Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you I have been heavy on the homework phase and moving into the final planning stages. For me I have limited options on where I can put my tank ad DIY stand. I did card board cutouts to see what looked best and fit the area. I currently trying to get the best use of space out of my stand so looking at options there as well.

Good luck on your build with whatever you decide.

OP
OP
Cosmickirk

Cosmickirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef. Plenty of guidance from the brain trust here. I think there are a few options to consider with your decision. A sump is gonna give you more water volume and be a bit more forgiving when it comes to parameters. The AIO is going to give you more form factor. For what it is worth I think the real option is which one you prefer. I started with a 65 gallon that has a sump and have found it to be a great tank. Plus having the sump makes it more flexible to add a refugium and protein skimmer. Good luck with your choice!
469478AF-BBD3-490F-A1D2-85B478F67098.gif
Thanks for the honest advice.... I am taking it slow and considering all the valuable opinions and experience from everyone in this tremendous forum!

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard!!

I would recommend talking to your local fish stores if you can and also finding a reef club near you (ask the local stores and search Facebook). Look for a used tank - you'll save a fortune and you'll probably upgrade in a year or two anyway once you figure out what works for you. I have run tanks with and without sumps and both have their benefits. Currently, since my tanks are upstairs and my last tank had issues with the sump overflowing, I run two AIO tanks and LOVE them.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the heavy research phase. I am looking to build a 55 to 70 Gallon reef aquarium with mainly soft coral and easy to maintain fish. I am trying to decide if I should purchase a Red Sea or Water Box all in one or one with a sump. There are so many options that I am frankly overwhelmed and don't know where to start. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome to the fishy family! There are plenty of pro's on both sides. Personally, I'd go with sump but that's just me. The availability of space and ability to grow will certainly factor into your decision. Best of luck!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun.. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back