Nitrates still 160 ppm

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it from LFS so it was cured for sure. As far as the HOB filter I have a Marineland Penguin 350 and it uses two cartridges with carbon preinstalled. I change them out every 3 weeks or so. I have a Octopus Skimmer coming in on delivery this monday. I'll have to empty 50% of my tank and move it out from the wall in order to install it because as of now, the skimmer won't fit with only 3" of space between the tank and wall.
You stated above you got it from BRS????????

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the dry rock from bulk reef supply, yeah. The rock from lfs was indeed wet lol but just a few lr would cause those nitrates?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Live Rock dries out in any fashion shape or form, it dies, and this die off creates ammonia, which in turn creates Nitrites, which in turn creates Nitrates.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gemini, please clarify - your rock was dry that you got from BRS - correct? the live rock was a few pounds from your LFS (like 3 lbs. I think you mentioned) that went right into your tank, correct? how long since your tank has been set up with the live rock/dry rock and saltwater?

Barky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Normal cycle time of Live Rock that isn't Fully Cured, is 6-8 weeks. You need to be patient. You can't add anything to the tank until the cycle is over or you risk killing it.
You started the thread 4/20 and said your tank has been up about a month, as quoted here be patient and leave the tank alone you are only into cycling 5 weeks. you will find out in this hobby you cant rush it, if you do you are killing animals and throwing away your money. your tank will come around in time.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if his tank is indeed still cycling - he will need to do something to export his nitrates - I'm just not convinced that his nitrate reading is correct - it doesn't make sense to me. He has gone through the ammonia/nitrite portion with nitrates continuing to rise - so it sounds like it's cycled but the nitrates are very high. what will leaving it alone do? won't the nitrates continue to rise with no intervention?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if his tank is indeed still cycling - he will need to do something to export his nitrates - I'm just not convinced that his nitrate reading is correct - it doesn't make sense to me. He has gone through the ammonia/nitrite portion with nitrates continuing to rise - so it sounds like it's cycled but the nitrates are very high. what will leaving it alone do? won't the nitrates continue to rise with no intervention?

The last part of the cycle is when nitrate breaks down turning into nitrogen and oxygen and is expelled as gas. I have been following this thread and it really seems like this tank is not breaking down any nitrates. Live rock alone normally does not have much anaeraboic area where the nitrate will be processed. A skimmer will keep nutrients from happening in the first place, but they don't remove nitrate. I suggested long ago the use of a dsb to have the anaerobic zone where the bacteria which process the nitrate to colonize, but the OP decided on a different route. Once the skimmer arrives he can utilize carbon dosing as a nitrate removal method. It should be very effective, but I do not see this setup ever being weaned off carbon dosing.

Barky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the water changes you have been doing with store purchased ro di water have you tested the level for nitrates before adding it to the tank?

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last part of the cycle is when nitrate breaks down turning into nitrogen and oxygen and is expelled as gas. I have been following this thread and it really seems like this tank is not breaking down any nitrates. Live rock alone normally does not have much anaeraboic area where the nitrate will be processed. A skimmer will keep nutrients from happening in the first place, but they don't remove nitrate. I suggested long ago the use of a dsb to have the anaerobic zone where the bacteria which process the nitrate to colonize, but the OP decided on a different route. Once the skimmer arrives he can utilize carbon dosing as a nitrate removal method. It should be very effective, but I do not see this setup ever being weaned off carbon dosing.

don't you find that odd given the age of the tank??

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill check when I get home to see exactly how old the tank is. The rock... i have 24 pounds of Dry rock from Brs and 3 pounds of live rock straight from lfs, cured and transported to my home wet with no die off. Ammonia and nitrite levels are 0. I tested the store bought rodi and read it as 0 nitrite ammonia and nitrates. I take water samples to lfs weekly and he has the same results as me. @pete- sorry I don't intend to ignore you. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed. Refresh me please. What is a "dsb"?

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably just need to be patient and let the rock develop. As stated, it doesnt seem like they are at a point where they can lower nitrates

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with crushed coral, most of our sand is crushed coral. Just different grain sizes. Most of our sand is from calcium-based materials.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have a sand-less bed but still find your self syphoning out LS. Just happens

Barky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have crushed coral. I am planning on ordering some sand tho to replace the crushed coral.
keep in mind if you go with sand how strong are your power heads? If you want sps you will need alot of current and that will create a snow storm.

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tank specs and dates.

It's a 30g tank. I first started the tank (put in crushed coral and water) on 3/21/14. Put in 3 pounds of Live Rock on 3/23/14 and I added 13 pounds of dry rock from BRS on 3/27/14. Put it straight into tank after a quick rinse. (Note the quick rinse part) . On about 4/11/14, I added another 12 pounds of dry rock from brs and again placed it right in the tank with a quick rinse. At that time, I also added a Maxi Jet 400 for circulation. I have had carbon media filters installed on my HOB filter since day 1.

I never saw my ammonia spike much above .50. On the first order of dry rock, on 3/27, I also added a shrimp to the tank to rot. First noticed diatoms on 4/21.

Those dates are accurate because I looked up my dry rock orders on brs and some diary entries on an aquarium blog online. So with all that said, maybe you have some information as to where my tank is at in it's cycle. When adding the 2nd batch of dirty dry rock on 4/11, isn't possible I have restarted another cycle? I did see a nitrite spike at that time that lasted about 3 days. Ammonia, however, never spiked above .50 according to my test kit. Also of importance, that when I initiall filled the tank, I used spring water from down the road here. I tested the spring water and it contained no ammonia nitrites, and about 20ppm nitrates. However, I have done quite a number of water changes so all that spring water is probably completely diluted down and exported with the store bought rodi.

Hope this info has helped. On an added note, althought my diatoms continue to spread to other areas and rocks in the tank, the first rocks which saw the diatoms is developing bald spots. As if the diatoms are dying off. No cyno yet. Also, there are a few rocks in the aquarium which don't seem to be developing any diatoms at all. Sorry for the long post. It may help tho.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't you find that odd given the age of the tank??

Yep... Something is going on here that's not normal. Even without any adequate nitrate removal there should have been a reduction with all the water changes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back