Nitrate problem

Nicks0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad has had an algae problem for the past month. Tried everything as far as we know. He added some nitrate reducer from Red Sea last night, and I just tested it 5 mins ago. Here's the current parameters:
Mg 1400
Ca 400
Alk 10.4
NO3 1.00
PO4 0.04

Why are nitrates so high? And how can we reduce it?

TonsOfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get a few more details on the tank? How old is it? Does it have a sump? Have you tried nitrate reducing filter pads? I've never tried it but I believe you can research vodka dosing to reduce nitrates. Hope this helps.

j3st3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.00 is not high for nitrates unless you meant 100. if he has algae then those numbers will not be accurate because the algae is using them both as a food/fuel source so they are actually higher than what your tests read. most common cause for high nitrates is over feeding and not doing water changes.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will fix ya right up. If you don't want to Carbon Dose, then trouble shoot your water issue. Do you feed every day? Try every other. How often do you do water changes? Are you running a mechanical filter? Running a Skimmer? How big? How much Liver Rock? How big of a tank?
Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

OP
OP
N

Nicks0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mac 8 skimmer, phosphate reactor, 120 gal, 15% weekly water change, estimate of 80lbs live rock, 1 year old, 15-20 gal sump, 100 micron filter sock, filter change weekly

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, theres a few things you can do. Up your % of Water Changes. Up your lbs of Live Rock, as this is what carries the majority of bacteria.
Carbon Dose, and forget about those other things

Last edited:

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to find the source wheter that be phosphates,overfeeding,skimmer issues etc. Most of the time i find that people overfeed there fish and corals which will cause high nitrates and algae problems. Keep doing your water changes and only feed your fish what they will consume in 3-4 minutes and never let the food hit the bottom.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are nitrates so high? And how can we reduce it?

From the numbers you posted Nitrates are not high so I wouldn't focus too hard on that. It's a symptom, not the problem, anyway. :)

To reduce the algae you have to reduce the things that it needs to grow which are food and light.

Of those, you probably have more control over the food but if you're over-lighting the tank (>8hrs and/or too many watts), reducing your lighting can help a lot too.

Reduce the number of fish if you aren't otherwise over-feeding.

Doing more frequent or larger water changes would help too if possible.

Last, either stop using the filter socks (my choice) or switch to mesh bags instead of felt. This will eliminate them as a contributor to the problem.

-Matt

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Toto851

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for asking! I have been fighting it and having to do major changes to reduce mine! I am just loving these forums more and more since I found it!!

I think, as i asked in another thread, that I have been overfeeding my fish. It seems to have helped reduce it! I was feeding twice a day, as my fish always begged for food when I walked by the tank.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Purigen and DeNitrate from Seachem. They're both adsorbers and seem to be helping.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

OP
OP
N

Nicks0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still want to know if he meant 1.00 or 100...
I meant 1.00 n the problem has been solved. Thanks to everyone for the advice. We aren't sure exactly what got rid of the algae, but we think that a little bit of everything contributed to controlling the algae.
Here's a list of the stuff we tried:
Purigen
Yellow tang
Mexican turbo snails, n a bunch of astrea/turbo snails
Scarlet/red tip hermit crabs
Sand sifting star (eaten by the hermits)
Lights out for 2 days and lowered light power
I feel like I'm forgetting something else...I'll find out 2mrw

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back