PAR light meter app on iphone

Amy Dawson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just curious if anyone has used a light meter app? I was looking through apps last night and downloaded it. Wondering how accurate it is to test lighting above a tank? I believe it's for photographers. Maybe it's a dumb question but I'm trying to find out if I have enough lighting for my tank

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hejjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Galactica for iOS is pretty decent in terms of getting a general idea. There was a thread a while back talking about the same question you asked and for the most part Galactica seemed to be recommended the most.

I'm on mobile and can't find that thread atm.

Your lfs might lend or rent theirs to you. My lfs told me as long as I brought it back same day it was free.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have access to borrow a PAR meter, like @hejjo said, do that. Still pick up the handheld lux meter.

Once you have your hands on BOTH the lux meter and the PAR meter, you can create a conversion factor for your lights.

Once you have your light's conversion factor POST IT HERE ONLINE so anyone else with your lights can use it too. :)

But seriously, once you have the conversion factor, every measurement you take with a lux meter can be perfectly converted to a PAR reading.

No need to have the actual PAR meter in your possession after that.

brandon p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just curious if anyone has used a light meter app? I was looking through apps last night and downloaded it. Wondering how accurate it is to test lighting above a tank? I believe it's for photographers. Maybe it's a dumb question but I'm trying to find out if I have enough lighting for my tank
Hi Amy. I tested 14 Lux meter apps on three devices. Two were somewhat accurate but had a learning curve. "Galactica" on iphone, and " lux lightmeter" by chrunchybytebox for android. phone and tablet.

This is far easier and more accurate. a camera works far differently than a real lightmeter.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lighting-upgrade-with-a-lux-meter-saltyfilmfolks.248417/

SOLD OUT. Which is fine because I’d much rather ballpark-it with a phone app (just getting an idea of where the layers are, where the hot/cool spots are, bc you CANNOT see every color correctly) than to buy some crap off Amazon.
If after spending $4,000 putting together a ‘budget-build’ reef tank you simply CANNOT be bothered to rent an Apogee for $75 +/- then this phone app absolutely rocks!
BUY IT NICE OR BUY IT TWICE!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back