OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is copper harmful to humans? I got some on me while i was trying to get air bubbles out of syringe

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just realized i picked up a salifert CU test kit that only has a few months left on the expiration date. In general, do these kits really expire on the dates they give or is there some time to use them after? If so, how much? I have salifert, Nyos, hanna checker, and api test kits.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After i dosed last night and then fed in the morning they didnt seem to want to eat which was expected. However, i just fed them now and they did eat. Just dosed a little more copper as well.
I think what i am going to do is always dose after they eat so i know they are getting something.

So im not use to have a QT tank and a tank with hardly any equipment. After i fed them yesterday and this morning the tank clouded up pretty good. Im going to assume this is from all the uneaten fish and no carbon in the tank? Anything to worry about?

When using copper and when you would do your water changes would you dose copper in your new batch of water and get it to match the water in the QT? Or would you just change the water and adjust the copper in the tank itself?

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After i dosed last night and then fed in the morning they didnt seem to want to eat which was expected. However, i just fed them now and they did eat. Just dosed a little more copper as well.
I think what i am going to do is always dose after they eat so i know they are getting something.

So im not use to have a QT tank and a tank with hardly any equipment. After i fed them yesterday and this morning the tank clouded up pretty good. Im going to assume this is from all the uneaten fish and no carbon in the tank? Anything to worry about?

When using copper and when you would do your water changes would you dose copper in your new batch of water and get it to match the water in the QT? Or would you just change the water and adjust the copper in the tank itself?

I would match copper dose to QT

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Always add the copper to the new water before adding it to the QT. Match the copper amount to the amount that is in the QT unless you are still raising the levels.

Also always suck out any uneaten food after feeding to keep things from clouding up. A water change will help with this.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use a brine shrimp net to scoop out uneaten food & fish poop.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea, i like this better than sucking it out so i dont have to worry about replacing water.

Just keep a very close eye on the ammonia. Is the LR the only thing you have for biological filtration? Do you have a HOB powerfilter?

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a sponge from my sump in the QT now that i took out the LR. And i do have a HOB filter with another sponge in it as well.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested again for ammonia. Yesterday it was zero today it is 1.0ppm.

Can you give me a run down on what ammonia numbers mean? I know they should be zero. But i dont have time to change the water every day or every other day, i have 4 kids with 2 in sports right now.

So i 1.0 "yeah, we know its in there"
2.0 "could use a water change
4.0 "better do a water change"
8.0 " how are your fish alive"

Can you give me a breakdown so i know how serious the numbers are?

Dont get me wrong, ill do a water change right now if 1.0 is superbad, i just really dont have the time but ill find it.

Nitates were zero and everything was good too. And im at about .25 with the copper over 3 days.

The water is just super cloudy, would a skimmer help with the cloudy water and ammonia at all?

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test are you using for amnonia? Cupramine will show up false positive as ammonia on API and others, the alert badge is your best bet at this point- what does it read?

Cloudy water could be due to bacteria bloom/cycle

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure @Humblefish will chime in soon but I believe we should be fine, my api ammonia was reading 4+ with cup at max dose. But we should probably invest in a seachem ammonia alert badge at this point, it can read an accurate level of ammonia w/cupramine and make your life a whole lot easier.

Straight from seachems website

"Ammonia test kits can not distinguish ammonia from the amine based complex present in Cupramine™ and will therefore give a false high reading for ammonia while using Cupramine™. Our Ammonia Alert®and MultiTest™ Free & Total Ammonia test kit do not suffer from this problem as they utilize a gas exchange technology that can distinguish ammonia from amines."

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna order some meds to treat flukes to for the heck of it and because its going to become apart of my regular regime.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna order some meds to treat flukes to for the heck of it and because its going to become apart of my regular regime.

You want Prazipro or API General Cure for this. +1 to @Alanc425's statement about most ammonia test kits giving false positives with copper. Seachem ammonia alert badge is the workaround or you can also use the Seachem ammonia test kit with Cupramine only.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
petco carries them too, if your LFS doesnt

Good call! Stopped there today and picked some up, just put in tank and waiting for readout.

The thing that killed me though was it was sold as a combo pack. PH and Ammonia. You could use the ammonia badge in fresh/salt water but the PH could only be used in fresh. I have no idea why they would sale both together if both cant be USED together.

I fed this afternoon and everyone but the yellow tang ate. I picked up a veggie clip to see if she would eat some seaweed, we will see. I didnt want to use the one from the DT. Gonna soak the seaweed in garlic too to see if that will help.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back