OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. Im not familiar with carbon dosing. Ill look up some articles on cadbon dosing. I do have a bit of carbon preinstalled in my filters. If that helps

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to dose anything to a smaller tank so don't worry! Maybe if your tank was way over stocked and you didn't do water changes!!

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer will stop the organics from causing nitrate from happening, but it will not remove nitrates. Once the nitrate is there you have to find a way to remove it. With the carbon dosing it will grow bacteria that bind with nitrate and are then skimmed out. Many people have suggested this to you because it would be very effective. Why do 50% water changes all the time when it can be more effective to carbon dose? It would be way cheaper to buy a gallon jug of vinegar for $3 instead of buying $20 bags of salt.

This goes for bigger tanks! And why in the world would you want to dose a tank that's cycling?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This goes for bigger tanks! And why in the world would you want to dose a tank that's cycling?

Because he has no efficient way for nutrient export. Carbon dosing can be utilized for any size tank.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you guys are confusing me

Sorry for the confusion!!! You don't need more than LR, flow and water changes for the size tank you have! Anyone else that says you do they don't know how to take care of a saltwater tank!!!!

Last edited:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the confusion!!! You don't need more than LR, flow and water changes for the size tank you have! Anyone else that says you do they don't know how to take care of a saltwater tank!!!!

Really? The only way to export nutrients on a small tank is to do water changes? You really want to make that claim? Obviously I know how to care for a saltwater tank, and nutrient removal seeing how I struggle very hard to have any detectable nitrate at all in my 29. Do I have to do weekly water changes? No, I have changed the water 2 times in the past 6 months! Be careful who you want to make allegations about because you have no idea at all someone elses abilities, knowledge, or experience. If you think the only way to remove nutrients in a small tank is to do water changes that reflects your ignorance on the topic.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current full tank shot of my 29. You can go ahead and base your opinion on that!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1399765068372.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399765068372.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 189

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current full tank shot of my 29. You can go ahead and base your opinion on that!

Looks very nice, but yes you don't need anything else but a water change every 2-4weeks to keep up with the essentials, no one said every week! And again why dose a cycling tank? Never answered that?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very nice, but yes you don't need anything else but a water change every 2-4weeks to keep up with the essentials, no one said every week! And again why dose a cycling tank? Never answered that?

Yes I answered that question. He has no way of effectively finishing the nitrificaction process where nitrate turns into nitrogen and oxygen. his tank obviously does not have the ability because he has changed probably 40 gallons of water and the nitrate is still around 100ppm. In my opinion the nutrients have been broken down as far as this setup will take it. What's going to happen when it's stocked with fish and cuc that skip the first part of the nitrificaction process and produce ammonia? The skimmer will not remove that and it will turn into nitrate once again. I'm trying to help this young hobbyist with a method that will be very effective at removing nitrate. With only live rock, a little crushed coral (that will hold detritus and cause issues itself), and a hob skimmer it will be necessary to implement some sort of nitrate removal. Sure, water changes can do it, lots and lots of them. With the investment and time put into doing these water changes it would be much easier to start carbon dosing instead. Not only will it remove the nitrate but it will also produce food for corals and other filter feeding organisms. He has all the equipment to carbon dose so why not take advantage of that and make life easier?

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I answered that question. He has no way of effectively finishing the nitrificaction process where nitrate turns into nitrogen and oxygen. his tank obviously does not have the ability because he has changed probably 40 gallons of water and the nitrate is still around 100ppm. In my opinion the nutrients have been broken down as far as this setup will take it. What's going to happen when it's stocked with fish and cuc that skip the first part of the nitrificaction process and produce ammonia? The skimmer will not remove that and it will turn into nitrate once again. I'm trying to help this young hobbyist with a method that will be very effective at removing nitrate. With only live rock, a little crushed coral (that will hold detritus and cause issues itself), and a hob skimmer it will be necessary to implement some sort of nitrate removal. Sure, water changes can do it, lots and lots of them. With the investment and time put into doing these water changes it would be much easier to start carbon dosing instead. Not only will it remove the nitrate but it will also produce food for corals and other filter feeding organisms. He has all the equipment to carbon dose so why not take advantage of that and make life easier?

Your last couple of sentences (Not only will it remove the nitrate but it will also produce food for corals and other filter feeding organisms) don't make sense? Filter feeders feed off just that, nitrates?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your last couple of sentences (Not only will it remove the nitrate but it will also produce food for corals and other filter feeding organisms) don't make sense? Filter feeders feed off just that, nitrates?

Ok, carbon dosing works because it grows bacteria. The bacteria then binds with the nitrate, which is consumed by corals, filter feeders and/or skimmed out

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow lol you guys

I'm sorry if that trashed the thread. Back to the topic....

Finding an effective way to remove nitrate is the goal here. I believe the easiest way to do that is to dose vinegar. Start with about 0.5ml vinegar every day and see where that gets you. I'm sure you will see a reduction in nitrate quickly, and maybe in a week see where you're at and increase the dose until you get them to where you want to be.

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm mixing some salt in some buckets and I'm going to do about a 40% water change (I don't have enough buckets for anything bigger) And then also today I'm going to stop by the LFS and get some more cured live rock. Right now I have about 29 pounds or so in the tank and it probably isn't enough. So I'm going to buy another 2 pounds of cured rock today. I also have 2 pounds of dry rock here at the house I need to somehow clean/cure for introduction into my tank. So what's a good way to clean these rocks so I can get them in the tank?

Plan for today:
40% Water Change
Vacuum/Siphon all the crushed coral of debris
Take my powerhead and blow off all the rock and substrate
Empty brown water from the skimmer
If my nitrates come down any, I may grab a few snails/crabs from LFS to see if they survive
Introduce 2 pounds of cured LR from LFS
(I'm also debating on dosing my tank with Instant Ocean Natural Nitrate Reducer which is supposed to help, advised by LFS)
I may also buy some vinegar to dose

The latest batch of dry rock in my tank is probably about a month in maturity and it can take up to 8 weeks so 1/2 of my rock may not be completely cycled. Thgere are still brown diatoms/algae in the tank and pods/flatworms (whichever) on the glass.

Looking at my plan of action, do any of you see anything wrong? That I should or shouldn't be doing?

That's my plan.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back