polishing Acrylic

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im getting close with my 500 g display build but Ive had some issues with polishing the display. I wet sanded this tank both sides starting with 1500 up to 6000g, then using Novus 3 step and I still have very faint scratches to where its not crystal clear. What am I doing wrong?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you alternate directions when changing between different grits of sandpaper? Also you can use a buffing wheel for the final polish which may help. Also those faint scratches will not be nearly as noticeable with water in the tank/

OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we only sanded in a up & down motion, and I did hand polish with three different micro rags and then with a power ball. Should I try again changing directions, what about a circular motion

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if you can use a large orbital sander when you do the novus 3 and 2 before buffing with something like an electric orbital car buffer...

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 orbital sander will work as well. The way I was shown to do it is to start with the corse paper in a vertical direction until all scratches and blemishes are gone. Them in a horizontal direction with the next grit until all vertical scratches are gone and so on. Finish up with a buffing wheel and polishing compound. Hope this helps

OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well if you look on my build, closed loop it shows my build. I am going away for a week for so R&R. Then I am back full force to get the tank up and running. I will attempt polishing again, to think I have any scratches bugs the hell out of me

OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 orbital sander will work as well. The way I was shown to do it is to start with the corse paper in a vertical direction until all scratches and blemishes are gone. Them in a horizontal direction with the next grit until all vertical scratches are gone and so on. Finish up with a buffing wheel and polishing compound. Hope this helps

hey buddy, what grit paper are you using? BTW I'm in Stamford, Ct maybe we can hook up and you can show me :smile:

Last edited:

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey buddy, what grit paper are you using? BTW I'm in Stamford, Ct maybe we can hook up and you can show me :smile:

I went from 1800 grit all the way to 8000 grit. The "sand paper" I use is micro-mesh. I have used others but now that I have used the micro mesh I wouldn't use anything else. It was actually developed originally to polish the canopies on jet fighters and airplanes. If the scratches are not too bad or deep I would recommend starting around 3200-4000 grit to minimize work and adding new scratches. As long as you can't really feel the scratches with your finger nail this should work out fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I have the Micro mesh stuff, once you get up in the grit it almost doesn't seem like its doing much. No you cant feel any scratches they are very very faint. After I polish it with the Novus its real clear but if you look at the front on an angel you can see faint scratches

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See what Im dealing with.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386359286070.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386359286070.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 185
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386359307968.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386359307968.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 221

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will always have scratches with an acrylic tank. if any scratches will bother you, then you're setting yourself up for failure with an acrylic tank.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried filling the tank and seeing how it looks full? Any scratches are much more noticeable in an empty tank especially small ones.

OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no it has not been filled yet, Kschweer I will re sand and polish it once more and fill it. I then will post results. the process of sanding and polish the face and the inside face takes me all day so I cant say Im rushing it. Im thinking of trying out the orbital sander

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm usually on the forums on my phone but if I remember correctly if you click on the persons username a window drops down and you can select send message in that window

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back