for me in the past.

Good luck with the choices, I look forward to seeing you future build!

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R!:)

If you go with led's, two fixtures are better than one. For example, instead of 1 AI 52HD, I would go with 2 26HD's. If you can, I would mix led's and t5's.

The same goes for pumps. Going with 3 or 4 smaller powerheads will allow for more random flow and fewer dead spots in the tank than having 1 bigger powerhead.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back