New member and just purchased the first part of my tank

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New member here... looking forward to learning lots about this hobby.

I was initially leaning towards an AIO nano aquarium, but today I got a good deal on a 65 gallon aquarium/stand so I decided to give it a shot, plus I like the dimensions of it. So the first step is taken care of... the next steps are what I'm not 100% sure about plans of. I think I'm going to drill it for overflow and return(s). Is 1 return sufficient for a 65g or should I do 2? I'm a little nervous about drilling it... but I've read and watched some videos and it really doesn't look that difficult. Down below the overflow, I'm thinking of a 10g refugium kit from ebay. Are there any particular brands of return pumps I should look at, that are both cost effective and durable? The skimmer will probably come down the road... really it will probably be very minimally stocked in the beginning anyway so I'm not sure a skimmer will be necessary for a while. In the tank I'll probably do around 60+lbs of dry rock and 80lbs of live sand. For the lighting I was thinking of a 300w MarsAqua LED. As far as stocking goes... it will probably be pretty light to start off with. "easy" beginner corals and a few fish. It'll obviously get stocked in time, but it wont be crazy right off the bat... for $$$ reasons and because I'm sure things will go wrong with it.

That's it for now... I'm sure I'm missing alot of info but that's what I have off the top of my head.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to being here. Please leave any advice you can... I need it.lol

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
Here is a great resource to get you started ... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

IMG_4786 santa.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, Mikee002!

I've got almost the same setup, though un-drilled. (I used a CPR HOB siphon overflow, and I think you're probably better off drilling . . . ) I've got a 20-L sump under mine, but had to take the doors off of my stand to get it in there. I've also been using the MarsAqua 300-watt fixture overhead for a year, and have enjoyed it enough to order a second one for the new 6' tank. I've used a single return on my system, but with less than 600gph coming out of the Eheim pump. It gets the job done, but the flow-through could be higher...

The link Helen Ann shot you is a great place to get lost for a month or so on your way to a great system!

~Bruce

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there my name is Vanessa and I just wanted to stop by and say welcome to reef2reef here on this site you will meet many people that have tons of incredible knowledge in the saltwater Community they have come to this site to share with everybody and learn also. We love to hear the journey that you're taking with your saltwater tank pictures are always fun also on this wonderful site there are many many threads for learning it's unbelievable I can spend hours there so I want to welcome you again to reassure you and tell you welcome to your new home

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.8%
Back