Plumbing with colored PVC piping

skipcurl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all colored PVC pipes Furniture Grade? If you read up on this the manufactures state that they are not to be used for Plumbing. Why is that?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all colored PVC pipes Furniture Grade? If you read up on this the manufactures state that they are not to be used for Plumbing. Why is that?
I believe it is because they are not pressure rated. If you used it in home plumbing it would not hold up to high pressure. In our aquariums we are not using enough pressure for this to be an issue.
Because they are not tested, and don’t have astm numbers or certifications required for plumbing, but it’s the same stuff just colored
When I used colored PVC it absolutely was NOT the same as sch40 or sch80. It is absolutely thinner, softer, and IME dangerous when using a miter saw to cut. I had a piece literally explode and cut my hand quite severely.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s all pvc should do exactly the same thing, sch 80 is thicker, any pvc can blow up like that especially when in freezing temperatures
True. but I live in Phoenix and it was ~75 outside at the time. I did not buy that PVC on BRS, but at the LFS, so it may have been different, but it was not sch40. You couldn't even cut it with a PVC cutter because it just flexed and wouldn't cut.

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. but I live in Phoenix and it was ~75 outside at the time. I did not buy that PVC on BRS, but at the LFS, so it may have been different, but it was not sch40. You couldn't even cut it with a PVC cutter because it just flexed and wouldn't cut.
The BRS stuff is stiffer than PVC. I think you are working with something different.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make thin wall pvc. Some is used for duct work

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most online aquarium retailer sell the furniture grade which is not flimsy. Just shoot them an email or call them and ask. The thickness of the blue PVC that is got from BRS is the same (or about the same) and schedule 40. Like others said, furniture grade is not pressure rated but out aquarium pumps don't create enough pressure to bust the pipes.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 151 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back