New to the site

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm Brad and I'm back into the reef hobby. It's been many years, like 16 years since I broke my tank down.

Back in the day I had a beautiful reef tank going, I loved every bit of time I was able to spend tending to the tank. This is going back to not having a computer, cell phones really didn't have internet ect. yeah I'm old :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: but still kicking it and that's what counts!

I tore my tank down because of a move from one city to another, and tried to set everything up but within a year the system crashed. I don't know why but it did, I'm thinking it was the water I was using but it is what it is. Also I was running an Icecap ballast with VHO florescent and finding replacement tubes were extremely hard and exhausting.

Knowledge was hard and I did learn alot from a shop back in the day called Under The Ocean, they had a shop in Winnipeg MB but had to shut down. I then resorted to Reef keeping magazines for more knowledge and yes they were quite helpful.

I used Instant Ocean salt and also Seachem products which I had great success. Now I'm using Instant ocean reef salt and the tried and tested Seachem additives which I still believe is a great product. So far my tank is thriving and all in about 6 weeks.

My wife asked me, why don't you get back into your reef tank hobby and I said to her... Hunny do you know how old the system is and how much it'll cost to get it back into tip top shape??
Anyways not long after I thought I'd get on the web and see what they had for AIO systems and WOW I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Anyways I down sized from the stored away 60g to the new Fluval 13.5 Sea AIO system. At first it was a struggle cycling the tank, all because I did a huge mistake and used Distilled H20.

Once I found a water shop in town that has great RODI water and started doing water changes the cycle ramped up like crazy. Now I'm seeing stability!

In about 3 weeks running the nano tank I ditched the media filter Fluval included and opted into the In Tank chamber 2 insert. I use my own choice of media and the tank is rocking.
Some might ask why chamber 2 and not the #1 drop in. I am a firm believer in Protein skimmers and picked up the drop in Fluval skimmer, which I soon tossed into the parts bin. Useless skimmer that had constant issues leaking and such, it was just a bad manufactured one I received. Anyways I found the Bubble Magus mini Q and what a great skimmer!

Sorry for the long intro as I can tend to babble on :rolleyes:

Anyways just wanted to say Hi and I'm looking forward to hanging with you fellow reefers.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm Brad and I'm back into the reef hobby. It's been many years, like 16 years since I broke my tank down.

Back in the day I had a beautiful reef tank going, I loved every bit of time I was able to spend tending to the tank. This is going back to not having a computer, cell phones really didn't have internet ect. yeah I'm old :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: but still kicking it and that's what counts!

I tore my tank down because of a move from one city to another, and tried to set everything up but within a year the system crashed. I don't know why but it did, I'm thinking it was the water I was using but it is what it is. Also I was running an Icecap ballast with VHO florescent and finding replacement tubes were extremely hard and exhausting.

Knowledge was hard and I did learn alot from a shop back in the day called Under The Ocean, they had a shop in Winnipeg MB but had to shut down. I then resorted to Reef keeping magazines for more knowledge and yes they were quite helpful.

I used Instant Ocean salt and also Seachem products which I had great success. Now I'm using Instant ocean reef salt and the tried and tested Seachem additives which I still believe is a great product. So far my tank is thriving and all in about 6 weeks.

My wife asked me, why don't you get back into your reef tank hobby and I said to her... Hunny do you know how old the system is and how much it'll cost to get it back into tip top shape??
Anyways not long after I thought I'd get on the web and see what they had for AIO systems and WOW I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Anyways I down sized from the stored away 60g to the new Fluval 13.5 Sea AIO system. At first it was a struggle cycling the tank, all because I did a huge mistake and used Distilled H20.

Once I found a water shop in town that has great RODI water and started doing water changes the cycle ramped up like crazy. Now I'm seeing stability!

In about 3 weeks running the nano tank I ditched the media filter Fluval included and opted into the In Tank chamber 2 insert. I use my own choice of media and the tank is rocking.
Some might ask why chamber 2 and not the #1 drop in. I am a firm believer in Protein skimmers and picked up the drop in Fluval skimmer, which I soon tossed into the parts bin. Useless skimmer that had constant issues leaking and such, it was just a bad manufactured one I received. Anyways I found the Bubble Magus mini Q and what a great skimmer!

Anyways just wanted to say Hi and I'm looking forward to hanging with you fellow reefers.

Hi Brad, welcome aboard.

A lot has happened in 16 years in the hobby. Post some pictures of your setup!

And of course, if you have any questions, please ask. Lots of top notch people here to steer you in the right direction.

God luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome back. You’re probably gonna end up upgrading the fluval light too.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 120 81.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back