New Pistol Shrimp and Hi-Fin Goby

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So I recently got a small randall’s pistol shrimp and a tiny hi-fin goby. I put the goby in first and he went and hid somewhere immediately. I put the shrimp in after and he immediately made a little burrow in the very front of the tank. Almost 2 weeks later now and I haven’t seen the goby since I first put him in the tank, the shrimp is looking good though I see him from time to time moving sand out of his burrow. My question is when should I assume that this goby didn’t make it? He is tiny and in my rock work it’s essentially impossible to see him if he’s just hiding.

Thanks in advance!

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
assuming the goby did not jump out, any chance it made it into the water outflow chamber or something like that? My small yasha goby sat in the AIO back chamber for about 10 weeks before I found him. thought he was gone. he is doing great now.

all that said, 2 weeks hanging out in the shrimp hole or a rock hole is not totally out of the question.
if he is still around and when he gets hungry enough, he will venture out.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just had images of me doing some paperwork at work while my dog is scooping up my suicidal goby off the floor. RIP. Genuinely a possibility I had not thought about.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still no sign of the goby still and idk where the shrimp is anymore, doesn’t seem to be in the original burrow. I assume the shrimp is fine but should I get a new goby at this point?

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still no sign of the goby still and idk where the shrimp is anymore, doesn’t seem to be in the original burrow. I assume the shrimp is fine but should I get a new goby at this point?
sounds like it has been 3+ weeks with no sign. could be conclusive.
little harm in trying a new fish to pair with and see what happens.
which kind of fish are you thinking?

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like it has been 3+ weeks with no sign. could be conclusive.
little harm in trying a new fish to pair with and see what happens.
which kind of fish are you thinking?
a yasha or spotted watchman but i’m not sure if the spotted watchman is too big for the candy cane

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a yasha or spotted watchman but i’m not sure if the spotted watchman is too big for the candy cane
if you can find a smaller one, it should be just fine. larger ones are not problematic, per se....but smaller one may be a good pairing. unlikely to make a big difference in the end from my experience anyhow.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can find a smaller one, it should be just fine. larger ones are not problematic, per se....but smaller one may be a good pairing. unlikely to make a big difference in the end from my experience anyhow.
this is what i went with, hopefully he’ll find the pistol if it’s still alive, I can’t find it anymore either. i think he’s pretty cute though either way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 7

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back