Nitrates

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
So, what’s the difference between say 1 and 10ppm nitrates?
I mean, for keeping corals is 1 too low or doesn’t it make any difference if it’s 10? It’s still available isn’t it?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned having only 1 nitrate. Hitting zero is not a good thing as nitrate serves as food for corals and well as can bring on dinos.

Anything other than that will be decided by your tank and the response given. The rest is just chasing numbers.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you missed the point, I’ll try again another way…

Nitrate ( as said) is food so as long as there is some does it matter how much ( by a number) is enough ?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nitrate ( as said) is food so as long as there is some does it matter how much ( by a number) is enough ?
Nitrate is our only means of measuring nitrogen which the corals use not really nitrates. That’s my understanding anyways lol. so if you’re showing some that’s a good thing! Bottoming out will feed the Dino’s to over take the good things in our tanks.

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal experience with my lps and softie dominated tank is that I don't want it dropping below 12. I try to manage it around 15 by tuning my refugium light.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using, can it resolve 1 ppm nitrate? Or can the actual be 0 or 3 ppm?
If a hypothetical question (actual 1 vs 10ppm), some corals do better with more nitrate than 1 ppm.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes... it does. We measure nitrate in ppm (parts per million) so, if you only have 1ppm, 0.0001% of the water has nitrates. That is very little and not sufficient enough for corals. On the other hand, if you have 10ppm, 0.001% of the water is nitrates. So, it may not seem like a big difference, but it is. If on your plate when you were starving, if you had a little food would that be sufficient? In most cases, no. Youd need more food. Hope that helps.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between 1 ppm nitrates and 10 ppm nitrates is 9 ppm nitrates. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

More usefully, yes, there is a difference. Corals are simple animals, meaning that most of their biological processes happen via simple mechanics like diffusion. Diffusion relies on relative concentration, and the higher the concentration of the desired substance in your source material, the more and faster it will diffuse into your target.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always good to remember that test kits have a error range and that there is also the chance of error on the human side of things that could throw it off a few ppm.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals do not need any detectable levels of nitrate IF they have other adequate sources of N, such as ammonia or organics (dissolved or particulate) such as in the ocean.

But since we often cannot ensure these others are in adequate supply, having at least 2-3 ppm nitrate ensures there is adequate N.

I generally recommend 2-10 ppm nitrate with values above that range better than below it. Some great tanks can have as much as 100 ppm nitrate.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
So, what’s the difference between say 1 and 10ppm nitrates?
I mean, for keeping corals is 1 too low or doesn’t it make any difference if it’s 10? It’s still available isn’t it?
Mine stays between 10 and 20 ppm. It is also about the balance / ratio with phosphate. It should be roughly 10:1. So if your nitrates are at 10, then your phosphate should be at .1

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear about this ratio but it’s impossible to maintain
I’m currently at 3 and 0.1

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back