Popcorn ceiling killing my hard coral?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that ever happened to me, Id pay my lfs to use their change/service truck and bring me a 100% mixed up ready full water change. maybe enough for 2x 90% changes all at once so your fish can swim low and be in-tank during the drain. they can heat it and get the salinity ready remotely then truck it to me. Id siphon it all out the window, then they'd pump it back in from the truck. large tank cpr. they have a van with a huge storage vat in it for multiple changes around town as they do their circuit for maintenance at dr's, banks etc.

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well how does this solve the problem?changing water is a bandaid for some things when there is sometimes a different issue, he said he has done water changes corals still not happy.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not run a grounding probe. But it might be helpful to check it in a bucket anyway.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe before u go to bed u could throw something over top of tank see if debris is also getting in to tank from ceiling
There was debris I found on the rim of the tank. I have nailed fabric to the ceiling to avoid any more contamination

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did someone delete a post? It looks like you're talking to yourself. LOL
Well how does this solve the problem?changing water is a bandaid for some things when there is sometimes a different issue, he said he has done water changes corals still not happy.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's just what I would do because 90% is way more export than mixed 30% ones... Id def rip change the tank if it was mine. this is a fully atypical loss for biological reasons in my opinion based off post trends over the years, an external contaminant is most likely imo.

full water changes saved my own tank from other NDE's, its a fine go-to option that harms nothing should it not help. I figure the corals lost so far are equal to well over the cost of the water for a prepped run emergency like this, with no pinpointed aggressor.

the last time a full WC saved me was when my water storage buckets were all full of reefcrystals 5 yrs worth of precipitate scum at the bottom and I used to store my change water totally capped. a batch had rotted and went anoxic/stink and it poisoned my old nano but not enough I could readily smell it

it was the mass migration of all micro stars in the tank to the very top area of water/air interface within 3 mins as the dead giveaway

mixed up a new batch within a few mins, dissolved it out and put it back in and saved the tank.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have missed that part, when you mentioned screening for more falling bits I was thinking the volt tune didn't fix it all up.

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe u could take some water to lfs and get tests done to,just a dbl check see if any tests may be off

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still just don't understand how it can be three heads of a 7 head choral while the other four do just fine. It seems so local to me
that's just what I would do because 90% is way more export than mixed 30% ones... Id def rip change the tank if it was mine. this is a fully atypical loss for biological reasons in my opinion based off post trends over the years, an external contaminant is most likely imo.

full water changes saved my own tank from other NDE's, its a fine go-to option that harms nothing should it not help. I figure the corals lost so far are equal to well over the cost of the water for a prepped run emergency like this, with no pinpointed aggressor.

the last time a full WC saved me was when my water storage buckets were all full of reefcrystals 5 yrs worth of precipitate scum at the bottom and I used to store my change water totally capped. a batch had rotted and went anoxic/stink and it poisoned my old nano but not enough I could readily smell it

it was the mass migration of all micro stars in the tank to the very top area of water/air interface within 3 mins as the dead giveaway

mixed up a new batch within a few mins, dissolved it out and put it back in and saved the tank.

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are Lots of threads on this issue and it gets beat to death, gounding ... stray voltage, etc. Depending on the amount and size of equipment I would not say it is out of the ordinary. Conversely, unless you are running a grounding probe it is almost impossible not to have some degree of potential in your tank .. just physics.

Think of it like this. You slide down a long plastic slide and accumulate some static. Relative to ground you could actually be in the 1000s of volts. Yet you are none the wiser even though you would register super high voltage on a meter (like the tank inhabitants) until you touch someone and that charge has a path (grounding probe). It is the current, and not voltage, you need to be concerned with.

I am not advocating people should or should not run a grounding probe for their personal safety, but if a tank sits at 20 volts w/out a path to ground, the inhabitants should not be aware of it.

I don't want to derail the thread into another beating of the horse, my opinion is though is that is not the cause. I feel your pain OP. I had a 180 years ago that went downhill at about the 18 month mark. I moved and had to break the tank down anyway, but the issue was never really figured out. Other things I looked at were source water (was my RO/DI going bad?) did the water company start putting in chloramines, bad batch of salt, bad refractomoter, leaching metals from a magnent or piece of equipment, etc.

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 2 things are wrong something leached in from ceiling and some equipment may be faulty.but this is not my tank nor am I there to see stuff so all I can do is help with elimating possible problems.

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still just don't understand how it can be three heads of a 7 head choral while the other four do just fine. It seems so local to me

Any possible pests? peppermint shrimp or something that might have all of a sudden developed a taste for LPS?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sowel

electricity isn't my strong point for sure, so if I see what you are saying, its that a grounding probe might make his voltage issue manifest in a dangerous way for the inhabitants vs leaving that potentiation ungrounded where they aren't impacted even by a measure of 100 v? the ground probe would allow direct circuiting from the bad pump through the corals/water and to the ground= bad but safer for someone who might be reaching in and they would be the only ground risk = bad for the reacher if im interp correctly? if my tank ran with anything other than an airstone id have researched this in the nineties.

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can plug a pump in rt now that has stray voltage and my tang fish will act like a spook darts from one side to another hides, as soon as pump is unplugged he stopped acting that way

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are helping quite a bit. Just mulling it over with other people is helpful. I would not worry about repeating things or not having the correct opinion. You all are just giving me arrows it is for me to choose what direction. Thank you guys

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back