NYOS quantum 120 woes

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After bashing the quality of the bubble magus last week(albeit with the caveat that's it's a cheaper unit so you get what you pay for) I received my shiny new NYOS.
After the initial break in period I've literally spent hours tuning this thing to what I perceived the perfect dry skim, only to find after a couple hours perfect skimmage-its filled the cup overnight and is a bubbling inferno.
I've tried every combination of height, air, water height etc etc.
Am I missing something or are they always this finicky?!
Currently running well but if it does it again I'll strongly consider fleabaying it & grabbing a trusty old deltec 400i

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (now) two Quantum 160s running on my tank and they're absolutely awesome once you fine-tune them. Remember that there are three adjustments that make all the difference:

• The water level control tube should be twisted so the water opening at the bottom lines up with the opening on the skimmer body.
• The water level control dial should be opened so the tube raises all the way to the top.
• The air adjustment screw should be closed (initially).

Without any bubbles, adjust the water level control dial (±) until the water is about 2-2.5" below the bottom of the collection cup. Then slowly open the air adjustment screw. The white foam shouldn't be rising above the bottom of the collection cup unless you want really wet skim.

Don't forget that Nyos skimmers are also ozone-compatible if you ever decide to run ozone.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have (now) two Quantum 160s running on my tank and they're absolutely awesome once you fine-tune them. Remember that there are three adjustments that make all the difference:

• The water level control tube should be twisted so the water opening at the bottom lines up with the opening on the skimmer body.
• The water level control dial should be opened so the tube raises all the way to the top.

Without any bubbles, adjust the water level control dial (±) until the water is about 2-2.5" below the bottom of the collection cup. Then slowly open the air adjustment screw. The white foam shouldn't be rising above the bottom of the collection cup unless you want really wet skim.

Don't forget that Nyos skimmers are also ozone-compatible if you ever decide to run ozone.
These are not 12v right?

OP
OP
Aquariumaddictuk

Aquariumaddictuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks I'll give this a go as a starting point.frustrating as it's a fantastic unit when running correctly.brilliant build quality too!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I'll give this a go as a starting point.frustrating as it's a fantastic unit when running correctly.brilliant build quality too!
Once you open it up completely and line up the opening for the water in the control tube, it changes everything. The key is getting the water level set in the skimmer - then you can just add air.

Btw, I replaced the grey/black nylon air screw with a titanium one off Amazon. There's no salt/etc. buildup to potentially close it and this makes the skimmer 100% ozone compatible.

OP
OP
Aquariumaddictuk

Aquariumaddictuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you open it up completely and line up the opening for the water in the control tube, it changes everything. The key is getting the water level set in the skimmer - then you can just add air.

Btw, I replaced the grey/black nylon air screw with a titanium one off Amazon. There's no salt/etc. buildup to potentially close it and this makes the skimmer 100% ozone compatible.
Many thanks for the tips.its skimming like a beast now :)

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To add to this, add Teflon (white for normal yellow for ozone) tape to your screw to give it a bit more positive friction.

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, sorry for hijacking this: How is your experience with longevity of these skimmers? I can get a 120 for quite cheap, but it's 3-4 years old. Would you take the risk or stay away?

OP
OP
Aquariumaddictuk

Aquariumaddictuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, sorry for hijacking this: How is your experience with longevity of these skimmers? I can get a 120 for quite cheap, but it's 3-4 years old. Would you take the risk or stay away?
As for longevity I can't really comment but I haven't heard anything bad regarding reliability.once I dialled mine in Its been running perfectly for nearly 3 months

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 191 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back