Nova Extreme T5HO Question

Onyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
So here is the situation. A couple months ago I purchased a 48" Nova Extreme T5HO 4 bulb unit from DrsFosterSmith to fit over my 55 gallon tank. This fixture is 216 watts and is the model that has 4 lunar lights sticking out of the single German parabolic reflector. I really like it but, after some research, really wish I had bought the PRO version for the individual reflectors.

Anyways, I recently noticed that Current USA has a Nova Extreme SLR fixture that appears to be identical to mine except it has contoured individual reflectors and lacks moon lights.

Would there be any forseeable problems of ordering just the indivudual reflectors from the SLR unit (pretty sure I can get one, have special ordered their parts before through online retailers) and putting it into my fixture? I imagine I would have to carefully cut holes in the new reflector so the lunar lights would still be finctional but that wouldn't be too bad (or just not use them at all).

So, can anyone think of any possible downsides of attempting this? The thought of doing this just came to me and I wanted to see if anyone had any insight on this process or any deeper knowledge of this fixture in general. I am hoping to keep several of the "less light demanding" SPS corals soon and feel that the indivual reflectors would give me a little more variety when choosing.

Thank you very much for your time and any help you can give me,
Mike.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The individual reflectors do help.
If the dimensions of the fixtures are the same you should be able to swap the reflectors. As with any DIY a good dremel and knowledge of electronics will help. The dremel is incase you need to modify for a better fit.

OP
OP
Onyx

Onyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr.Firemouth
Thanks for the dremmel idea.

Triggerfreak
I haven't found a good link but a friend told me that the "slr" version is just the "improved" regular one with individual reflectors. The Current-USA site, under the "Nova Extreme T5HO" tab, has a little note specifying that they all now have individual reflectors to increase intensity. I just assumed that my fixture with the lunars and single parabolic reflector was an older model and their newer version swapped out the lunar lights for single lamp reflectors (I could be mistaken). Additionally, drsfostersmith.com has an SLR version that boasts individual reflectors but it lacks a cooling fan. Sorry I don't have more info.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back