Nitrates still 160 ppm

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have crushed coral. I am planning on ordering some sand tho to replace the crushed coral.

This is one way, but you have a skimmer on the way right? Once the skimmer comes in you may start carbon dosing to consume the nitrates. Whether it be vodka, vinegar or pellets it will work to remove the nitrate.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the one thing that kind of makes sense now is that if the op was using spring water high in nitrates, perhaps the rock absorbed this from the water column and that's why they are staying high, it's in the rock now ?? I agree with Pete above, regardless of the reason, you're going to need to do something more aggressive than water changes at this point, like carbon dosing. Hooking up your skimmer will also help in the long run too.

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what came today. My octopus and 2 more pounds of rock. A pukani and multibranch. The multi branch is larger than expected. I thought I would have several small pieces but its just one big piece.

uploadfromtaptalk1399320392020.jpg

Now about the new dry rock... I dont want to put it straight in the tank without making sure its clean first. What should I do? Bleach?

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might hold off on adding new rock until your get your nitrates down. I think if you wash it well, once the tank's parameters are good, you can put it in.....Get that skimmer up and running :)

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I'm a little confused here. I'm about to put on this skimmer but I need to move my tank back from the wall some (if I can). In order to do this, I need to drain some of the water. What I'm confused about, is the water changes. I've read 2 different things regarding water changes. The last order of dry rock was added 4/11. So should I be doing my normal 20% weekly water change or hold off on it? Since I'm taking water out of the tank to move it forward some, should I go ahead and do my water change? Or if it's still cycling, should I leave it be and put the old water back in?

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, and since my rock is apparantly still cycling, how long should I run my skimmer at a time? leave it on and running 24/7?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do a wc then go ahead, it's not like you have a lack of nitrate.

Yes you will want to run the skimmer at all times.

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heatinf and mixing water now. Gonna drain this out, mive the tank out some and install thia goofing looking contraption. .. and hope I put it together right haha

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 20% water change yesterday and added my skimmer. Tested nitrates today and still pretty high. Looks to be around 80ppm. The skimmer doesn't appear to be removing anything yet but I guess it's still breaking in. I'll do another 20% water change at the end of the week. Friday maybe. It LOOKS like my diatoms are starting to go away, but they aren't turning color like the guide said would happen. I read the beginners guide to saltwater aquariums here in the forum and it said the diatoms would change colors, normally red. But they aren't changing. Just looks like they are starting to disappear.... Of course, I've moved around some of the rock so that may be part of it...

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good gemini! it will take a period of time (a few days) for the skimmer to break in....

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget your nitrates won't go anywhere till you take them out. Just do a huge water change, get your nitrates down to a big 0.
See where it gets you. By the nitrates in your tank your cycled. It's all been converted to it final stage of the cycle (ammonia-nitrite-nitrate) and unless you have a tank full of filter feeders your nitrates won't be consumed

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 20 percent wc monday a and bought 15 gallons of rodi water for a 50 percent wc tomorrow. My skimmer is installed as well so hopefully this works.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In one of your posts you said you where back to 80ppm in nitrates. Just to make the math easier, a 50% wc would bring you down to maybe 40ppm.
I don't think a 20% water change will help you to much

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think carbon dosing is the remedy. Vinegar is less touchy than vodka from what I understand. I have never carbon dosed before though. I have read up on it, and my 40 has a reactor with biopellets in standby in the case that ever becomes necessary. To tell you the truth, I hope that day comes. I plan on stocking very heavy :D

The reason I think carbon dosing is the answer is because (as I previously stated) this system really has no way of metabolizing nitrate. In time it may be weaned off the dosing, but I kinda doubt it. If it is possible it will be from the skimmer removing all the protein before it can turn into nitrate. If it gets stocked heavily the skimmer can't remove the ammonia produced by the livestock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said my setup has no way to metabolize the nitrates. What do I nees to do to get the systwm set up to help remove them? What do you mean?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing you have in there that will process nitrate is your rock. Rock isn't the best at removing nitrate.

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my skimmer now. What else can I put in to help with nitrates? Im not gonna have to so a 50 percent wc every week am I? I dont even have fish yet lol boy will I be in trouble

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer will stop the organics from causing nitrate from happening, but it will not remove nitrates. Once the nitrate is there you have to find a way to remove it. With the carbon dosing it will grow bacteria that bind with nitrate and are then skimmed out. Many people have suggested this to you because it would be very effective. Why do 50% water changes all the time when it can be more effective to carbon dose? It would be way cheaper to buy a gallon jug of vinegar for $3 instead of buying $20 bags of salt.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back