OK so what is stopping you installing an Algae Turf Scrubber on your system?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple enough question really, so are you not convinced by them, too expensive, don't understand them, can't fit one or some other reason?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost, cheato, MarinePure, Phosphate RX, low phosphates, huge skimmer,

technojunky101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started one but have major reservations on if I'm making a mistake spent hours online reading posts and everything is so back and forth anyone use them for 5 Years plus reply. Biggest worry is that it will spread to dt also nutrient import export. Scrubber will take nutrients out but also put them back in also some say it is harmful to sps. So to cut down on theory and people's feelings long time users should respond plz.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started one but have major reservations on if I'm making a mistake spent hours online reading posts and everything is so back and forth anyone use them for 5 Years plus reply. Biggest worry is that it will spread to dt also nutrient import export. Scrubber will take nutrients out but also put them back in also some say it is harmful to sps. So to cut down on theory and people's feelings long time users should respond plz.
Not exactly long term but been running ATSs for 2 years with nothing but good results. I am on my 5th ATS and have had a Santa Monica HOG2 and Surf2, 2 X DIY waterfall type scrubbers. My current ATS is a Seabreeze waterfall ATS. All have worked well for me. My Seabreeze I only set up 10 days ago and it is already growing GHA growing on the screen.
20170117_124550.jpeg
20170117_124537.jpeg
20170110_202020.jpeg

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been running my diy scrubber for about 2 weeks now and has been doing fine during my break in. I've seen people on YouTube with 100+ gallon systems run ats systems and their tank looks beautiful and low maintinence. Seems to be more pros than cons and ill most likely always have one in my sump
20170118_170748.jpeg

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefNo0ob, where did you get those light fixtures?
Menards next to the metal clamp on ones. The were about $13 each i believe and i took the bowl off of the light because thwy both wouldnt fit next to each other. The bulbs are feit led grow bulbs also at menards and are for hydroponic systems

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo, oversized skimmer, uv, feeding habits and maintenance schedule.

johnlicht46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend installed a diy scrubber on his tank. Ran it for a while with success. Then his sps started to die off. Removed the scrubber nd sps r bouncing back. He thinks it made his tank "too clean"

Bassett22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just not necessary for my setup. Vodka dose and a big skimmer does just fine. In the future when I setup a basement sump I will have a large display fuge, but even that will be more for pod farming and some fuge specific animals (seahorses or something?)

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting topic.

For me, it has basically been trying to figure out where to put it, as my fuge takes up a large percentage of my cabinet, and I have no basement / fish room. That, and concern about sound from falling / splashing water... My aquarium sits in my living / dining room, and I work to keep waterfall type noises to a minimum.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on how you want to run your system and what your husbandry practices are. I feed heavy to my tank and I don't want to fight algae issues in my tank. I do run an oversized skimmer, BP reactor, carbon, and a fuge full of macro algae. I hope to replace some of these mechanical systems with just my L4 scrubber. We'll see but that's the plan:)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would vote most don't understand them. I have to admit I didn't really until a couple years ago.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back