New Tank

rus15.rb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All.. just got my first tank... wanted to do this since I was 15. Going for a nano reef in my 130 litre tank.

Got the tank cycling right now. On day 3. I just keep doing research waiting for time to pass so I can get some critters. I've got a lot to learn about coral and I'm excited to learn it.
620c117201231d85b6139539e454d020.jpg

OP
OP
rus15.rb

rus15.rb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, got my test kits on the way from amazon... so far gravity and temperature are all good.. waiting for my ecosystem to learn how to make a nitrogen cycle

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're off to a good start testing is something you'll turn to when things don't look right for answers. Going slow and testing are keys to a happy reef and reefer.

OP
OP
rus15.rb

rus15.rb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my ceramic media cartridge is can't keep up with the flow I have pulling on it causing the water level in the pum section to drop dramatically... I wouldn't be too bothered apart from the tank has this little emergency inlet which is making me think that it is mostly pumping unfiltered water through the system

574234dc285c11c034cc4c1af3f1566a.jpg

If I pull the cartridge is it going to f my tank? If I duct tape the hole then I will have a dry pump in about 5 minutes...

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The liverock is going to do most of the filtration. Media is for polishing the water and extra help for the liverock so it'll be fine just feed lightly and watch test results go slow allowing the bacteria to grow accordingly. You can use reactors for media to remove excess nutrients from water. They're doing more then little filter pad can.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, patience is key in this hobby. Glad to see you are taking your time with it.

OP
OP
rus15.rb

rus15.rb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The liverock is going to do most of the filtration. Media is for polishing the water and extra help for the liverock so it'll be fine just feed lightly and watch test results go slow allowing the bacteria to grow accordingly. You can use reactors for media to remove excess nutrients from water. They're doing more then little filter pad can.
So I should take it out? What should I be feeding? I thought I just had to wait two weeks ammonia to start turning to nitrate?

OP
OP
rus15.rb

rus15.rb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been cycling for 2 weeks now. Ammonia has dropped to 0 ☺ got a really nice flow going through the system as well now. Just going to give it more time and waiting for payday so I can buy some bad butt lights and then I'll add some live stock.

OP
OP
rus15.rb

rus15.rb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
988a36ceeabf51a0f81741e891dee5c8.jpg

I did get some more rock before I said hello to my little critters.

I decided to remove the carbon and ceramic pads... I stuck a whole bunch of matrix media in the back of the tank (rear sump)

I hope you like the scape... I may change it around a Little before I get any fish.

OP
OP
rus15.rb

rus15.rb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I need some help or maybe just reassurance. Being a noon I tend to worry a bit.

My shrimp seem to be doing fine. In fact they have both molted in the last day. Which surprises me as I am not feeding the tank at all.

However my sand sifting snails are all very inactive and one has a habit of rolling on to his back and withdrawing in to his shell. I'm worried that means he is not well. This time he has not moved for 48 hours. And I turned him over yesterday but on waking up this morning he is back on his back in the same place and not moving. The other 2 are under the sand with their snorkels poking out but haven't really moved in a day or so. Is this OK or am I not giving them something they need?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back