New to the Reefing Hobby!

Cosmickirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the heavy research phase. I am looking to build a 55 to 70 Gallon reef aquarium with mainly soft coral and easy to maintain fish. I am trying to decide if I should purchase a Red Sea or Water Box all in one or one with a sump. There are so many options that I am frankly overwhelmed and don't know where to start. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

OP
OP
Cosmickirk

Cosmickirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! I would go with a sump instead of all in one for easier maintenance and more water volume.

welcome captain GIF
Thanks for the advice... I do feel that a sump is the way to go but I guess I have no idea how to successfully set one up. I see alot of You Tube videos showing large sumps with so much equipment like refugiums, algae, skimmers, pumps, heaters, ATO's and so many things to start off with that I keep going back to all in ones because of the simplicity like the Fluval Flex 32.5 gallon all in one. I am just wondering if a more inexpensive tank like this could create water issues and hurt the fish and coral.

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef. Plenty of guidance from the brain trust here. I think there are a few options to consider with your decision. A sump is gonna give you more water volume and be a bit more forgiving when it comes to parameters. The AIO is going to give you more form factor. For what it is worth I think the real option is which one you prefer. I started with a 65 gallon that has a sump and have found it to be a great tank. Plus having the sump makes it more flexible to add a refugium and protein skimmer. Good luck with your choice!
469478AF-BBD3-490F-A1D2-85B478F67098.gif

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back