Popeye or Worse?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

OK I want to play it safe and treat everything for 72 days. I am setting up the qt tonight. What is the smallest size tank I can get away with for 2 tangs, 3 wrasses, 2 clowns, and a royal gramma? And can I use display tank water since I will be medicating anyway?

I also have prazipro and cupramine on hand. What med do I need for the bacterial infection that my LFS would most likely have? And what order do I put the meds in?

You'll do the copper and the antibiotics at the same time. You'll need at least a 40 breeder for that many fish and an oversized HOB filter. You may also want a small powerhead, pointed at the surface of the water, to help with oxygenation of the water since all these meds are likely to pull O2 out of the water. I suggest kanaplex at a minimum. You can also do Furan 2.

Yes, you can use display water, though I always recommend using freshly mixed saltwater to give the fish a clean slate. You wont be transferring free swimmers with the water and fish into the QT so they won't be in danger of having the parasite still attaching to them while in QT... they will only be dealing with the ones already attached. See what I mean?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll do the copper and the antibiotics at the same time. You'll need at least a 40 breeder for that many fish and an oversized HOB filter. You may also want a small powerhead, pointed at the surface of the water, to help with oxygenation of the water since all these meds are likely to pull O2 out of the water. I suggest kanaplex at a minimum. You can also do Furan 2.

Yes, you can use display water, though I always recommend using freshly mixed saltwater to give the fish a clean slate. You wont be transferring free swimmers with the water and fish into the QT so they won't be in danger of having the parasite still attaching to them while in QT... they will only be dealing with the ones already attached. See what I mean?

^^ Agree

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Caught all fish put into 55 gal QT. Treating with copper and furan 2. Holding off on prazi for now? Have a large power head in there too. Going fallow until March 22. Then I should be good?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Caught all fish put into 55 gal QT. Treating with copper and furan 2. Holding off on prazi for now? Have a large power head in there too. Going fallow until March 22. Then I should be good?
Sounds like a good plan. I'm too lazy to calculate but make sure it's 76 days or more :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like a plan. ;)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree. Sounds good. You can save the prazi treatment for after the copper treatment is complete.

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I've had these fish for years and grown very attached to them...here's hoping!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does prazipro hurt corals would a person soak the food in it or what?

Prazi should be dosed directly to the water. It is considered reef safe and I and many others have not had problems dosing it in the display. The only problem I saw was a bit of fading in my monties, which they quickly recovered from. You do have to watch your feather dusters and bristle worms.... but again, I've never had a problem with any losses while dosing prazi.

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated with furan 2 and cupramine last night. The tang's eye is still a little swollen, but definitely not as hazy. I will dose the second round of cupramine tomorrow night, and another dose of furan 2 tonight. All fish seem active, no lethargy, and are eating well.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated with furan 2 and cupramine last night. The tang's eye is still a little swollen, but definitely not as hazy. I will dose the second round of cupramine tomorrow night, and another dose of furan 2 tonight. All fish seem active, no lethargy, and are eating well.

Just be sure to keep going wtih the furan 2 for a minimum of 10 days... even if his eye looks 100% better before that.

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I lost a chromis a month ago and could never find it, should I take the rock apart and look for the body while I go fallow? I have no clean up crew that would have eaten it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I lost a chromis a month ago and could never find it, should I take the rock apart and look for the body while I go fallow? I have no clean up crew that would have eaten it.

You've got something in there that would eat it. Bristle worms, tiny starfish, little crabs, snails ect. There's always something in there that will eat a dead body. I wouldn't worry about the chromis body since the parasites need a live body to feed on.

OP
OP
Jim C

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 @Humblefish
According to the directions on the furan 2 box I should be doing my fourth and last dose tonight. It says to do a 25% water change, but I just realized it I don't have any salt and all the stores are now closed. Should I still dose without the water change?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 @Humblefish
According to the directions on the furan 2 box I should be doing my fourth and last dose tonight. It says to do a 25% water change, but I just realized it I don't have any salt and all the stores are now closed. Should I still dose without the water change?

There's nothing else you could use? Distilled water?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 @Humblefish

Wait until tomorrow, do the WC and then administer the final dosage.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back