please help

Alisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello we were switching our tank over today and our flame wrasse started acting weird, he keeps floating to the top of the tank and can't seem to get anywhere. Maybe swim bladder infection? His mouth keeps coming out of the water, do we need to keep his mouth under water??? Please help me if you have any experience of knowledge :( he's not looking so hot

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any physical signs of illness or infections? Pics would help greatly as well if you can post them. The more info provided the better we can help

[HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]

@melypr1985

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say switching over, do you mean you moved sand, rock and water to a new tank and then put the fish in? If so, how deep / old was the sandbed? That is the only thing I can think of that would cause fish to surface, assuming the new water is RODI saltwater or equivalent. Any other fish or inverts acting similar to the wrasse? There could be many things, you may want to add more details. Also, do you have another system you can place him in temporarily? I Hope he pulls through.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, we need more info, pics and what did you do in the switch over?
Any other fish or corals in the system/
CUC or shrimp?
What kind of filtration you run?

OP
OP
Alisha

Alisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, no other signs of illness besides his belly looks a little bloated. We placed him in a clean piece of pvc so he can hopefully relax, he kept trying to prop himself behind and under things so we thought that would help. We placed all the fish in a 20 gallon container with a heater while we rinsed the sand to put in our new tank. We had everything in a 210g and had a custom 105g made so we are using all the same rock, sand and water and everyone seems fine besides the male flame wrasse.

OP
OP
Alisha

Alisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm so nervous for my wrasse I'm all over the place, we didn't have any of the fish in the new tank yet so he wasn't mixed with the dirty sand we have corals female flame, melanurus, pyles, 2 cardinals, blue spotted watchmen and pistol shrimp but they are all fine.

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh, so he was freaking out in the 20g holding tank? Maybe stress from being netted, is he staying in the PVC you placed in for him?

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing that came to mind, wrasses like to head straight under the rocks when they stress, any chance he may have received any pressure when moving the rocks to the new tank?

OP
OP
Alisha

Alisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is staying in the pvc at least for now he stuck his face out a tiny bit but that's it. I don't think any rocks got him we only had smaller rocks that had coral attached to them in the container and we set them all on the bottom before we put the fish in. But when we netted him his teeth (or something in his mouth) got caught on the net but we wiggled the net and he got off and was breathing heavy buy seemed ok.

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, let's hope it was just netting stress and the fact he was snagged a few seconds. Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong or changed anything in water parameters to drastically, so crossing fingers that it's just him stressing out. Do you have a screen or top on the holding tank? I'd make sure it remains covered with something, stressed wrasses like to fly.... I can't think of anything that would cause the bloating, though, if he wasn't bloated before being netted, there may be some type of internal injury. Keep an eye on him and keep us posted!

OP
OP
Alisha

Alisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep there's a top so he can't jump out. Thanks for the help! I'll do an update on any changes, thanks again!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm late to the party. When EXACTLY did this start? Did it start before the transfer happened? Was he acting different before you netted him out and into the holding tank? Or did it start after he was moved? Is he currently breathing hard? Any redness (i know it's stupid cause he's probably red anyway), or dark spots on the body or damage to his body otherwise? Do you have any Epsom Salt on hand?

OP
OP
Alisha

Alisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seemed fine after being netted and put into the holding container he was breathing heavy but all of the fish were from being caught. I didn't see any damage to his body besides his belly was bloated and he couldn't stay down he kept floating to the top. But the poor guy didn't make it :( if this were to happen to another fish what would I do with the Epsom salt?

Reeflogic