Oxolinic Acid

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what the in tank treatment instructions are for oxolinic acid?

That is one of the quinolones. I haven't used it since the 1980's, back then, we used it in a powerful "cocktail" with nalidixic acid to try and treat some nasty bacterial infections in FW fish coming out of Hong Kong. There is some suggestion that like tetracycline, hard water (including marine aquariums) reduces its effectiveness.

That said, I looked it up in Noga's formulary - but the dose is all over the place, because in seawater, a higher dose is needed. 38 mg/gallon is the 24 hour dose for FW. There is another reference to using 760 mg/gallon for three days in coldwater marine systems. That is a HUGE variation!

What are you trying to treat? There may be a better alternative.

Jay

OP
OP
jduong916

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one of the quinolones. I haven't used it since the 1980's, back then, we used it in a powerful "cocktail" with nalidixic acid to try and treat some nasty bacterial infections in FW fish coming out of Hong Kong. There is some suggestion that like tetracycline, hard water (including marine aquariums) reduces its effectiveness.

That said, I looked it up in Noga's formulary - but the dose is all over the place, because in seawater, a higher dose is needed. 38 mg/gallon is the 24 hour dose for FW. There is another reference to using 760 mg/gallon for three days in coldwater marine systems. That is a HUGE variation!

What are you trying to treat? There may be a better alternative.

Jay
Oh it wasnt for fish, it was for corals. I know people are experimenting with the stuff but everyone seems tight lipped. Think julian sprung and some other folks are experimenting and going to publish something on it.

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can talk about it openly since I successfully beat it, but it resulted in a complete restart after all was said and done. I lost a massive high end SPS collection in the process.

I ended up dosing a concoction of cipro at 12.5 g/gallon, amoxicillin at 500 mg/50 gallons, and doxy at 250 mg/50 gallons, for 7 days. I ended up nuking the tank and killing ALL of my SPS, some LPS survived (Hammers, Torches, Mushrooms), all fish survived, tank turned red (l knew you couldn't use blue lights with doxy, what I didn't realize is Radion white lights are actually blue lights with filters!!)...so I'd keep lights off for treatment. The good news is when I then retested via Aquabiomics, all 3 strains of SCTLD I had were 100% gone. I'm sure there's a middle ground of successful antibiotic treatment vs complete nuking, the good/reassuring news is we now know eradication is possible. The bad news is at what dosage and combo will kill it but allow SPS life to survive...

SCTLD is brutal and I'm convinced more prevalent than we recognize in the hobby, but few if any run the Aquabiomics test to know for certain, and rather just assume it's one of 100 other variables that can be impacting SPS growth...

OP
OP
jduong916

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the recipe. 1/2 gram of oxolinic acid per 10 gallons of tank volume, mix with ro and dump it in your tank. Turn off skimmer, ozone, carbon and uv for a day. Second day turn back on your filtration. Repeat the process 2 more times. Total of three treatment.

Im just following one post i found, so my instructions are based off that. I’m about to do the second dose today. I dont have a major problem in my tank i just notice a few acros not looking right. The growth bases on a lot of my acros are white and some bases have turned brown and stopped growing. My acros have been sliming a bit (messentral filaments maybe) at the tips the last few weeks and this has totally stopped after the first dose. So things seem promising.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the recipe. 1/2 gram of oxolinic acid per 10 gallons of tank volume, mix with ro and dump it in your tank. Turn off skimmer, ozone, carbon and uv for a day. Second day turn back on your filtration. Repeat the process 2 more times. Total of three treatment.

Im just following one post i found, so my instructions are based off that. I’m about to do the second dose today. I dont have a major problem in my tank i just notice a few acros not looking right. The growth bases on a lot of my acros are white and some bases have turned brown and stopped growing. My acros have been sliming a bit (messentral filaments maybe) at the tips the last few weeks and this has totally stopped after the first dose. So things seem promising.
What’s the frequency of the repeat doses? Every other day? Once a week?

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here try this method with success? What were the affects on other inhabitants?

reefcam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 doses. After each dose rest for one day and turn on filtration (skimmer, uv, carbon, ozone, etc).
I was wondering the reason for turning off UV? I understand the others as you don't want it to be filtered out of the water, but UV kills stuff.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t realize people were seeing this on their aquariums.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 doses. After each dose rest for one day and turn on filtration (skimmer, uv, carbon, ozone, etc).
SCTLD just may be what I have been dealing with and why I’ve never been able to keep any form of SPS. My torches and gonis do fine although they don’t seem to grow.
At any rate, the instructions above are a little unclear. After dosing OA and turning off skimmer, UV, etc for a day, when those are turned back on, how long are they left on before dosing and turning off again? Another day?

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCTLD just may be what I have been dealing with and why I’ve never been able to keep any form of SPS. My torches and gonis do fine although they don’t seem to grow.
At any rate, the instructions above are a little unclear. After dosing OA and turning off skimmer, UV, etc for a day, when those are turned back on, how long are they left on before dosing and turning off again? Another day?
It varies, but I did my three doses about three days a part.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has there even been any scientific literature proving that SCTLD is 1 single thing?
from what i remember reading about it all is that its more a set of symptoms than an actual known disease, and therefore, in my mind, it could be multiple different issues /causes that result in the same end effect. just curious.
@Jay Hemdal

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can talk about it openly since I successfully beat it, but it resulted in a complete restart after all was said and done. I lost a massive high end SPS collection in the process.

I ended up dosing a concoction of cipro at 12.5 g/gallon, amoxicillin at 500 mg/50 gallons, and doxy at 250 mg/50 gallons, for 7 days. I ended up nuking the tank and killing ALL of my SPS, some LPS survived (Hammers, Torches, Mushrooms), all fish survived, tank turned red (l knew you couldn't use blue lights with doxy, what I didn't realize is Radion white lights are actually blue lights with filters!!)...so I'd keep lights off for treatment. The good news is when I then retested via Aquabiomics, all 3 strains of SCTLD I had were 100% gone. I'm sure there's a middle ground of successful antibiotic treatment vs complete nuking, the good/reassuring news is we now know eradication is possible. The bad news is at what dosage and combo will kill it but allow SPS life to survive...

SCTLD is brutal and I'm convinced more prevalent than we recognize in the hobby, but few if any run the Aquabiomics test to know for certain, and rather just assume it's one of 100 other variables that can be impacting SPS growth...
AB tests are not 100% accurate and can vary WIDELY from test to test.... i had 2 totally different results from the same sample I sent in. i dunno if its a problem with possible post sample contamination or if its a lab issue, but when the same water comes back saying 2 totally different results, which do you trust?
that area of study is WAYYYY too new and underdeveloped to actually be of any real use IMO. take all those tests with a big grain of salt

Reef Cloverson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering the reason for turning off UV? I understand the others as you don't want it to be filtered out of the water, but UV kills stuff.
Most medicines are vulnerable to photodegradation. Meaning they are sensitive to light and break down after being exposed to UV radiation.

jlitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any update on how this turned out?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back