PHplus Reef Zlements

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PHplus Reef Zlements
Has anyone tried this product, and is it available in the USA ?
If you have tried this product, what are your thoughts of its impact on your PH.
And for all you really smart people, what do you think the product contains in it that elevates PH without elevating the Alk?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No chemical additive can boost pH and not alk (and they do not claim this that I can see).

However, some of its claims are simply not correct or at least are misleading. No chemical can boost pH more than kalkwasser (hydroxide) per unit of alk added. They are probably hiding behind the idea that one may be able to add it faster or to a greater extent than kalkwasser that is limited by evaporation.

It may be a two part using either carbonate or hydroxide for the alk part. I have diy recipe threads using food grade sodium hydroxide as the alk part. Maybe they just copied it. lol

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No chemical additive can boost pH and not alk (and they do not claim this that I can see).

However, some of its claims are simply not correct or at least are misleading. No chemical can boost pH more than kalkwasser (hydroxide) per unit of alk added. They are probably hiding behind the idea that one may be able to add it faster or to a greater extent than kalkwasser that is limited by evaporation.

It may be a two part using either carbonate or hydroxide for the alk part. I have diy recipe threads using food grade sodium hydroxide as the alk part. Maybe they just copied it. lol
They probably did just copy you !!!!!!!
Thanks as always Randy

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Reef Zlements PH Plus since last September and can honestly say what ever is in it work’s incredibly well.

I had issues with the pH being at 7.9 first thing in the morning and since dosing PH PLUS it’s now sitting at 8.2 and rock steady.

My Coraline algae went crazy within days of using RZ Ph plus and it’s now a thick deep purple and pink crust over everything. If I add a new rock within a few weeks it’s totally covered. I’ve got Asterina starfish that eat Coraline and they don’t make a dent in it now.

Stoney Coral growth has increased dramatically as well, they really love the higher and more consistent stable ph.

I love Reef Zlements products and do a Monthly ICP test with them and just so impressed. Don’t know what they’ve put in it, but it’s awesome, game changer for me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Reef Zlements PH Plus since last September and can honestly say what ever is in it work’s incredibly well.

I had issues with the pH being at 7.9 first thing in the morning and since dosing PH PLUS it’s now sitting at 8.2 and rock steady.

My Coraline algae went crazy within days of using RZ Ph plus and it’s now a thick deep purple and pink crust over everything. If I add a new rock within a few weeks it’s totally covered. I’ve got Asterina starfish that eat Coraline and they don’t make a dent in it now.

Stoney Coral growth has increased dramatically as well, they really love the higher and more consistent stable ph.

I love Reef Zlements products and do a Monthly ICP test with them and just so impressed. Don’t know what they’ve put in it, but it’s awesome, game changer for me.

What were you using before this product for alk and calcium?

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is good that it works that well for you but I don't think there is something extraordinary in their Two Part additive they are probably using Randy's high pH Two Part recipe with sodium hydroxide. What makes difference is probably the trace elements in the product (and not only in this product because it seems you are using also other products).
IME Calcium reactor and Kalk in ATO is the best way dosing for the big demanding SPS dominated tanks, yeah it is quite hard to adjust but still. All you need is just some trace and micro elements.

The Reef Dork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is interesting. I currently dose kalkwasser on my tank (photo for reference).
E5D374F8-4FA6-4DF9-9AED-4E2B2F6F397D-42881-000007B92664682B.jpeg

I also dose quite a lot of two part (ati essentials plus which boosts pH) because saturated kalk doesn't meet my alkalinity demand. I'm hoping to achieve the same pH boost by switching to just dosing RZ pH Plus - in theory could the fact I'll be dosing much more pH Plus than I can saturated kalk (3 litres per day is my limit) give me the boost I'm hoping for?

I appreciate I'm probably asking you to speculate quite a lot! I have seen a data sheet before that said something like "up to 15%" sodium hydroxide but I can't find it now. If my question is too speculative, same question but applied to your sodium hydroxide DIY recipe!

Asulu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. I currently dose kalkwasser on my tank (photo for reference).
E5D374F8-4FA6-4DF9-9AED-4E2B2F6F397D-42881-000007B92664682B.jpeg

I also dose quite a lot of two part (ati essentials plus which boosts pH) because saturated kalk doesn't meet my alkalinity demand. I'm hoping to achieve the same pH boost by switching to just dosing RZ pH Plus - in theory could the fact I'll be dosing much more pH Plus than I can saturated kalk (3 litres per day is my limit) give me the boost I'm hoping for?

I appreciate I'm probably asking you to speculate quite a lot! I have seen a data sheet before that said something like "up to 15%" sodium hydroxide but I can't find it now. If my question is too speculative, same question but applied to your sodium hydroxide DIY recipe!
have you tried reef zelements?
how does it perform against ati?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's claims are misleading at best.

There is NO possible chemical that can raise pH more than limewater/kalkwasser or a diy two part made from sodium hydroxide per unit of alkalinity dosed.

The pH plus does not say what it's alkalinity ingredient is, but it may be sodium hydroxide.

However you dose hydroxide, it will have a higher pH boost peer unit of alkalinity added than does the ATI two part, which is carbonate or bicarbonate based .

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 39 27.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 14 9.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 53 37.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back