Oxydators and their fight against parasites.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - an Oxydator uses a catylist to convert Hydrogen Peroxide to oxygen.

Water quality goes up tremendously with an Oxydator. The Oxydator's oxidizing capacity will improve your water quality and many harmful contaminants in your water will be neutralized. Oxydator’s are also an aid to fighting algae problems.
By the way - the statements above are directly what I have learned from you @atoll !!!

I really should be giving you ALL the credit and the reference for all my Oxydator statements here on R2R!

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way - the statements above are directly what I have learned from you @atoll !!!

I really should be giving you ALL the credit and the reference for all my Oxydator statements here on R2R!
Na it's OK. I have bored many to death both on here, other US and a well known UK forum. I have been banging on about Oxydators so more years than many people have been on this earth. lol.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone recently asked me in DMs what that weird cyclinder was in my tank. The magic bubbly thing?

It's better if I just quote @atoll

Oxydator’s: What are they how do they work and what benefits do they bring.

I have been using Oxydator’s for many years with great results in my marine tanks. They are powered by Hydrogen peroxide and help to eliminate and keep at bay cyno. An Oxydator will elevate the oxygen of the aquarium water reducing stress and aiding water quality. A number of Seahorse breeders both home and commercial employ them in their systems and have found they help with the survival rate of Seahorse fry.

Oxydator’s have been used in Europe for many years in freshwater aquariums. The peroxide is not administered directly into the tank (and so is far safer) but uses a catalyst to break the hydrogen peroxide down in activated oxygen and water. The process increases redox and helps cleans the aquarium water and keep it gin clear eliminating any yellowing. The effect in many ways is similar to ozone but no electricity is used as the Oxydator is self-powering.

I have introduced many reefers in the UK, USA and other countries to the virtues and use of Oxydator’s over the years as little appeared to be known about them.

Due to the Oxydator's oxidizing capacity, your water quality will be improved and many harmful contaminants in your water will be neutralized. Oxydator’s are also an aid to fighting algae problems.

The benefits of adding hydrogen peroxide to an aquarium in cases of acute oxygen deficiency, water putrefaction and water turbidity, spawn fungus, or for enriching the well-being of your fish have been known for a long time.

Söchting Oxydator’s breaks the Hydrogen peroxide down into oxygen (O2) and water (H2O).

The advantage: Your aquarium's water quality will be fundamentally improved and problems such as those aforementioned will be greatly hindered.

The Söchting Oxydator breaks down hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen:2 H2O2 ----------------------------> 2 H2O + O2

My Oxydator is situated in the rear RH side of the tank almost out of view however it could just as easily be put in one of the rear filter chambers.

using the catalyst the peroxide is broken down in the Oxydator and defuses out through a pin hole under the bell housing. Only pure oxygen and water are released nothing else and no peroxide directly enters the aquarium etc..

When in use you might just be able to see some microscopic oxygen bubbles leaving the reactor for a little while while it settles down. Some of the bubbles are so small that they don't tend to rise but leave the Oxydator and drift horizontally in the water column.

I have never witnessed any adverse effects from these bubbles on any of my corals or fish. The appearance of these fine bubbles happens mainly after first introducing the Oxydator and after each refilling. From time to time larger bubbles are released esp after filling and introduction, again these are of no concern or danger. More info here.http://www.oxydator.de/english/soechting_oxydators.htmlThis is a quote from Dan Underwood, owner and operations of seahorsesource.com.

"As mentioned above, the Oxydators work by the catalyst reacting with the peroxide. This releases the gas inside the device and the gas O2 rises. As it expands. Using the recommend size Oxydator and the recommended solution, I have not been able to get a peroxide reading in a tank. When I have increased the strength several times that of the recommendation, I did get peroxide readings.

I too have done peroxide dosing on tanks. Even when dosing 5 to 10 mg/L daily, I have found the Oxydator’s worked better. My guess is because they are constantly working in a slow regulated way”

There are 4 Oxydator’s in the range the Mini, D, A and W. Note the “W” version is very large and only recommended for ponds and large systems.

MODEL SPECIFICATIONS FROM THE OXYDATOR WEB SITE. Mini D AHeight. 6cm 8.5cm 18cmDiameter 4cm 8.5cm 9cmAquarium size up to 30Ltrs 100Ltrs 400LtrsPeroxide lasting Approx 4weeks 2 -4weeks 2 to 8 weeks Each model comes with its own catalysts one each for the mini and “D” models 2 with the “A” model. More catalysts can be bought if needed but they are everlasting more or less. Up to 11% food grade hydrogen peroxide can be bought via the net in various quantities inc eBay (UK). If buying 11% then you can dilute it using RO water almost doubling the initial quantity which is very cost effective, Finally Just how long the peroxide last is influenced by a number of factors esp temperature and number of catalysts used as in the “A” model which comes with 2.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Na it's OK. I have bored many to death both on here, other US and a well known UK forum. I have been banging on about Oxydators so more years than many people have been on this earth. lol.
@atoll - A really big thank you for all your information on Oxydators! Based on all your information, I started my Oxydator in May and Can’t believe the improvement in water quality, elimination of bad algae, and happy & healthy fish.

Thank you again and happy holidays to you and your family!

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! Does this then help lower nitrates?
Nope. It will help nullify ammonia by turning it into nitrate.
@atoll - A really big thank you for all your information on Oxydators! Based on all your information, I started my Oxydator in May and Can’t believe the improvement in water quality, elimination of bad algae, and happy & healthy fish.

Thank you again and happy holidays to you and your family!
I don't pretend an Oxydator will cure undesirable algae but that it is an aid in doing so. Yes, some people like you have reported the elimination of certain algaes like cyno and GHA but IMO what it does is help tip the scales in your favour along with other methods working with them to reduce/eliminate the issue.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. It will help nullify ammonia by turning it into nitrate.
I don't pretend an Oxydator will cure undesirable algae but that it is an aid in doing so. Yes, some people like you have reported the elimination of certain algaes like cyno and GHA but IMO what it does is help tip the scales in your favour along with other methods working with them to reduce/eliminate the issue.
Always wondered if the Oxydator helps with algae problems by reducing the CO2 in an aquarium? Read that the algae feeds on the CO2 in the aquarium. Does putting more O2 in the aquarium crowd out some of the CO2?

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always wondered if the Oxydator helps with algae problems by reducing the CO2 in an aquarium? Read that the algae feeds on the CO2 in the aquarium. Does putting more O2 in the aquarium crowd out some of the CO2?
Nope, Oxydators have no direct affect on CO2 according to the manufacturers. An Oxydator will increase redox and water quality.

Tang22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - an Oxydator uses a catylist to convert Hydrogen Peroxide to oxygen.

Water quality goes up tremendously with an Oxydator. The Oxydator's oxidizing capacity will improve your water quality and many harmful contaminants in your water will be neutralized. Oxydator’s are also an aid to fighting algae problems.

I was actually just referring to a post I saw earlier from Lasse.
the oxydator is only a way of dosing peroxide without electricity.

I have read many threads in which @Lasse and @atoll contributed to on this matter and the benefits sure sound worth it. So much so, that I just ordered a W model and 12% peroxide + a few more Catalyst for insurance to try to get a white spot breakout under control

@Lasse - my setup is the following: 160G Display. 40G Sump. Total water volume displaced ~150G. I have 7 fishes, mostly all tangs. Several LPS and SPS coral frags and a few anemones, Chaeto in my sump. Despite QTing it looks like white spot found a way into my system. I have been using Polyplab Medic for over a week now at double/triple the dose it seems to be helping but has upset a few Gonipora. What solution and # of catalyst would you recommend for my setup? I am very excited with the prospects of running an Oxydator full time to improve overall health and provide a steadier stream than straight Peroxide on a pump or polyp lab can offer.

Last edited:

Tang22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things often missed about the Oxydator is its ability to nullify ammonia by turning it into nitrate.
By this statement do you mean it will support the growth of more beneficial bacteria and thereby help reduce ammonia

or

that the Oxydator itself will neutralize ammonia which in turn provides less food for the bacteria and will reduce their population.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By this statement do you mean it will support the growth of more beneficial bacteria and thereby help reduce ammonia

or

that the Oxydator itself will neutralize ammonia which in turn provides less food for the bacteria and will reduce their population.
Neither

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse - my setup is the following: 160G Display. 40G Sump. Total water volume displaced ~150G. I have 7 fishes, mostly all tangs. Several LPS and SPS coral frags and a few anemones, Chaeto in my sump. Despite QTing it looks like white spot found a way into my system. I have been using Polyplab Medic for over a week now at double/triple the dose it seems to be helping but has upset a few Gonipora. What solution and # of catalyst would you recommend for my setup? I am very excited with the prospects of running an Oxydator full time to improve overall health and provide a steadier stream than straight Peroxide on a pump or polyp lab can offer.
I use 3 catalyst and 12% peroxide in my 80 gallon tank. Oxydator A. 250 ml peroxide. 7 - 10 days to empty. This is in the upper region and normally I fill up the oxydator every 20 - 25 day - it means around a week without peroxide. When I introduce new fish I fill up when its empty. But it have take around 4 years to come up to these figures - from the beginning I run 2 catalyst and 6 % peroxide, after a while 2 catalyst and 9 % peroxide and so on. In your case I maybe start with 1-2 catalyst and 12 % peroxide. The dose is probably not linear according to numbers of catalysts or solution strength. It is not sure that 1 catalyst and 12% is equal to 2 catalyst and 6 %. You have to test and be look for responses among your corals. The fish will handle it - even with some overdosing. 160 G - around 600 L. You can see the proposed dosing from the Söchting below. Taken from here

1640427145683.png

I do not know if it is possible to run Polylabs medic at the same time as you dose peroxide. If it looks like the drug have some positive effects - you maybe should stop dosing it when you start the oxydator and look for changes. If it get worse - either rise the number of catalyst or test a low dose medic together with your oxydator. In every single aquarium - it is an unknown landscape and you have to test which management that is the best in just your aquarium.

Please do not miss to give a feedback of your successes or setbacks in this thread - or start an own thread about fighting ick with oxydators.

Sometimes anemones have been reported to not stand peroxide very well - have an eye on them. However - I have some bubble tip anemones in an aquarium there I add peroxide manually during some weeks - no response at all from them

Sincerely Lasse

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good thread atoll.
Been reading it for last few months,will post so can refer back another time as I believe higher dissolved oxygen has huge benefits and am interested in getting a oxydator down the line.

Thanks

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good thread atoll.
Been reading it for last few months,will post so can refer back another time as I believe higher dissolved oxygen has huge benefits and am interested in getting a oxydator down the line.

Thanks
Your welcome.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13:35 - we had the dinner yesterday (Swede celebrate Christmas evening - 24/12 - with a smorgasbord called julbord before the christmas gifts are given) but this year I will have a second around 17:00 :D

Sincerely Lasse

Tang22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 3 catalyst and 12% peroxide in my 80 gallon tank. Oxydator A. 250 ml peroxide. 7 - 10 days to empty. This is in the upper region and normally I fill up the oxydator every 20 - 25 day - it means around a week without peroxide. When I introduce new fish I fill up when its empty. But it have take around 4 years to come up to these figures - from the beginning I run 2 catalyst and 6 % peroxide, after a while 2 catalyst and 9 % peroxide and so on. In your case I maybe start with 1-2 catalyst and 12 % peroxide. The dose is probably not linear according to numbers of catalysts or solution strength. It is not sure that 1 catalyst and 12% is equal to 2 catalyst and 6 %. You have to test and be look for responses among your corals. The fish will handle it - even with some overdosing. 160 G - around 600 L. You can see the proposed dosing from the Söchting below. Taken from here

1640427145683.png

I do not know if it is possible to run Polylabs medic at the same time as you dose peroxide. If it looks like the drug have some positive effects - you maybe should stop dosing it when you start the oxydator and look for changes. If it get worse - either rise the number of catalyst or test a low dose medic together with your oxydator. In every single aquarium - it is an unknown landscape and you have to test which management that is the best in just your aquarium.

Please do not miss to give a feedback of your successes or setbacks in this thread - or start an own thread about fighting ick with oxydators.

Sometimes anemones have been reported to not stand peroxide very well - have an eye on them. However - I have some bubble tip anemones in an aquarium there I add peroxide manually during some weeks - no response at all from them

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks. Once the Oxydator arrives I intend to stop medic. I'll provide an update to share the experience.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yall convinced me I got an oxydator a and put it behind the rocks in my display so its under 2 foot of water. Stopped bubbling overnight but I hear that's normal. I added one catalyst and 6% to be on the safe side. Its hard to get level in the display does anyone know if it matters if its on a bit of a tilt?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every evening before I go to bed - I wisper "..oxydator, oxydator, oxydator..." to my tank inhabitants..

It seems to help a lot - no parasites in sight!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back