Plastic Spray Paint Rustoleum vs Krylon

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some searching on this and it actually dates back to the early 2000s of people asking this same question. I got a mixed response from the threads I read so I'll ask again for 2017.

Is there a difference between the Krylon Fusion and the Rust-o-leum brand of plastic paint? I painted a section of a container that I'd like to use to block light (inside the tank) for a fuge. I've used krylon in the past but I couldn't find any locally and ended up using the rustoleum.

OP
OP
mlivvy

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the 2 hardware stores, didn't even think of walmart and thats where I always got it. :oops:

I'm wondering if I should just repaint it. I'll wait to see if others chime in.

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with Krylon after reading past reviews and I was able to find it at ACE hardware. So far so good. I have a few valves that get submerged it the sump from time to time with no issues. I did learn that the Krylon seems to have a longer cure time to bond to the plastic. In the past I used Rust-O-Leum with no issues but wanted to play it safer this go around.

jose7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used Krylon even on pipes that are submerged. Never had a problem and I've been doing this for about 13yrs.

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok since people are telling you Krylon is reef safe and you know that already, I did some searching because I am not super busy right now.
I have seen a couple people say they used it and it was fine, one person said compared ingredients and were similar so assumed it was safe, and many people that say why risk it we know krylon is safe.

If I had to guess I would guess after curing out of water for a couple days it would be perfectly fine, however that is a guess and I fall in the last group rather not risk it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back